• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:34 pm Reply with quote
WEll, I'll point out that it might have been interesting to see if there might have been some interaction between Kureno and Kyo, but I didn't see any between these two guys throughout the series. aya_honda, I've been thinking about this, and spoiler[it actually is a good thing that Kureno stayed with Akito. Not for the benefit of him or Akito, but for another couple. Had it not been for the interaction of Kureno, this couple would not have been reunited.]
cerulean88

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:58 am Reply with quote
there's really no need for you people to welcome me back whenever i finally post Embarassed but it's not that i don't appreciate it, thank you for that, i feel so loved Anime catgrin but there's really no need Neutral i can only post once in awhile whenever i can find the time to drop by for a little while. I feel so bad everytime having to post just once and then disappearing for a whole month Sad feel like i've disappointed you people so much.

aya_honda wrote:
spoiler[…Kureno opened at that time Tohru's eyes and I think she saw even more the ugliness of the curse. It wasn't a funny curse at all and she knew at that time already that but in seeing that it hurt so many persons and affected even the lives of her dears ones (Uo- fell in love with Kureno) made her see perhaps the huge tragedy of what was going on.]

Tohru had certainly realised how sad and depressing the cursed zodiacs are and that’s exactly what drove her so hard to find for a way to cure it =)

fighterholic wrote:
BTW - Akito spoiler[is a slut as well as a bitch. Of course, what does that make Shigure?]
Shigure spoiler[is a player. He's slept with Akito, slept with Ren, was Mayuko's boyfriend for a while, got Rin to hit on him, and has terrorized Mitchan with avoiding the deadline for his stories] Laughing

Torhu_San wrote:
I bet that Kyo and Kureno would get along since they both suffered forms of isolation from the rest of the zodiac.

Maybe, but I don't think Kureno could ever understand what Kyo had to go through. I think what Kureno had to go through was ill timing, lack of knowledge, and youth.

Yes spoiler[Akito is a slut and a bitch ]at first but then I changed my mind about that. I shall not say more because I don’t wish to overlap what I’m going to say with future characters that are going to be introduced in this thread. Shigure is just Shigure, he’s just a total womanizer…=p

I too don’t think that Kyo and Kureno would get along well because like what you said fighterholic, they would never understand what the other has to go through. Not to mention they’re sort of like complete opposites. Kyo wanted to be released from the curse of the cat so badly but he has no experience or more like, he did not worry of the long-term consequences IF he did get released from the curse. Then as for Kureno, being the first to be set free is indeed painful and he ended up becoming an outsider and stranger to the family. He had nowhere else to go and with Akito crying and whining and begging him to stay, he complied. He’s too nice a guy and this certainly what got him in trouble in the first place. He sacrificed his own happiness to obey Akito's wishes by staying with her.

aya_honda wrote:
Another thing about Kureno.... spoiler[I think that only such a huge episode which occured between him and Akito made him go away. I think that] BIG SPOILER ahead spoiler[if he wasn't stabbed by Akito he wouldn't have left and though he would have had the consciousness that he has done something wrong, he wouldn't have done anything to prevent whatever might have happened between him and Akito. ] Do I make any sense? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

umm do you mean it's because spoiler[Akito stabbed him] that made him flee?
Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
fighterholic wrote:
spoiler[it actually is a good thing that Kureno stayed with Akito. Not for the benefit of him or Akito, but for another couple. Had it not been for the interaction of Kureno, this couple would not have been reunited.]

eh? eh? I have a feeling that i know who you're talking about but i can't seem to place it >.<
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Akito spoiler[stabbing Kureno would probably be what finally set him free from the Sohma house. He ended up in the hospital and then went somewhere else once he got out. If you notice he was needing a crutch to walk, this may be a permanent thing. Though when I saw the bird was dead, after Arisa found it, I thought Kureno had died for sure. A sort of connection there.]

cerulean88 wrote:
eh? eh? I have a feeling that i know who you're talking about but i can't seem to place it >.<

spoiler[One person's name begins with H and the other's begins with R.] Wink

It's not that we're trying to make you feel bad cerulean, it's just that we miss you so on account that when this thread was in the younger days, we saw you a lot more. But I know where you're coming from, with your studies and all. Make sure to keep up your studies, and just be you, because you know you have a place here.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I have this question about the manga that has nothing to do with our Kureno discussion...I hope its okay.

I recently reread all of the English volumes I have, 1-15, and I noticed something that I didn't realize before. spoiler[In the volume they briefly introduce Rin, they later have Akito and Shigure mention someone named Ren and how Akito hated her or something. Then the next volume they fully introduce Rin and have her as a main storyline, where they go into her past and how Akito hurt her for going out with Hatsuharu. ]

I never noticed this before because I was reading the volumes 4 months apart so for some reason I guess my brain just assumed spoiler[that Rin and Ren were the same person, because I didn't distinguish the difference between the spelling of their names at the time. Also the person that Akito hated, I thought if it was Rin it would make sense since she attacked her.]

Now, however, I realize this is a completely different person and I was wondering who it was? spoiler[I have a feeling that it is that woman who was calling for Kureno when Tohru went to the Sohma estate and snuck in for the first time (when Momiji helped her). He pushed her in the bushes and Tohru heard a voice and automatically thought Akito, but it wasn't because Kureno then said "I have to go or else Akito will get mad"]

Am I on the right track? Or completely off? Will this Ren person be introduced later? Should I not be spoiled for what will happen?

