• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Josh Grelle to Voice Maou/Satan in The Devil is a Part-timer! English Dub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
Ughhh

I'm not one to quickly dismiss dubs, and Funimation has put out a lot of good dubs, but this one...hurts. The characters don't even sound remotely the same.
Sobe

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
Oh damn. This looks really good. Can't wait for Toradora AND this. Oh yeah. I personally like it. Yeah, Emilia was very well done by the Japanese voice actress but I know this will definitely live up to my expectations given Maou and Alsiel.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
Josh Grelle will be fantastic as always... but the other voices sound kinda bad.

I'll watch it just for Mr Grelle.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
Roxas4ever wrote:
Ughhh

I'm not one to quickly dismiss dubs, and Funimation has put out a lot of good dubs, but this one...hurts. The characters don't even sound remotely the same.

Yeah, because having the characters sound exactly the same in English as they do in Japanese is totally the point of a dub.

Anyway, I'm glad that Grelle is Satan, but I'm a little disappointed they didn't go with someone else. Weird, I know.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Not terrible impressed by the trailer, but I expect this Funimation dub to be strong, as usual. I am still a bit surprised that Funimation is not doing a premium edition, a la Kamisama Kiss or Psycho-Pass, for The Devil is a Part-Timer! According to them, it had great streaming numbers.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

Yeah, because having the characters sound exactly the same in English as they do in Japanese is totally the point of a dub.

Some people really think that. I don't get it myself but people like to complain about something.

I laughed at "black pepper fries .. Heyahh!" so point of the dub achieved. My complaint is that Josh Grelle is also headlining Date a Live. Different directors, different casting calls, same result.

I don't doubt he can do it but good male leads is the one obvious thing Funimation has over Sentai {the unobvious one? Retakes} and t's a shame not to use it.
king 47

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
The synopsis for this show is really stupid, but the show turned out to be quite good and enjoyable. It was one of the best in its season.
I don't know if I'd want to watch it again though, and the dub doesn't seem to work for me.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, changing the voices of characters can also lead to changing how the original creator(s) intended the characters to be/act. That's pretty much a personality change, and yeah, that's not a good thing.

I'm not saying dubs should be 100% faithful (let's be real here, dubs exist mostly because some people want their foreign media americanized), but I still think that changing characters is a very bad thing to do.

I could list some really good examples of how changing voices can lead to changing the character from the recent Attack on Titan, but if I do I just know i'm going to have some butthurt guy so far up my behind that he can see the sun through my northern opening.

Edit: Everything is not about the voice (of course), someone who has a slightly unfitting voice for a character, but has enough voice acting skill can make up for the bad parts. But someone who has the perfect voice but lacks enough voice acting skill will not be able to make up for bad acting.

Somone who has an unfitting voice & is not a very good actor... Yeah... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by SouthPacific on Wed May 07, 2014 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I don't doubt he can do it but good male leads is the one obvious thing Funimation has over Sentai {the unobvious one? Retakes} and t's a shame not to use it.

Don't lump all Sentai dubs together...as most everyone likes to think Sentai dubs are all crap

No.6, the dub is really good and they're using someone new for Rat

tsuritama also has a really enjoyable dub

And even I won't buy Kids on the Slope (I watched a few episodes dubbed of it) Andrew Love does a really good job

And are people forgetting...that Josh Grelle also does dubs for Sentai???
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
The trailer sounds good! I'm excited to hear the rest of the dub.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
let's be real here, dubs exist mostly because some people want their foreign media americanized

Americanized? What? No.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:
let's be real here, dubs exist mostly because some people want their foreign media americanized

Americanized? What? No.

"No."

Very argument.

Quick example; one thing I often see (certain) people complain about is how they don't get the comedy in the original Japanese, and/or that the comedy in the US dub is much better.

US dubs tend to change jokes to be more relatable for american audiences. Need I say more? "No" Razz
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Josh Grelle as Satan? WIN! Very Happy
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
MAN! I'm glad this got dub! I heard good reviews about this show.

I don't watch shows unless their dub; All I care about is if the voice acting is at least solid and I'm entertained.

Now if a show is a historical type, maybe I would care.

Americanized? If I was the licensee and I had a show I thought would make money in different Countries, I'd have multiple dubs not just here in america.
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
Well, changing the voices of characters can also lead to changing how the original creator(s) intended the characters to be/act. That's pretty much a personality change, and yeah, that's not a good thing.

I'm not saying dubs should be 100% faithful (let's be real here, dubs exist mostly because some people want their foreign media americanized), but I still think that changing characters is a very bad thing to do.

I could list some really good examples of how changing voices can lead to changing the character from the recent Attack on Titan, but if I do I just know i'm going to have some butthurt guy so far up my behind that he can see the sun through my northern opening.

Edit: Everything is not about the voice (of course), someone who has a slightly unfitting voice for a character, but has enough voice acting skill can make up for the bad parts. But someone who has the perfect voice but lacks enough voice acting skill will not be able to make up for bad acting.

Somone who has an unfitting voice & is not a very good actor... Yeah... Rolling Eyes

Yes! This is why I was disappointed with the trailer.

Characters don't need to sound EXACTLY the same, but, as mentioned, certain personality traits come across in the voice, and, when the voice is changed, so is the character.

Occasionally shows benefit from this (Baccano!), and some, although different, bring a new aspect to the characters that was not there in the original but still feels faithful to the source material (Ouran). However, if a company is not careful, the English adaptation can change the characters to the extent that they no longer resemble the characters we fell in love with.

While I'm disappointed with the two voices we heard in the trailer, I am looking forward to hearing Aaron Dismuke as Lucifer. His voice could fit very well with everyone's favorite demonic NEET.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2