• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Licenses Chibi Vampire, D.N. Angel on Kindle

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chii85

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Okay so why digital only? Are they going to eventually rerelease the series imprint?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I can understand Chibi Vampire/Karin, if only because TP did release it and the side story volume in print already.

But D.N. Angel was never completed. Maybe they are just trying to gauge the market or, for some reason or another, were not able to secure print rights?
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I hope that Viz will also pick up the light novels. Tokyopop published all but the last one, leaving the story on a cliffhanger.
machetecat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
The DNAngel one pisses me off.

I've had the series in my bookcase for years, hoping that it would get relicensed again. The fact that the story will only be continued in English through digital only is going to be a massive irritation for my collector's side.

Also seconding on that last Karin light novel. The cliffhanger is why I never got the last one Tokyopop released.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
It's good to see them officially available again. But I have no interest in digital copies.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Add me to the disappointed list. I'll only buy them if they're physical.
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm just disappointed that ANN decided to list it as "on Kindle," when really it's on quite a few platforms. You got me worried that Viz was going exclusively with Amazon.

Amazon is dangerously close to monopolizing digital publishing, and that's something we should all be afraid of. It would be nice if ANN and other relevant news sources wound mind their terminology so it doesn't look like one store has an exclusive.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Did VIZ not realize that most of us like physical version of manga?
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Digital only? *weep* I would just as soon have not learned DNAngel managed to get a new pair of volumes since barely squeaking 13 out the door. On the other hand, depending on how well they do Viz may just drop them before getting anywhere near that deep in the series and it will revert back to being another unlicensed crater.

Would be nice if they at least published Karin's final volume. I'd rather have misMATCHING spines than misSING ones.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Did the Karin LNs differ story-wise from the manga, or do they just tell a side story?

I'm excited that Viz is doing some license rescues, but I'm also sad that they're digital only. I can barely read their Shonen Jump and I have a subscription! Not to mention that a lack of physical copies means that libraries can't easily aquire the books.
Collectonian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw they did a license rescue of D.N.Angel I was excited! Then, saw the "digital only". A little less excited, but at least I can read the rest of the story somehow.

Except - according to Viz's responses on their Facebook page, they are ONLY doing digital editions of TP's original print releases of both series with the VIZ Select label slapped on them. So they will not doing volumes 14, 15, or the presumed to come 16 of D.N.Angel. Anime cry

And no, they have no intention of considering print options either Sad

Agent355 wrote:
Did the Karin LNs differ story-wise from the manga, or do they just tell a side story?

They tell side-stories that mesh quite well with the manga (the notes in each usually tell you where it falls in with the manga). They are a nice supplement to the manga for a fuller story, though the manga stands alone pretty well.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:04 am Reply with quote
Apparently they don't expect to sell much of the print editions what with most people who'd buy 'em likely already bought the previous prints, so it might not be worth the print license fee.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote
I can understand digital only instead of reprints, but why not print the unreleased voumes of DNAngel? As I recall, it always showed in the top 10 manga releases each time volumes were released. I will take the continuation any way I can, but would definitely prefer a complete phyical set as I have all Volumes Tokyopop released.
katscradle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
LavenderMintRose wrote:
I'm just disappointed that ANN decided to list it as "on Kindle," when really it's on quite a few platforms. You got me worried that Viz was going exclusively with Amazon.

Amazon is dangerously close to monopolizing digital publishing, and that's something we should all be afraid of. It would be nice if ANN and other relevant news sources wound mind their terminology so it doesn't look like one store has an exclusive.

My feelings are the same. There is no reason from the press release to single out one platform for the headline. Kindle exclusive is a BIG deal. The way ANN presents this story is giving a false impression and I truly think it should be revised.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Chii85 wrote:
Okay so why digital only? Are they going to eventually rerelease the series imprint?

IIRC Viz has announced a number of recent licenses as digital-only (Nisekoi comes to mind), then added a physical release when digital sales came through. I'm guessing that's a way to avoid betting too much on a title. Alternately, it could be that Tokyopop still has a license to these titles and the license just doesn't cover digital (that might explain why Viz won't be going past TP's released volumes of D.N. Angel) - in that case digital rights might be all they can get.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2