• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
spoiler[Akito] is most definetly a product of the genius of Takaya Natsuki. The character's personality, traits and conflicts, draw you to the character in such a way that you really feel an emotion towards the character, whether it be hatred or pitiness.

why hatred and pitiness? I like Akito Smile I really like read/watch about that kind of character rather than reading about next Mary Sue-ish character, or next sweets girls . But maybe i have specific taste.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:01 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Quote:
spoiler[Akito] is most definetly a product of the genius of Takaya Natsuki. The character's personality, traits and conflicts, draw you to the character in such a way that you really feel an emotion towards the character, whether it be hatred or pitiness.

why hatred and pitiness? I like Akito Smile I really like read/watch about that kind of character rather than reading about next Mary Sue-ish character, or next sweets girls . But maybe i have specific taste.

Well spoiler[Akito should be both hated and pitied] but we'll get into that after fighter makes the official announcement.

This will be a loooong section! Very Happy
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it seems that already there are the discussions about spoiler[Akito].... Fighter, come man, hurry and make the announcement! We are all expecting! Laughing

Aylin, I think that nobody says anything about the quality of such a character like spoiler[Akito] but damn, this is one mean, heartless cruel, selfish, egocentric, maniac, isterical character...... Shocked And I have more! Laughing
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
this is one mean, heartless cruel, selfish, egocentric, maniac, isterical character...... Shocked And I have more! Laughing

That's why I like her so much Cool
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Got so many things and potential for this week, and I have to go to an opera tonight for school work, that SUCKS!!

So I'll go ahead and give it a go. Welcome to Akito week! The god and leader of the Zodiac, as well as the head of the Sohma Clan. Boy have we discovered quite a bit about Akito during the series. Though quite later in the series, spoiler[it is revealed that though Akito was raised as a man, Akito is female. This explains why she hurt Hatori (directing the brunt of her anger at Kana), Kisa, and Rin. And on top of that, we learned that Shigure wanted her only to himself, to later discover that she had slept with Kureno, which made him sleep with Ren, Akito's mother, as a form of revenge.] What a way to get the series moving Rolling Eyes

Characters related to Akito:
- Shigure
- Ren
- Akira
- Tohru
- Yuki
- Kyo
- Kureno
- Hatori
- Ayame
- Kagura
- Kisa
- Hiro
- Hatsuharu
- Rin
- Momiji
- Ritsu
- Kazuma
- Hana-chan
- Uo-chan
- The Old Servant

Cheers everyone! This one's going to be big Very Happy

Edit: Tagged

Last edited by fighterholic on Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote
**deep breath**

Well, I guess I'll start this show on the road.

As of right now, I can't stand Akito. Plain and simple. BUT, with this last volume and some of the spoilers that I've read previously, I think that I'm going to start to feel sorry for Akito. I don't want to but in the end, I may not have a choice.

I've come to this conclusion due to Akito's reaction when spoiler[she looked in Yuki's eyes at the New Year's celebration in Vol. 16 when he apoligized to her about blaming her. While I'm not sure just yet as to why Akito is so lonely, I'm also beginning to think that she is the most pathetic member of the Zodiac.]

Now, I also get the feeling that Akito's attitude was spoiler[pushed/forced/brainwashed onto her due to the words of a character that I haven't met yet.] We'll see.

Yes, Akito has to share some of the blame, spoiler[she didn't HAVE to have the attitude she does but, if it was done to her at an early age, how can a person really fight that.]

But, I still don't like Akito's treatment of the Zodiac. It has been very cruel, vicious and unnecessary.

That's all that I can think of for right now. I'm sure I'll come up with more as the rest of you start posting.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Akito, dear Akito. Certainly a character who spoiler[earns her place as notorious in the FB world. As a woman, she definetly doesn't like any women trying to take the hearts of her "men" because then to her she would lose them, and they would go away. So in order to make sure that these women never go near her men, she damages them so badly that they won't ever want to go near them. Victims of her rage: Kana, Kisa, and Rin.]
And then spoiler[there's her men. She seems to concentrate mostly on Yuki, Kureno, Hatsuharu, Hatori, and then Shigure. She and Shigure have one of the most complex stories in FB. They want to love each other and then hate each othr at the same time. This is in part due to Akito sleeping with Kureno, which when Shigure found out, slept with Ren, Akito's mother. This got Shigure kicked out of the Sohma household and in the house he is in right now. Yet he's allowed to go back to Akito, like all the times we saw him visiting her in the earlier volumes. Then in volume 17, when we discover Akito is a girl, Shigure was in Akito's room one night and they got a little too close for comfort.]
spoiler[Her life has been one that I feel has been manipulated, and most definetly cursed. Her mother has hated her from the beginning because Akito was granted with the power of controlling the Zodiac. On top of that she was raised as a male (on word from her mother), and then there's been the old woman who was lying to Akito all her life about the box that supposedly contained Akira's (her father) soul. And what's even worse was one of her own Zodiac members was playing on the same line as her and her mother.]

