• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2014's Initial D Car-Racing Anime Film Previewed in Pilot Video

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
Excellent. This is one of the films that I highly anticipate for 2014.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tratious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
I'm almost very sure you mean Liden Films "ライデンフィルム"
The translation from Japanese to English got messed up somewhere.
website
Liden Web
nechronius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:08 am Reply with quote
Interesting that they are revealing an Initial D movie without talking about a release date for the "Final Stage."

Following the link at the end of the video, it looks like there's going to be a blu ray box set sold in two parts with updated computer graphics for the cars. Those are due in Feb and Mar of 2014. Not sure exactly what will be contained in those two parts but still interesting.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
5th stage ends in the middle of a race series, and I was under the impression that Final Stage would conclude the race and end however the manga does. (I've not read any of it though.) So is the movie supposed to be a jumping off point for Shigeno to write a continuation manga called New Initial D? Is it actually going to adapt more of what he wrote? Or is it a non-canon send-off?

...Actually, I don't care what the answer is, I'll watch it regardless.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:13 am Reply with quote
I'm... not sure how I feel about this. It almost looks like cell animation, and that they've tried to make it look like the manga, but I hope the actual movie isn't this visually busy. A little too Jason Bourne. Someone buy them a steadycam!

FWIW, the "shin" in "shingekijouban" means it's a new movie version, not a movie for new Initial D. And considering that this battle is from First Stage, I assume it's some sort of remake.

By the way, the ending to the Initial D manga was total crap. Copout ending and zero closure whatsoever. But it was about time to end it.
Tr1ckR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:16 am Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
with updated computer graphics for the cars.

out of curiosity where is that written? i have a friend who would be interested in knowing.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
I'm... not sure how I feel about this. It almost looks like cell animation, and that they've tried to make it look like the manga, but I hope the actual movie isn't this visually busy. A little too Jason Bourne. Someone buy them a steadycam!

FWIW, the "shin" in "shingekijouban" means it's a new movie version, not a movie for new Initial D. And considering that this battle is from First Stage, I assume it's some sort of remake.

By the way, the ending to the Initial D manga was total crap. Copout ending and zero closure whatsoever. But it was about time to end it.

Wow, that's really depressing to hear the ending of the manga wasn't good. Initial D is one of my favorite franchises. I haven't watched Fifth stage yet and stopped at around Volume 32 or 33, so I'm looking forward to seeing more of the work and even if someone were to digitally release the manga again, I would pick that up.

Looking forward to seeing the new film. If it was a remake of the 1st/2nd stage, I think that would be awesome. It's been almost 20 years since 1st stage was released.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
Interesting that they are revealing an Initial D movie without talking about a release date for the "Final Stage."

Following the link at the end of the video, it looks like there's going to be a blu ray box set sold in two parts with updated computer graphics for the cars. Those are due in Feb and Mar of 2014. Not sure exactly what will be contained in those two parts but still interesting.

According to Amazon.co.jp, the first set will include First Stage and Second Stage, and the second one will include everything else, except for Fifth Stage.

It's a shame that they're still not releasing Fifth Stage on Blu-ray. When the first two episodes got that special airing on Animax, we could see they were animated in high definition, and yet Avex saw fit to give the show a DVD-only release in this day and age.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, it's like Tokyo Drift in crappy animation and with old worn-out cars!
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

9 million chapters and no closure? If I was a lifelong reader of this series I would have probably shot my manga volumes into the sun in rage.
Slayer151515

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watches 5th stage yet. I was originally waiting for the DVD release, however, I'm starting to think it won't be localized. I don't think stage 1-4 sold too well. I would hate to watch a fansub only to have them release it on DVD in the end. I'll probably wait a little longer to see if a DVD release is announced, and if not, then I'll just go ahead and watch it.
andyseed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:
Banken wrote:

9 million chapters and no closure? If I was a lifelong reader of this series I would have probably shot my manga volumes into the sun in rage.

The ending was okay , some people just expected more .
Truth is was hoping for more but still it was okay .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1