• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
La Corda d'Oro Blue Sky (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volibear

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote

La Corda d'Oro Blue Sky (TV)

Genres: comedy, drama, romance
Themes: male harem, music, school

Plot Summary: While being called a "genius violinist," high school sophomore Kanade Kohinata feels herself entering a plateau period and difficult to improve her musical achievements. She reunited with his childhood friend Ritsu Kisaragi at his concert and met his younger brother Kyōya. Ritsu, in a forceful manner, asked both Kanade and Kyōya to transfer to his school, Seiso Academy, to prepare for the upcoming national musical competition. Kanade's relationships with Kisaragi brothers and other handsome young men shall create more than just a few ripples in her heart.
----------------------------------

Ep. 1
May not be an actual R-H show (yet?) but it's the best attempt at it in the last year, at least for me anyway. Mostly because it doesn't primarily focus on some pathetic attempt at romance like others. Also, music makes for a good story in my books, it's what drew me to the original series previously.

Asides from that, mostly just a set-up episode, the set-up being spoiler[ 2 childhood friends go to music competition to see 3rd CHF compete (they all play violin). Big competition gets announced there, cast is introduced afterwards, big shocker announced at end]. Kinda by-the-books, but it wasn't mind numbingly dumb or cringey. Overall seems like it'll be a kinda chill series, at least for me anyway.

(Though about putting this is some old La Corda thread, but it's a whole new cast and story so I just made a new one for it.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
An anime with classical music as the theme? Just my forte!
This is one of the things i love most about Japanese music. Most American scores have been nothing but uninnovative drivel with a needlessly loud orchestra and crappy electronica. While there are certainly Japanese composers that follow that road in a way like Hiroyuki Sawano they still have more of a unique and original presence most of the time. It's always nice to see classical scores brought back every now and then even if it is a dying breed from the golden age of music. It's shame that people just aren't into it as much anymore.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I liked the first episode. I'll watch more.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
The violin play is alright I guess but I'm not into any of the characters yet until they show their true colors. But then again, it's the first episode so I'll wait for more to see how it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I was hesitant at the beginning, but there was not really that much wrong, and maybe the heroin will be a major player in the music/plot rather than an aide. Music was nice, I probably could use some classical in my life.
Tyna

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I liked everything except the main female character. spoiler[ I didn't like the fact that it showed us she had a magical violin ever since she was young, basically she never bothered picking up a normal violin and learning how to play it, taking the easy way out and being praised while at it. Also the episode ends with her getting picked over others to participate in the future competition, while there are people in that room who practiced playing their instrument until their fingers bled. At least in the other show, the main character was already in high school when she got her magical violin so the lie doesn't seem as big ] So yea, at the moment not finding the main character very likable, hopefully I am wrong and things are not how I think they are.
Other than that am excited for the classical music aspect of the show and the good looking guys hehe.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:39 am Reply with quote
Tyna wrote:
Episode 1

I liked everything except the main female character. spoiler[ I didn't like the fact that it showed us she had a magical violin ever since she was young, basically she never bothered picking up a normal violin and learning how to play it, taking the easy way out and being praised while at it. Also the episode ends with her getting picked over others to participate in the future competition, while there are people in that room who practiced playing their instrument until their fingers bled. At least in the other show, the main character was already in high school when she got her magical violin so the lie doesn't seem as big ] So yea, at the moment not finding the main character very likable, hopefully I am wrong and things are not how I think they are.
Other than that am excited for the classical music aspect of the show and the good looking guys hehe.

She had spoiler[a magical violin]?
I thought that it was all just showing that she is naturally gifted at it, but for whatever reasons she has not aimed to go higher.
Tyna

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:28 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 1
I thought that it was all just showing that she is naturally gifted at it, but for whatever reasons she has not aimed to go higher.

Well I really hope you are right, .spoiler[ It just shows at the begining of the episode she's playing a violin with a golden string, which makes me think it's the same type of violin like in the first two animes, which was a special one that could make anyone play as long as they know the tune and put feeling into it]
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:32 am Reply with quote
It was an interesting 1st episode. I hope the heroine becomes more useful. It's certainly got more plot than most recent reverse harem/otome game anime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:40 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
It's certainly got more plot than most recent reverse harem/otome game anime.

But no exploding pants (yet).
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty excited when they announced a new La Corda d'Oro anime and the first episode didn't disappoint.

DuskyPredator wrote:

I didn't get that impression either. Just that she was stuck in a rut for some reason or another which will probably turn out to be related to Ritsu.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 2

The melodrama was too much. I'm not sure if I'll stick with this.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else find the OP really jarring with them playing classical instruments with an obviously pop song over the top?

The flashback to Kanade and Ritsu's childhood was cute. Hopefully we'll find out spoiler[what made him into a jerk] later. Cello kid was a bit too angsty though. I get being passionate about something, but there's sometimes a fine line between passion and angst. And wow lazy animation of Kanade playing the violin (they didn't bother to animate her fingers moving). I get the feeling they have a smaller animation budget than the first series.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

The melodrama was a bit thick.
BrokenByDefault

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:21 am Reply with quote
I have to agree, my first impression of the opening was that something felt odd. The music they chose just doesn't match the feel of the show, I think a more mellow piece would've worked a lot better. But I'm looking forward to the rest of the music, though, that's for sure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2