I'll have to stop here or else I'm going to be going all night Laughing
Ningensei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I think my feelings are along the same line as LydiaDianne. Maybe it is because we are reading the English volumes but I find my feelings towards spoiler[Akito are more of hatred than pity, although I am sure that will change also. There really hasn't been anything in the story so far that I have read that has made be feel sorry for her, except for the fact that she is a truly pathetic character at this point, turning all her innner turmoil and rage towards others who do not deserve it.]

I have been reading some of the spoilers as well so I know that there is a lot we are missing, and it seems that spoiler[Akito truly has had the raw end of things as well, but I am not sure if I can forgive her yet (unlike Yuki!).]

And as for the whole spoiler[Shigure/Akito/Kureno thing....there has been something that has been bugging me since the Kureno week and maybe even before, which you reminded me of in your post fighterholic. Exactly how old is Akito? Kureno is in his mid 20's Shigure in his late twenties and its seems they have both slept with Akito at some point in the past. Is it stated how old she was when this first happened? Because in the flashbacks I have seen so far, when they showed Yuki and Akito together they seemed to be close in age although Akito a little oldr perhaps. With Kureno and Shigure being so much older, I find it rather disturbing if she was young....]Please prove me wrong someone!!

Ok, that's enough for now!!
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:

And as for the whole spoiler[Shigure/Akito/Kureno thing....there has been something that has been bugging me since the Kureno week and maybe even before, which you reminded me of in your post fighterholic. Exactly how old is Akito? Kureno is in his mid 20's Shigure in his late twenties and its seems they have both slept with Akito at some point in the past. Is it stated how old she was when this first happened? Because in the flashbacks I have seen so far, when they showed Yuki and Akito together they seemed to be close in age although Akito a little oldr perhaps. With Kureno and Shigure being so much older, I find it rather disturbing if she was young....]Please prove me wrong someone!!

Ok, that's enough for now!!

Oh, good question! Akito's age has not been mentioned. But, if Akito spoiler[is much younger than Shigure, it certainly fits with the age range amongst the various couples that pair up during the course of this story and before the story started. I.E. Tohru's parents, Hana-chan and Kyo's master (forgot name right now), Uo-chan and Kureno. In a way, Akito's age is a **shrug** but still interesting to know.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I know that it fits with the spoiler[age gap between the couples so far, but I guess my thing is when it happened for them the girls were at least in thier late teens. It seems that the events between Akito/Shigure/Kureno happened in the past, so if let say for example she was 12 and Shigure was 20, then that's a little creepy, instead of a girl who is 17 perhaps going on 18 (Uo-chan). It would almost seem like Akito would have been taken advantage of, I don't know, since I haven't seen that part of the manga ]yet maybe I am taking this the wrong way! Forgive me!
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
I know that it fits with the spoiler[age gap between the couples so far, but I guess my thing is when it happened for them the girls were at least in thier late teens. It seems that the events between Akito/Shigure/Kureno happened in the past, so if let say for example she was 12 and Shigure was 20, then that's a little creepy, instead of a girl who is 17 perhaps going on 18 (Uo-chan). It would almost seem like Akito would have been taken advantage of, I don't know, since I haven't seen that part of the manga ]yet maybe I am taking this the wrong way! Forgive me!

I see where you are coming from. It would be a bit spoiler[creepy and disgusting if Akito was in her very early teens. But, the main group of Kyo, Yuki and Tohru are 17 (?) Shigure is 27. If Akito is 20...well, 13 is young if Akito's and Shugre's physical relationship started then... Embarassed Anime hyper ]

I think that we are going to have to wait and see if fighter or Aya Honda are able to tell us Akito's age.

Our FB sempai just aren't answering our questions quick enough! Wink
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:58 am Reply with quote
Akito is 20 It was said in volume 17

I have never had problem with Akito. She looks interesting for me from the beginning (That kind of character is rather rare That’s why she is more interesting for me than for example Yuki that looked like next emo boy, or Kyo, I am fed up with rebellious character after reading Romantic literature) and well the only character that she mistreat and I like, is Hatori.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:28 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Our FB sempai just aren't answering our questions quick enough! Wink

Laughing I love it! FB sempai is perfect way to describe fighterholic and aya honda and I think we should start using more often now! Wink

aylinn wrote:
Akito is 20 It was said in volume 17

I have never had problem with Akito. She looks interesting for me from the beginning (That kind of character is rather rare That’s why she is more interesting for me than for example Yuki that looked like next emo boy, or Kyo, I am fed up with rebellious character after reading Romantic literature) and well the only character that she mistreat and I like, is Hatori.

