• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) World Is Still Beautiful (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
spoony wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I feel like a few people here treat it as a job Sad.

More than a few people here seem to have more fun drilling down on a given anime than they do actually watching it. Not a job -- much worse than that.

This is a discussion forum. We're discussing. Everyone has their own ways of enjoying a story, and I happen to like analyzing them.

Oh, yeah. I count myself as part of that group. Sometimes at least.

However, there is also sometimes you have to say chill dude just enjoy the show you're overthinking it.
spoony

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
spoony wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I feel like a few people here treat it as a job Sad.

More than a few people here seem to have more fun drilling down on a given anime than they do actually watching it. Not a job -- much worse than that.

This is a discussion forum. We're discussing. Everyone has their own ways of enjoying a story, and I happen to like analyzing them.

Oh, yeah. I count myself as part of that group. Sometimes at least.

However, there is also sometimes you have to say chill dude just enjoy the show you're overthinking it.

Fair enough. I guess you just have to know where you're threshold is. If analyzing the show is making you hate it, then it's time to either stop analyzing or drop the show and quit bothering the people who like it.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I don't see a problem with any of the discussion so far. This is clearly shaping up to this year's (or at least the first half of this year's) Heavily Analyzed Show. Last year it was Attack on Titan and in 2012 it was SAO (the beefy big brother of all HASs).

That being said, I do think people are raising questions and concerns too passionately, too early. We're only three episodes in, so some of this stuff is going to be explained/elaborated on as the series plays out. The series has already shown that it's in no hurry concerning its world-building, and that's fine; so far we haven't needed a broader perspective because the story has been entirely about its two leads and (for eps 2 and 3) how they relate and interact.

The one point I do see as a legitimate ongoing discussion point is Livius's age. They seem to be playing the little tease game that H games play which goes something like "she's really 18 even though she's clearly in middle school." Frankly, I find Livius more believable thinking about him being more like a 14 or 15 year old who hasn't started puberty yet; him being only 11 or 12 would not only be creepy but raise some credibility red flags for me. (That being said, this show has nothing on the aforementioned Astarotte's Toy in that regard.)

Aside from that issue, though, I continue to absolutely adore this show and think that, through three episodes, it stands head and shoulders above everything else this season except perhaps the continuation of Mushishi. (And I'm not going to watch that one even though it's good.) Loved the third episode, especially this shot:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:32 am Reply with quote
BOY, OH BOY, AM I HAVING FUN WATCHING THESE TWO GO AT IT. Laughing
And a tender moment here and there.

This is more like it. This is exactly what I signed up for. Anime catgrin

Nike's dress-up was very pretty.

I will admit though; characters sleeping naked is something I don't quite understand...and this isn't the first anime I've seen that does it. Even completely serious, mature, fanservice-free anime like Witch Hunter Robin makes its heroine sleep nude. I'm not grossed out or anything but I'm just like ".......why? Do they not have pajamas!? What about a big shirt then?"

........yeah. I don't get it. Anime hyper Unless it's extremely hot out, I would think that's rather uncomfortable to do. Anime is the only media I've seen that shows sleeping naked characters that are not before or after sex scenes. It's weird.

Last edited by Chiibi on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Honestly, I don't see a problem with any of the discussion so far. This is clearly shaping up to this year's (or at least the first half of this year's) Heavily Analyzed Show. Last year it was Attack on Titan and in 2012 it was SAO (the beefy big brother of all HASs).

I was expecting Mahouka to be the most discussed show this season based on how popular the SAO thread was. I didn't think this show would be so highly discussed. I was expecting 3-4 pages by episode 3, not 10 lol.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
What shows hit big in the discussion threads and what don't aren't easy to predict; I don't think anyone anticipated that the SAO thread would blow up to be the longest series thread we've ever had, for instance.

