• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Nurse Angel Ririka

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
Awesome article. I've actually heard of this show before which excites me. Though i;ve never seen it.

And about that link:

Dear God why was one of them in a wheelchair? And the moon surfboards...
I'm so glad that wasn't on tv because I may have never started liking anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
liloaznangel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
I feel so happy to say that I have actually seen this show! It was by chance that I was up early walking around the video rooms one morning during anime next 2005? It was a lot of fun to have watched 2 episodes of it ^__^
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quote
I really like Nurse Angel Ririka. I've been telling people they should watch it, but I didn't realize it was so hard to find.

Quote:
I have yet to see a VHS rip show up online, and the one group that was making a fresh fansub off of DVD seems to have disbanded after only 19 episodes. Perhaps someone reading this will take the initiative.

The VHS fansubs were ripped and placed online a few years ago. I definitely still have all of them. One of the episodes suffered from a problem where the sound was off by about 10 seconds, making it hard to watch, but otherwise the online version was fine (at least for something taken from old VHS fansubs). I would bet that they are still available online if you know where to look, since I recently found Hime-chan's Ribbon fansubs ripped from VHS fansubs by the same person at about the same time.
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
"The Magical Girl genre seems to have died out over the last few years. Every few seasons, somebody tries to resurrect it, but usually tends to stick too close to formula adds too much fanservice, and the show dies a slow, low-rated death."

Tell that to Nanoha. 2 seasons strong with a 3rd this spring.

Needless to say, this is definitely an anime I'll be checking out. The old-school magical-girl genre looks so inviting outside Sailor Moon, which I couldn't stand either. And on that note... *stares at trailer* WOW. That is so freakin' wrong.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:30 am Reply with quote
I have seen about 10 episodes of Nurse Angel Ririka SOS and found it very enjoyable. It's definitely one of the titles I really want licensed, but probably one of the lease likely out of them on the account of its age and mahou shoujo-ness. I suppose if things like Kodocha sold well, I would hope FUNimation picked it up, but the reports I've heard on that were not encouraging. Sad
scortia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:57 am Reply with quote
I have my old fansub tape of volume one of Nurse Angel Ririka S.O.S. I tried to like it... I reaaaaally did. Not even the novelty of a dog named "Herb" kept my interest. Maybe it was just too painfully mahou shoujo for my tastes... too many elements just overpowered it for me. Fancy Lala though, came out around the same time, I believe, and I love that series. Razz
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:30 am Reply with quote
I think the magical girl genre for young girls has somewhat died out. However, there is always the other side of the magical girl genre...

That video made me laugh. I'm glad they didn't release it, but I'm curious how the whole pilot episode was like.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quote
That looks like an interesting series, I wonder if they do have R2 DVDs for them though.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:25 am Reply with quote
Buried Treasure wrote:
It was never licensed for DVD in other territories (and from what I can tell, only aired on TV in Italy).

It had been aired and dubbed in Chinese Madarin and broadcasted by Star TV Chinese in Taiwan. However, government-sponsored TV Culture Research Foundation (now renamed to Media Literacy Center and URL remains the same -- basically a "moral institution" that "teaches" citizens what to watch and not to watch) gave Ririka the following comment in year 2000:

Quote:
救護天使莉莉佳:內容過於華麗,小學生就有戰鬥能力,誇張人類的潛能,雖有正義必勝的啟發在,可是過於暴力是一大瑕疵。

Translation: "Nurse Angel Ririka SOS: Too flamboyant contents; over-exaggerating human potential by showing elementary schoolgirls capable to combat; while having the inspiration of 'justice always wins', the biggest setback is being too violent."

Oh, here are three other examples of comments made by TVCR:

Quote:
玩偶遊戲:小學生就在接吻,容易引起模仿,兒童不宜。

Kodomo no Omocha (Kodocha): Elementary schoolers kissing can lead to imitation. Not suitable for children.

Quote:
神劍闖江湖:內容極差,血腥與戰鬥描寫過多,容易造成觀眾負面影響。

Rurouni Kenshin: Extremely awful contents with too much bloodiness and fighting; can bring negative effects to its audiences.

