• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Race Hakone With Initial D Rental Cars

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meygaera

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
AHHHHHHHHH I so hope that one of the 2 days they do this in July is the the day I'll be spending in Hakone!! Although, shifting with my left hand would be awkward...
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
You get used to it. With a little practice making the switch from right to left shift is not so bad. The harder part is remembering that the road rules you're used to on the right, are now on the left. You've got to be constantly mindful of that.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Haha well after watching the anime, they don't seem to care which side of the road they are on. But yea I guess getting used to driving on the left side of the road comes first before learning how to shift with your left.
Dfens

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
At one time or another I owned all 3 of those cars, so driving one is not that much of a new experience. But driving on a mountain pass like those in Japan would be a blast.

But would you need a international drivers license if you are not a Japanese Citizen? Or do they also require insurance or something in case you have a accident? Most importantly they probably won't let you speed and break traffic laws doing some spirited driving and or drifting.

Wonder if all those cars are stock probably are lite mods.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
It was labeled a "tourist" attraction so I'm sure they aren't tuned like they were in the show. It seems to be more of a scenic type thing than a racing thing.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:21 am Reply with quote
Might be easier Australian/NZ/UK tourists being used to driving on the left (and yes, I'd imagine that a current international drivers licence would be required to drive one of the vehicles).

My Initial-D pilgrimage was simply walking the Usui Pass from Karuizawa to Yokokawa in Gunma prefecture (whilst using a hotel in Takasaki):

http://www.madman.com.au/fanzone/display/79266.img
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
No, you're not actually allowed to race on Hakone. You're not allowed to drive aggressively at all, technically.
HockeyKamen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Would you want to do this if you were going on a trip to Japan this summer?

My Answer: Yes, I would. Very Happy Though I would probably have to hire a driver since I don't have much in regards to real-world driving skills. ^^;;;;;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:24 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Might be easier Australian/NZ/UK tourists being used to driving on the left (and yes, I'd imagine that a current international drivers licence would be required to drive one of the vehicles).

My Initial-D pilgrimage was simply walking the Usui Pass from Karuizawa to Yokokawa in Gunma prefecture (whilst using a hotel in Takasaki):

http://www.madman.com.au/fanzone/display/79266.img

It would have been better on a road bike Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1