• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Little Monster GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
It's not a big deal for me, but I think that changing Haru's threat somewhat diminishes his initial awkwardness. Both ways make him sound violent, but everyone already knows that he's violent. But whatever... I may be mostly reading this for Natsume (like the show)... lol

Quote:
although there is one speech bubble that appears to be missing a word

I think there were two of those. Or maybe one had one too many words, as if it was written one way, and then changed before publishing.

Also, why must most publishers continue to force us to spread the books as wide as we can just to read what's nearly hidden in the binding...

Last edited by Asrialys on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Also, why must most publishers continue to force us to spread the books as wide as we can just to read what's nearly hidden in the binding...

If you ever compare a Japanese and English edition of the same manga, you'll find that the Japanese pages are relatively wider. For some reason most publishers prefer to crop the sides of images rather than having more white space at the top and bottom.
Mai5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I had always thought that the translation of the anime had overdone what Haru said in that scene, but then I read the Japanese version of the manga.

He did say it. Shocked
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm still on the fence about buying this series. There's so many things I love about it, but Haru as an actual love interest is just really off putting.
Mai5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
I'm still on the fence about buying this series. There's so many things I love about it, but Haru as an actual love interest is just really off putting.

I agree. Laughing
I bought the series as a comedy and I don't really think about the romance aspect of it as much, but of course things change later in the series.
Half Life

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Great series -- first manga I have actually purchased in a while.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:

Yeah I was surprised when this wasn't brought up in the review, the book has no margin/bleed in it at all and there are so many word bubbles you can barely read. Heck, I thought that maybe this was printed a bit smaller than usual but I compared it to some other manga I had lying around (some old CMX stuff) and they're the same size if not a teeny bit taller, I wonder if the Japanese volumes had the same problems with the bleed then.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Love this manga series. One of the most intellectual in regards to character analysis and witty dialog interactions.. Heavy on dialog may I add.

If you can get pass Haru's possessive, at times violent impulsive actions then its a treat!

Oh and yeah I love the randomness that is Nagoya!! Haha.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gilg4mesh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote
I read volume 1 twice and never wanna continue to vol. 2... For me the pace is too similar with the majority of shoujo manga, and I didn't feel the main charas are interesting, like,
Quote:
Plenty of shoujo manga, either romances or comedies, have quirky characters. They might eat a lot, or look terrifying but really just be the sweetest so-and-so around...

and the romance, comedy, friendship, none of them in this manga touched me... FOR ME, okay, FOR ME, since I kinda understand why many people like this tho.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:34 am Reply with quote
I've read a ton of shojo manga, especially the majority of the rom-com English release series and I found My Little Monster to be refreshing.

Haru aside, Shizuku's personality is what I find the most unique. She's not the stereotypical shojo heroine. She isn't the perky, naive, falls for love easily and what not. The last series I remember with a similar personality for a heroine is Kiri of Beauty Pop. I've always like characters that has monotonic, robotic, mundane personality and with a smarty know it all attitude.

I've read passed volume 1 though, think I was at the 5th installment when I stopped reading because of the Kodansha license news.. So I've come to appreciate most of its cast. The majority of them has their own story no one seemed like a filler. When I first read the series I wasn't expecting anything but then the stair scene Shizuku & Haru had by the end of the first chapter was one of the most heartfelt. The circumstance that lead to that stair moment in which Shizuku defended Haru felt genuine.

The inner thoughts/dilemma of Shizuku and some of the characters is one of the main reason why I like this series. The way the author delves into the characters inner conscious thoughts in contrast to their subconscious actions is engaging. I especially like Shizuku's inner self plights analysis in regards to her involvement with Haru. It's quite amusing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Half Life

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:18 am Reply with quote
I actually found Haru to be fairly relate-able -- probably because as a young person I was quite a bit like him (though less extreme).

It is often the case that highly intellectually gifted people have some problems with normal social interaction. Combine that with his family dynamic, and you have a recipe for a guy who can overreact easily. And thanks to the fact that he is also physically gifted, he is very imposing -- had he been a weakling nobody would be afraid of him. He has a strong sense of justice, and wants to be a good person, but lacks the perspective on social norms to fit in properly.

I don't actually find that a problem -- I've come to the POV over a long time that "fitting in" is overrated.

Shizuku on the other hand is a an enigma to me -- I don't "get" anything about her... and that makes her highly intriguing as a love interest.

However the character I always want to root for is Ōshima.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:11 am Reply with quote
I love this series - I only had the last volume to finish before it was licensed so thought I would start again and hold off on the ending. The story is constantly improving as the series progresses and the side characters become just as important as Haru and Shizuku; I love the dinamics that build between the others. I am very excited to not only reread the series but also I own it!
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:34 am Reply with quote
ChichiriNoDa,
You've perfectly summed up everything I love about the series.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
Hey on a serious note to those who've read passed volume 1, did you guys ever thought that Haru has some form of spoiler[ADHD]? Like for real he's so eccentric and erratic. Sometimes he's hilarious however there are instances that he can be quite repulsive..

Not all bad about him though, I definitely like Haru more when he introduced his pet chicken. Like who the hell brings chicken in school. He reminded me of Noe from the anime True Tears..

Can't wait to read about Yamaken, he added much more charm in the series. That's to be discuss for the future volumes though.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa wrote:
Hey on a serious note to those who've read passed volume 1, did you guys ever thought that Haru has some form of spoiler[ADHD]? Like for real he's so eccentric and erratic. Sometimes he's hilarious however there are instances that he can be quite repulsive..

I just figured he was extremely socially inept.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2