And I think that the Mahouka thread has been hurt by the fact that quite a few people have already given up on it. (But an underwhelming first two episodes will do that.) I'm debating whether I want to bother with watching the third episode of that one or not because I've just found too little to care about in that one - unlike here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:12 am Reply with quote
Yea I am going to stick with Mr. young king being 15 until I see any concrete evidence to the contrary. I just don't think he is believable at all being much younger than that anyway. As I said before, I do think the music, visuals, and other aesthetics of this show are fantastic. Also, Nike is a very likeable lead. I'm curious to see how her relationship plays out with Mr. young king and I will probably watch this series to its conclusion... but that being said, I do have my disappointments. I mentioned some of them... I think the writing has been very awkward, many times, particularly the dialogue and exposition. We'll see if the show can overcome those things.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:51 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And I think that the Mahouka thread has been hurt by the fact that quite a few people have already given up on it. (But an underwhelming first two episodes will do that.) I'm debating whether I want to bother with watching the third episode of that one or not because I've just found too little to care about in that one - unlike here.

A lot of people had big expectations for SAO and after they were not met, people simply liked to criticize it. Mahouka thus far has offered very little to discuss about - there's no actual plot yet, characters aren't developed and the worldbuilding doesn't make very much sense as of now. I'm sure it'll pick up speed later, but who knows how many will be watching then.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:52 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I will admit though; characters sleeping naked is something I don't quite understand...and this isn't the first anime I've seen that does it. Even completely serious, mature, fanservice-free anime like Witch Hunter Robin makes its heroine sleep nude. I'm not grossed out or anything but I'm just like ".......why? Do they not have pajamas!? What about a big shirt then?"

........yeah. I don't get it. Anime hyper Unless it's extremely hot out, I would think that's rather uncomfortable to do.

It's not. I've never understood pajamas, unless you are sleeping in a dorm or other communal room where nudity might be an issue. I avoid those situations though, because sleeping in clothes is so uncomfortable when you toss and turn like I do that I just can't sleep at all. I guess that's why it seems perfectly natural to me that the King, who has no one who can really tell him what he has to do, chooses not to bother with pjs.
trescaballeros

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:24 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
For the sake of argument, why would it be out of line for an 11 year old to sexually tease a girl? I see it happen all the time. I've seen 9 year olds do it.

Crawling into Nike's bed naked and then just sleeping. That is totally something an 11 year old would do. So far he hasn't even attempted to grope her. Kissing is something pre-pubescents see and at least partially understand so that's his where his first experimentations go -- totally realistically. And if he is really 11 and not 15 that would explain where all the mistresses and concubines are. The don't exist because he doesn't have that kind of interest.

You are talking about an 11 year old that led a multi-year military conquest of the known world, answers to no one, and has complete power over everyone. Why doesn't anyone post with outrage about that? Answer: because it doesn't involve sex and therefore doesn't give people heebie-jeebies.

And to an 11 year old there would be not much difference for him if Nike was 22, 18, 16, or 11. He'd still tease her the same way.

One other thing that occurred to me: this seems to be a sort of reciprocal situation ago Astarotte's Toy. If this gentle little story bothers you then that one would make your head asplode.

Okay. Point taken. I forgot that I'm posting in a community largely based in The Land Of The Free(Where Kids Age Too Quickly). I'm a sheltered, close-minded prude. Happy now?

But bringing up something like Astarotte's Toy and bringing out the "You think that is bad? THIS is worse!" card with it is ineffective and a bit out of line in this discussion. I'm sure it's obvious that from all the nasty stuff that that title's makers had put in there that the demographics for the show won't go beyond the loli-obsessed otaku crowd. With SoreSekai, there is an obvious attempt to reach out to a broader audience, so this child nudity thing strikes me as more than a bit jarring, while everything else is squeaky-clean so far. Granted that there IS a scene like this in the manga, but the nudity there strangely doesn't feel as...skeevy as that in the anime. Now I'm actually wishing that they DID age him up to 14/15 in the anime.

So see, I'm not being a prude. I'm just a bit bothered by this sudden show of prepubescent sexuality because to me, at least, it came completely out of left field and unnecessary to the story.

