• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Say, 'I Love You.' Film's Trailer With One Direction's Song Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veniamin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:01 am Reply with quote
Inb4 shitstorm.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:34 am Reply with quote
The song works, as admittedly rather odd it is, because both the song and plot ultimately come down to a boy wanting love from a girl that won't, or can't, give it to him.
wohdin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am Reply with quote
No.

No.
wohdin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:05 am Reply with quote
Although yes to Souta Fukushi. He is awesome.
cloudthe23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
and so the invasion has begun, now lest wait for Justin Bieber to sing the next Naruto Shippuden opening and for Miley Cyrus to sing One Piece opening.
CTOONfan1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
cloudthe23 wrote:
and so the invasion has begun, now lest wait for Justin Bieber to sing the next Naruto Shippuden opening and for Miley Cyrus to sing One Piece opening.

Avril Lavigne beat Miley to some songs in One Piece a while ago, although it was for a movie not an opening. Much like in this instance!
Kutsu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
cloudthe23 wrote:

Not going to happen. They would quickly run out of artists to chose from. Very few western artists are successful in Japan as of 2014 : One Direction, Avril Lavigne, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift and Bruno Mars, and that's basically it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
cloudthe23 wrote:

Justin Bieber hasn't really taken off in Japan. Here's an interesting read about the Japanese music market:

"One Direction takes the J-pop path to success"
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2013/11/05/music/one-direction-takes-the-j-pop-path-to-success/

• Given that the British-Irish quintet is already playing arenas from Melbourne to Mexico City, the fact that One Direction has conquered Japan might not seem all that surprising. Yet the music market here is a prickly beast, one whose belly needs to be tickled in a certain way if you want to get results. For every Backstreet Boys or Lady Gaga, there’s a clutch of acts whose international success has been met with widespread indifference here: just ask Adele, Beyoncé, Kanye West or even Justin Bieber.

If you want to pinpoint the moment at which One Direction went from being just another Western pop import, it was their trip here last January. Arriving for a three-day blitz of fan events and media appearances, the group touched down at Narita Airport wearing red happi coats, consciously aping the outfits sported by The Beatles in 1966. By the time they left, TV shows and magazines nationwide were chattering excitedly about these dishy youngsters, and their just-announced Japan tour.

Local label Sony Music Japan was by now better positioned to help the group penetrate impressionable young hearts. Official Japanese Facebook and Twitter accounts were set up in May last year, translating the members’ social media outpourings for the benefit of local fans (the @1D_OfficialJP account recently surpassed 300,000 followers). When sophomore album “Take Me Home” came out last November, the Japanese edition was released simultaneously, and the record has since shifted 450,000 copies. But perhaps the biggest innovation was to give One Direction something that’s standard issue for J-pop acts: a fan club.

Established in January, One Direction Club Japan is the group’s only official fan club — anywhere. Members pay just under ¥5,000 to sign up for a year’s enrollment, which includes first dibs on concert tickets, the opportunity to buy fan-only merchandise, and access to a website featuring messages from the group.

For all the advances in social media, clubs like this are still an integral part of J-pop fandom. “It makes a lot of sense for international artists,” Ozawa says. “International artists are only in the market a couple of days out of the year — if that — so it’s difficult (for fans) to have a connection. If you have a Japanese-style fan club that’s official, that’s directly connected to the artists, and it’s paid, and it’s exclusive … Japanese fans are familiar with that model from domestic artists, and it gives them a special connection.”

Incidentally, One Direction song "Story of My Life" has been on the Top 20 of Japan Billboard Hot 100 the last few weeks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb3jysQBaQo

BTW, 3 of this latest Japan Top 20 are Frozen's "Let it Go" - #4 (Idina Menzel), #5 (Takako Matsu), #16 (May J).
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Awh, it sounds so cute! I like 1D, so I am more than happy with their stuff being featured for this film.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The 1th volume came with an original anime DVD.

Is that meant to be "1st", "11th" or something else?
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I swear Asian dramas have some of the most chaste kissing scenes. It doesn't matter how much chemistry the lead couple have, you always end up with a kiss scene that's "whomp, whomp."

As much as I didn't like the anime Say I Love You, the movie actually looks pretty good. I wouldn't mind seeing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1