• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Unveils Code:Breaker's English Dub Cast, Trailer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Good sample, I like the look of the cast list and Ogami sounds right on.

Saw the first couple of eps, I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of this show with this release.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I dont think even dub would be enough to make me get thing train wreck but the dub is nice
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
You could give this show one of those Disney dubs that Miyazaki movies get and it still wouldn't be watchable.
Schaef Dogg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. Last I heard, Jackie Ross moved to Seattle a couple years ago around the time she was finishing up Steins;Gate.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Schaef Dogg wrote:
Interesting. Last I heard, Jackie Ross moved to Seattle a couple years ago around the time she was finishing up Steins;Gate.

This could mean that either things didn't work out for her in Seattle, or they called her back to Texas temporarily for this role and maybe a few others.

The Steins;Gate movie, perhaps? Wink
Schaef Dogg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
This could mean that either things didn't work out for her in Seattle, or they called her back to Texas temporarily for this role and maybe a few others.

The Steins;Gate movie, perhaps? Wink

My thoughts exactly. Really hoping for some news on the Steins;Gate movie soon. Smile
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Was this show that bad? I know nothing about it.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
Was this show that bad? I know nothing about it.
Eh some will say yes others will say no i felt it was ok but not something i want to re watch
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
It's probably the worst show I've seen since I started watching fresh anime week-to-week (started this a couple years ago). After that is Magical Warfare.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
yoshiyukiblade wrote:
It's probably the worst show I've seen since I started watching fresh anime week-to-week (started this a couple years ago). After that is Magical Warfare.

Well, to be fair, the anime version of Code Breaker suffers from limited run time, had it given more episodes, the pacing issues would be a lot less significant. But yeah...the way it is for now, personally I probably will not re-watch this series even the dub is very well-done.

Magical Warfare...I guess Madhouse probably doesn't even care much about that show, forget about plots holes, the production values are pathetic for Madhouse standards too. Most likely Madhouse choose to concentrate their efforts on Mahouka, which in terms of popularity and quality is on a level way above the former. If that's the case, I don't blame them.

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
yoshiyukiblade wrote:

+1
RANGIT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:15 am Reply with quote
It's good to know that Jackie Ross has a new role, she has a really cute voice! Colleen Clinkenbeard mentioned in a video on YouTube (Fan Expo 2012 - Voice Acting 101 w/ Colleen Clinkenbeard) how they had to find a studio in Seattle and have Jackie record her lines for episode 25 (OVA) of Steins;Gate.

If she's only back temporarily, then I hope she's recorded her part for the Steins;Gate movie. I wouldn't want a recast of that.

I don't know anything about this show, but I'd really love to hear how she sounds here.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:02 am Reply with quote
I didn't like this show either, but I can't call it worse than Magical Warfare.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:52 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Well, to be fair, the anime version of Code Breaker suffers from limited run time, had it given more episodes, the pacing issues would be a lot less significant. But yeah...the way it is for now, personally I probably will not re-watch this series even the dub is very well-done.

I'm generally oblivious about any pacing issues an anime could have. It wasn't until I watched Attack on Titan where I really started feeling it (like that 3 min recap, extremely drawn out dialouge, etc.). It's not as bad as shows like DBZ, but as a kid I was even more oblivious by the absurdly slow pace, but I digress.

For me, there were a few things happening at once with the show that I didn't like. Shoujo-like setup of the cast (more or less a reverse harem), the straight up edgyness of the male MC and the complete failure at attempting make me empathize with the main villain despite trying so hard to make it work. It was early in my anime watching experience before I built up a profile of preferences, but now I can know what to avoid early on.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Colleen Clinkenbeard direction + Micah Solusod as "badass" male lead? We already saw that such a setup equals disaster with the craptastic Guilty Crown dub.

I like Colleen Clinkenbeard as a director. Her time with Fullmetal Alchemist has left her with the classic philosopher's stone ability of being able to turn dross into gold. Not to Stephen Foster's level, but she was able to make Fractale watchable which was a superhuman feat. That she couldn't make Guilty Crown's dub work thus speaks volumes.

I didn't know much about this show. I was going to preorder it. Now it is on the very back of the backburner and not on preorder. Maybe there's a role out there for Micah Solusod but it isn't "badasses".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1