• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon: Data Squad DVDs Listed by U.S. Retailers

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
People tend to hate this show quite a fair bit, but I really don't understand it. Sure, it isn't as adventurous as the original and isn't as deep or philosophical as Tamers, but it was still a strong show with interesting characters and some majorly awesome fight sequences. Plus, spoiler[Kurata was a great villain.] I enjoyed the more shonen-battle bend it took, as I think it helped it stand out a bit more against the other seasons.

Besides, at least it was better that Adventure 02 and Frontier.
Kelsyjones

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:16 am Reply with quote
I would very much like a subtitled release of this season in the future, but I'm happy that even the dub is being released in its entirety.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:19 am Reply with quote
My favorite part was when Masaru punched em in the face Laughing
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
Data Squad was pretty awesome. I loved how it mixed old Digimon tropes with new stuff. Having old hero digimon show up as antagonists was a nice touch. I'm glad it's getting a full release.

Also, greatest digivolution theme ever!
Crystal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:17 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing it's dub-only, which is a little weird since this show DID get a DVD release in the past, although I don't think it was all 40-something episodes.

Savers was definitely not my favorite Digimon season, but if they released a version that included (at least) the uncut sub, I'd still buy it to encourage more releases.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:32 am Reply with quote
Yes!! I bought the part 1 DVD VIZ released ages ago and was going to wait for the rest of the series came out before getting part 2... and then they never released it. Sad

I loved (what I saw of) Data Squad. I think the fact that there were adult and older teen characters was appealing, since most of the other seasons had the rule that only children could have Digimon partners. Hey, I'm an adult and I want a Digimon partner! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryasha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:39 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
I'm guessing it's dub-only, which is a little weird since this show DID get a DVD release in the past, although I don't think it was all 40-something episodes.

Savers was definitely not my favorite Digimon season, but if they released a version that included (at least) the uncut sub, I'd still buy it to encourage more releases.

The previous release was dub only as well and only just over half (26 out of 48) episodes were released. At least in North America. I think Australia got the whole thing.

rizuchan wrote:
Yes!! I bought the part 1 DVD VIZ released ages ago and was going to wait for the rest of the series came out before getting part 2... and then they never released it. Sad

I was going to do the same thing. I was going to buy part 2 when they gave a word of at least 3 coming out but they never did. Instead they decided to release the dvds that were already part of part 2 as standalone singles, which they didn't do for part 1, and the didn't even release the last single from that set. So, naturally, I never bought anymore.

Also, it wasn't VIZ. It was Well Go Usa.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Not my favorite season of Digimon by any means, but I'm still looking forward to being able to pick this up. Especially since that means I can toss the Well Go set (only ever got the first one, by the time I had cash for the second it was clear they weren't putting out the rest so I never bothered) so that it won't darken my shelf anymore.

Now all we have left to hope for is a boxset of the films hopefully, and then maybe (just maybe) sub re-releases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
YES, this is the only Digimon season I haven't watched yet!

I was worried this wouldn't get released, so this is awesome!

And like Gyt Kaliba said, the films would be nice too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1