Hmm...thanks for the clarification about Akito's age, I guess there was no way for us English version readers to know until August!

I can't really agree with your characterizations of Yuki and Kyo, I think that they are much deeper and complex characters than just an "emo boy" and a "rebel." But that's just me.

The only problem I have with Akito spoiler[is how she treats other people. Whether I like them as characters or not, which most of them I do, maybe it is just because of my own personality. I really dislike those who cause pain to others just for the sake of it or for their own selfish reasons. I know Akito has problems but it is no excuse to take it out on other people!! Maybe I'll come to love her]....but that's a long shot Confused Maybe just lessen the hate Evil or Very Mad
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Ok, God, no, not FB sempai! I'm rather a very obsessed person! Embarassed Laughing

Ok, now I think that some things must be clarified here since volume 17 hasn't reached you yet and therefore if you want to read big spoilers concerning that chapter then read the following spoilers: Wink spoiler[I think that by far the relationship that exists between Akito, Kureno and Shigure shouldn't be judged very easily. As it has been stated once too often Kureno has been released from an early age, he was practically more or less Tohru's age and therefore Akito was devasted at the fact that finally it was proven that the bound between god and the other jyuunishi can be broken. It wasn't just his fat but also another, more simple one: when Akito was born the only persons who knew that she would be a girl were Shigure, Kureno, Ritsu, Hatori and Ayame because they could already feel the connection, even as she was unborn. They felt the spirit of this God and they understood that it couldn't never be broken. Thus the greater the shock when they discovered that actually the curse can be lifted and that connection can easily disappear like in Kureno's case, a thing of which Shigure was aware.]

Now as for the other thing, that of the fact that spoiler[ Kureno and Shigure slept with Akito that is another matter and it should be said here that this occured after she became much more mature. When Kureno remembers that he has slept with her, he remembers a more mature girl and I think that this is what happens. Nonetheless I have always had the impression that it was Kureno who suffered the most in this menage a trois for the simple fact that he actually thought he was doing something good. Unfortunately, it wasn't like that. He attracted Shigure everlasting hate and Akito stabbed him almost to death. ]

Akito is a very frail person (to say the least) : selfish, magalomaniac, concetied, hateful and always caring about nothing else but herslef. At the same time a person who has suffered a lot, who didn't have the proper education, hated by spoiler[her own mother] and abandoned by spoiler[her father at an early age - since he dies at a very early age)] - I can understand why she has become what she is now.

That's why, Aylinn, I think that you can't judge these characters so easily and they can't be put within a fixed frame like you did with Yuki and Kyo. I don't like Yuki very much, that much is true, but on the other hand I completly avoid to put him within a fixed frame for the simple fact that so many things go along through his evolution that I would say that he is one of the characters who evolve the most. And Kyo is by far not just a simple rebellious character. You have confused sufference and rejection with rebellious attitude. He isn't rebel: by far, he is one of the characters that suffers the most in the manga and let's just say that Akito is no stranger to it. I can still remember that spoiler[ she reminds him of what's going to happen to him and that he is ultimately a monster and that he should leave Tohru alone, and all that on the beach house where he was feeling so great along with others. It wasn't the fact that Akito always reminded him that he was the most despicable jyuunishi but that he doesn't deserve to live. And after seeing why the cat has been cursed - I think you have read the final chapters - makes me want to slap Akito over and over again.]The injustice of many acts to which Kyo was exposed make him not just one of the most admirable characters in the manga (for trying to fight for the right to live) but also one of the most complex. Therefore to say about these two guys that this is all about them is a great injustice. And what about Rin? Doesn't she count? And Momiji? and many others? You dismiss so many complex characters.... Sad

Oh, my God, I caught fire! Terribly sorry! Embarassed Embarassed
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I know they have tragic past, and other things I just wanted to say why I didn't like Yuki and Kyo at the beginning, and why they didn't make a good impression on me. Actually it doesn't change later. They had tragic past and were supposed to have tragic future, haven't helped in my case. I agree Kyo has sufferance and rejection but many, if not all rebellious characters have suffered in Romantic literature. Some were rejected and Kyo, for me was just next typical rebellious character with tragic past, etc. Like I said I am bored by that kind of character.

sorry so short i will write more when I will have time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 66 of 170