• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams First Attack on Titan Dub Clip

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Sigh...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Saw the clip, and it sounds great! I haven't been riding the hype train like a lot of people but I will be looking forward to seeing everyone else's voices.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow... totally screwed up Levi's personality.

Edit for second viewing: Wow, screw it up BADLY. They got absolutely NOTHING right for Levi's personality. Levi does not raise his voice, speaks mostly in monotone, and does NOT make dumb jokes. Hange's pretty bad as well. Her dialogue was OK, but the tone of voice was completely wrong. Hange thinks of titans as children, so she speaks in a disturbing motherly tone. This dub gave her a mocking tone, when she would NEVER mock a titan. Pathetic, Funi....

Last edited by DmonHiro on Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
so would the guy who is about to slash the titan be Moses?
Altacia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:

Sigh...

Not sure what country you're in or even if it will work, but the Hola! add on for Chrome may let you get around that...
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Sigh...

Ditto...
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Edit for second viewing: Wow, screw it up BADLY. They got absolutely NOTHING right for Levi's personality. Levi does not raise his voice, speaks mostly in monotone, and does NOT make dumb jokes. Hange's pretty bad as well. Her dialogue was OK, but the tone of voice was completely wrong. Hange thinks of titans as children, so she speaks in a disturbing motherly tone. This dub gave her a mocking tone, when she would NEVER mock a titan. Pathetic, Funi....

Uh, which video did you watch? Levi and Hange aren't even in this clip.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Suena

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm giving the dub and everything about it a complete miss. I like this series enough that I don't want to cringe over a weird casting choice or off-key performance.

(To be clear, I have nothing against dubs in general)

And BTW, to people who can't watch the videos and haven't gotten the memo yet: Funimation only services North America. So don't be confused - unless you're in Canada. (Then you can rage all you want.)
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Uh, which video did you watch? Levi isn't even in this clip.

I think he's talking about the third clip
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Nemui_Nezumi wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Uh, which video did you watch? Levi isn't even in this clip.

I think he's talking about the third clip

Oh, for subscribers. I haven't seen that one yet.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

Oh, sorry. I couldn't watch this clip, cause I'm not in the US, so I watched an older Funimation clip posted on Youtube.
Sarukah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
octopodpie wrote:

Oh, sorry. I couldn't watch this clip, cause I'm not in the US, so I watched an older Funimation clip posted on Youtube.

Isnt this the first clip ever posted? If there was an "older" one, wouldnt it not even be from the official funimation dub? Post a link of the one you're talking about.
EDIT: Okay, nevermind my post. Didn't realize that there are indeed other official clips out there.

Last edited by Sarukah on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't think we're allowed to post youtube links on the forums. Send me a PM, and I'll link you to the clip. It has Funi's logo, and the actors are Hanji - Jessica Calvello. Levi - Mathew Mercer, Petra - Caitlin Glass
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Wow, screw it up BADLY. They got absolutely NOTHING right for Levi's personality. Levi does not raise his voice, speaks mostly in monotone, and does NOT make dumb jokes. Hange's pretty bad as well. Her dialogue was OK, but the tone of voice was completely wrong. Hange thinks of titans as children, so she speaks in a disturbing motherly tone. This dub gave her a mocking tone, when she would NEVER mock a titan. Pathetic, Funi....

Yeah, because dubs are complete imitations of the original. Way to be pathetic, Funi Rolling Eyes Whatcha think about this clip?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Whatcha think about this clip?

Nothing, I can't watch it. And while the voices don't need to sound the same in a dub, they DO have to keep to the original character, not make up a new personality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5