If it's too big of a spoiler, it's okay not to fully explain everything.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Rin is Isuzu, Hatusharu's love interest. Ren is Akito's mother, who has been fighting with Akito ever since she took over as head of the Sohma family. Another reason why Akito hates Ren is she's always trying to hit on the male Zodiac members (namely the Mabudachi Trio and Kureno), disagrees with how the way she treats them, and also slept with Shigure. I'm sure Ren is going to be a hot topic when Akito's turn comes around.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Thanks for the clarification! I realized they were two different people when I reread it, but I wasn't sure how or if they were related, and how Ren was a part of the main storyline....Embarassed

Thanks again!!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
Ah, Thanks for the clarification! I realized they were two different people when I reread it, but I wasn't sure how or if they were related, and how Ren was a part of the main storyline....Embarassed

Thanks again!!

Yeah, I was kind of confused about it too, but when you read into the later chapters you find out who's who for sure. The volume that really tells you is volume 17.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's certainly been quiet, and there were a lot of things that happened to me over this past week I feel, but I'm glad that I'm finally getting onto somewhat of a spring break now. It was fun talking about Kureno (we technically still have one more day), although with the later volumes not being released in the US we really can't get much discussions that really connect to the characters who make a difference later in the series.

Tonight's hint is going to be about a character who was more impacted than who made an impact on those throughout the series, but still a very loveable character.
Hint: spoiler[Yankees can even fall in love.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

Tonight's hint is going to be about a character who was more impacted than who made an impact on those throughout the series, but still a very loveable character.
Hint: spoiler[Yankees can even fall in love.]

spoiler[Uo-Chan!] Yay!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Yes, she's here, and I'm hoping we're going to get the same kind of discussions we got for spoiler[Hana-chan]. Which, now that I think about it, I didn't realize spoiler[I put Arisa right after Kureno, since they end up as a couple at the end of the series.] What a coincidence Shocked
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:57 am Reply with quote
What a nice coincidence! Wink Can't wait for the official post! Very Happy
cerulean88

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote
looking forward to it!! ^____^ i'll be able to stick around for a few days cause my Easter holiday just started =D wheee~ Anime exclamation
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Boy, what a long day today. I worked and then came home and almost fell asleep before making the official post tonight. And so:

Welcome to Uotani Arisa week! Uo-chan! The yankee who spoiler[makes it an obligation to protect and be one of the best friends that Tohru can have throughout the series, and she even found love at the end. I think for a time there may have been hints of a Arisa-Kyo pairing, but later circumstances renders this pairing impossible. Besides, Arisa found Kureno.]

Characters related to Uo-chan:
- Tohru
- Saki Hanajima (Hana-chan)
- Kyoko
- Kyo
- Yuki
- The Prince Yuki Fanclub
- Shigure
- Kureno
- Akito
- Other Zodiac members
- Arisa's Dad
- Other Yankees

I think my favorite part about Uochan might have been spoiler[her flashback from before she met Tohru, how she was walking the same path as Kyoko but didn't end up like Kyoko did. With that she went from nothing to actually being something, and maturing even more to the end to be a forgiving person also.]

Edit: Tagged

Last edited by fighterholic on Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ningensei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

Uo-chan! The yankee who spoiler[makes it an obligation to protect and be one of the best friends that Tohru can have throughout the series, and she even found love at the end. I think for a time there may have been hints of a Arisa-Kyo pairing, but later circumstances renders this pairing impossible. Besides, Arisa found Kureno.]

In the first few volumes, I also felt like there was a spoiler[Uo/Kyo pairing that was being kind of hinted at, with their "fiery" relationship. But it becomes pretty clear just as early on that Kyo has some sort of feelings for Tohru, even though he never admitted it to himself until much later. I never wanted Arisa and Kyo to get together, I kind of saw them as a Big sister picking on little brother relationship and liked that interaction. And I have been rooting for Kyo-Tohru since Volume 1...]

fighterholic wrote:
I think my favorite part about Uochan might have been spoiler[her flashback from before she met Tohru, how she was walking the same path as Kyoko but didn't end up like Kyoko did. With that she went from nothing to actually being something, and maturing even more to the end to be a forgiving person also.]

I really loved this part also, you get to see how someone like Arisa spoiler[becomes friends with Tohru, who seem like two completely different people. And it is also one of the first times you get to see a real flashback of Kyoko and who she was.]

One of my favorite parts is just around the flashback, I think the spoiler[girls had brought Yuki and Kyo swimsuit shopping for Tohru, when there were those young Yankee girls who wanted "revenge" or whatnot. I thought it was hilarious how they were so taken in by the "beautiful boys" and how Arisa just ignored them, but later set them straight. And then they proceeded to worship her as their leader and tried to change their ways (by dyeing their hair, etc.).]

Also seeing her interaction with spoiler[Kureno for the first time in the convenience store and then later for lunch was just too cute. It made me want to root for her so much and say Yankees can love too! ]Arisa seems like such as kindhearted and soft person on the inside, completely different than a Yankee stereotype.

Ok, well I think that's enough for now! I need to let you guys give your thoughts too! Embarassed
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I really liked spoiler[those girls who were going to try and fight Arisa, though their plan backfired on them due to a few things that were there. They were going to fight Arisa, defeat her so that they could make a name for themselves, pretty common in Japanese culture, as far as I know. I would have liked to see these girls come up more, but unfortunately after volume 6, they never came up again. Takaya made a note that she was disappointed she never could find the oppurtune moment to bring them back.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 61 of 170