Quote:
庫洛魔法使:內容譁眾取寵,角色設定極差,內容帶有大量的同性戀與師生戀,對發育中的青少年與兒童有錯誤的示範。

Cardcaptor Sakura: Claptrap contents with terrible character design. Contains numerous homosexual and teacher-student affairs, which brings wrong examples to developing teenagers and children.

Rolling Eyes

fighterholic wrote:
That looks like an interesting series, I wonder if they do have R2 DVDs for them though.

Link to Amazon.jp, like Buried Treasure said:

Buried Treasure wrote:
As if to further prove the show's failure, the Japanese import boxed set was released in 2004 as a limited edition pre-order only collector's set, which is often done when the manufacturer doesn't really expect retailers to stock it. Catalog #POBE-4214 if you're trying to find it used.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
sapphire1232

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:32 am Reply with quote
omg...I remember watching this show when I was in korea 8 years ago..I totally forgot about it!!! The ending was so sad, but it was pretty good. I still have the video of the first 4 episodes. Very Happy

to dormcat: Do they still show ririka at Taiwan?I kind of miss the show, and since I currently live in taiwan, maybe Ican see it again

Last edited by sapphire1232 on Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:37 am Reply with quote
sapphire1232 wrote:
to dormcat: do they still show ririka at taiwan?I kind of miss the show, and since I currently live in taiwan, maybe i can see it again

As far as I know, Star TV Chinese has no plan to rerun it, for its popularity was no match for highly popular series like Chibi Maruko-chan or Azuki-chan; both had been re-broadcasted by Star TV Chinese and other channels multiple times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:48 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
fighterholic wrote:

Link to Amazon.jp, like Buried Treasure said:

Buried Treasure wrote:
As if to further prove the show's failure, the Japanese import boxed set was released in 2004 as a limited edition pre-order only collector's set, which is often done when the manufacturer doesn't really expect retailers to stock it. Catalog #POBE-4214 if you're trying to find it used.

Pretty steep price I would say Confused And that's with ten thousand yen off.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:45 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
"The Magical Girl genre seems to have died out over the last few years. Every few seasons, somebody tries to resurrect it, but usually tends to stick too close to formula adds too much fanservice, and the show dies a slow, low-rated death."

Tell that to Nanoha. 2 seasons strong with a 3rd this spring.

Needless to say, this is definitely an anime I'll be checking out. The old-school magical-girl genre looks so inviting outside Sailor Moon, which I couldn't stand either. And on that note... *stares at trailer* WOW. That is so freakin' wrong.

Also, there's like 4 Pretty Cure series out there. Mahou shoujo definately is not dead. Razz
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:47 am Reply with quote
Several years ago, I gave Ririka a try simply because of the Daichi connection; I've never been much of a fan of the magical girl genre and I thought a Daichi directed one might get me to watch. It did, the first two episodes anyway, but I couldn't get into the rest of the show. *shrug*

Funny thing is, I turned around gave the VHS fansub to two younger cousins of mine; then, ages seven and six, respectively. They absolutely loved it, English subtitles and all.

In the years since then, they've kept asking me if I had any more, except the one volume. I felt like such a grinch for having to tell them that I didn't. I kept hoping that some US company would license the damn thing because I had two girls ready to eat up whatever they'd churn out. A shame it never happened.

They later got into shows like Princess Nine, Kodocha, Saint Tail, that Mew Mew thing and several other anime on their own. Can't say if Ririka was the catalyst or not. Even now, they still occasionally ask me about that "magical nurse show", while talking my head off about Bleach and Naruto. Maybe I'll just send them this link.
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:56 am Reply with quote
I've seen either 4 or 8 episosdes of Nurse Angel on fansubbed VHS. I remember thinking it was cute, but I don't remember all that much about it, unfortunately. It's actually half-tempting to get that boxset, the price isn't too bad considering how much DVDs tend to cost in Japan anyway...Unfortunately, my Japanese just isn't all that good.

It's nice to see Buried Treasure mentioning some of the older shoujo mahou shoujo series. I miss that kind of mahou shoujo. Pretty Cure, however, felt like a very long, very poorly done commercial advertisement. I really dislike that series...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3