And for everyone else, especially Key and ChibiKangaroo: here's a scan of the manga where they're discussing his age. Feel free to have someone who reads Japanese to read it for you.:

I've already said what I have to say there. Honestly, I really want to enjoy this show, and I am still intent on watching it. But I don't know if I'll still continue to discuss it here, if I'll keep on getting this kind of hostility with the personal views and information I divulge.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:09 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Yea I am going to stick with Mr. young king being 15 until I see any concrete evidence to the contrary.

He could turn to the camera and say, "Hey y'all, I'm 15" and it wouldn't make any difference to me. Go back to episode three and check out that long shot that shows both he and Nike full-length in frame (sorry I'm technically too incompetent to do a screenshot). She friggin' towers over him. The only evidence I care about is what my eyes perceive. If they just show his face, I can kinda squint and pretend he's 14 or 15, but as soon as you see the two of them side by side full length, it's game over.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:16 am Reply with quote
Well i'm not sure who you were referring to as far as hostility. I'm simply giving my opinion on the show. Also, my Japanese is very rusty, but the page you showed there in the picture, most of the writing is a bit small for me to try and understand but it seems like at the relevant section where "12" is being mentioned, it appears like he is trying to recall the age? He starts off by saying "hayai yonee" which indicates he is saying he did something fast. The next sentence he is recalling what age, and then says "12 da." I am wondering if this conversation is referring to when he conquered the world? I have seen others comment about how he supposedly conquered the world at age 12, and the story takes place 3 years after that. Like I said, I can't see that page close enough to try and read any more of it and my Japanese is bad, but if you have translated that entire page (or someone else has) it would be good to know the full context.

Edit: Thinking some more on that part, he could be saying what age he will become, since the "ni naru" is not past tense. I suppose he could be referring to an upcoming birthday as you indicated before. Meh, like I said, I can't read most of the text easily but perhaps you are right there.

Last edited by ChibiKangaroo on Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:30 am; edited 2 times in total
trescaballeros

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:20 am Reply with quote
Nope, ChibiKangaroo, I wasn't talking about you. You're actually chill and okay. Sorry there. I was a bit taken aback by HaruhiToy's argumentativeness and I did a sweeping generalization, while I should only be referring to him/her alone.

Anyway, that was the only raw I have for the moment, and I don't have the contact details of the people who gave me that to ask them to translate it for me, so I don't really have much to go on to convince you.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:52 am Reply with quote

14 or 15, my ass.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:16 am Reply with quote
I do agree with you Blood about his height. I noted that early on in my commentary. He does have the height of an 11 year old kid. I was saying I couldn't accept him being that young because of his voice and facial appearance. I mentioned that it seemed to me like they just took the model of an older character (like late teens or early twenties) and just scaled down his size to that of a kid. I fully agree that his height is ridiculously short.

This is why I said early on that this whole character is a "shota who is not a shota." The artists are clearly trying to appeal to the shota audience with this character, there is no question about that. However, I think there is some kind of hedging going on, or as I mentioned in one of my first posts, they would have used a girl to voice him, as was the case with Ciel Phantomhive. Instead they used an older guy who SOUNDS EXACTLY like an older guy in the anime. Why? Have you ever in your life heard an 11 year old who sounds like he is 22 when speaking? I doubt it is possible.

That being said, I think at a minimum, the page shown by trescaballeros creates some indication that the manga may have possibly had him aged 11. (I still do want to see Volume 3, Chapter 13, Page17 as mentioned by the mangafox user, to see if there was a mention of him being 15 as indicated.)

I understand that character bios can be changed between original source material and the media produced for mass audiences. Unfortunately, the official pages for the anime don't list his age (Which is strange. Usually these official pages like to list character age in their bios.) So, I do have to wonder why they are being so cagey about this? Yea, again maybe it is an attempt to keep it a mystery to keep the shota audience appeased while at the same time allowing them to rely on the "he's older than he looks" excuse that I talked about before. At this point, we are only getting early indications of how they will use Mr. young king, as Theron noted. IF Mr. young king really is supposed to be 11, I do think this show is going to create a LOT of interesting conversations going forward, especially if the nudity in episode 3 was only the beginning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 34