• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Reprinting Case Closed Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Good. I was only at Vol.1-3 and haven't collected those ever since. :/ I failed at this. Lol.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I never knew Viz stopped printing the other volumes (or the older ones more specifically). Well that's good for anyone who is planning to collect them or who want to finish their collection. However I still would like if they either publish an omnibus collection of Detective Conan or made it available digitally. It's a very long series and it would be nice and economical if they choose to do one of those options.

Dark Absol wrote:
I was only at Vol.1-3 and haven't collected those ever since. :/ I failed at this. Lol.

You are not the only one at least. I have been falling behind on my manga collection too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
You are not the only one at least. I have been falling behind on my manga collection too.

Would you be surprised if I were to say that I have over 1,216 individual volumes of manga in my collection, and yet didn't go back to Case Closed manga?

I still wished that Viz would pick up Shakugan no Shana manga along with its light novel again. ;(
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow! You have way more manga then I do. The last I check I think I own over 20 or 30 manga series or less (I forgot the exact count), and I never thought about counting my individual volumes. Do you have a of space where you live or you have a special way of storing your manga?

As for Shana of the Burning Eyes Viz stopped publishing those books too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
deaththekid666

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
I capped in around 8 volumes I had no idea they stopped printing. I had a lot of manga at one point but then some of it got stolen so I haven't felt the need to want to collect manga for the past few years although I have bought two or three in the past year and a half so its not all bad I guess.
Mr_42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:33 am Reply with quote
Oh for Crying out loud!!!

I literally a few weeks ago got my hands on the last volume I needed!
Now they're re-releasing them in a nice easy to get hold of reprint....
Just my luck. Very Happy

Never mind, if it gets more people interested in a great Whodunnit series I'm all for it!
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:46 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
Wow! You have way more manga then I do. The last I check I think I own over 20 or 30 manga series or less (I forgot the exact count), and I never thought about counting my individual volumes. Do you have a of space where you live or you have a special way of storing your manga?

3 shelves tall enough to almost touching the ceiling. Of course, I'm looking to add more shelves.

Quote:

Viz ceased all publishing of Shakugan no Shana titles at 2nd volume of light novel version and 6th volume of manga. In other words, Viz effectively canceled 'em. :/

Makes me wonder if I can go back to collecting Cased Closed (from 4th volume and so on) again or not, because I just started collecting Attack on Titan at Volume 1, which I just got and recently finished collecting Black Cat at 20th volume (started collecting this title last year) and there are many 'ecchi' titles/volumes (my favorite genre) that are coming out this year. ;(
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:36 am Reply with quote
If I ever start collecting this, it will be in digital form. I don't have the space for a 60+ volume series. I've got enough books already D:
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:

3 shelves tall enough to almost touching the ceiling. Of course, I'm looking to add more shelves.

SIGH, and here I'm the guy who trashed most of his collection (partially blind buys I didn't like, partially stuff I didn't have room for/lost interest in when I stopped reading manga...including Maison Ikkoku, all but the last 3 volumes I once had), keeps what he does have on a small shelf inside his closet at the top, and only has 25 individual volumes of translated manga altogether (GIVE OR TAKE A FEW THAT I KNOW I HAVE BUT DON'T SEE UP THERE...WHERE ARE YOU MERMAID SAGA AND MAISON IKKOKU...oh I see them). The only series I have that I am completing are Sailor Moon (gave first 2 volumes to my nieces, haven't gotten last 2 yet), Rurouni Kenshin (got VizBIG 2-4) and Lady Snowblood. I have about 8 volumes of Japanese-language manga; looking to complete more series from that (Fist of the North Star, the new Ultimate Edition, Jojo, and Devilman, U-Jin's Angel, Urusei Yatsura, and Happy Negative Marriage, maybe also Miyuki from Mitsuru Adachi).

Anyway, guess I have a ways to go in my manga collection... O.o

As for DETECTIVE CONAN...I'm afraid I'll be skipping the Viz edition, tanks. Good to know they're back in print though.

Last edited by doomydoomdoom on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
I hated how they changed the names and script for Case Closed. COME ON GUYS. We may be Westerners, but DON'T TREAT US LIKE CHILDREN. We can actually make the effort to understand Japanese names and culture. It isn't that difficult.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
And that's exactly why I don't really want to support the English version of the manga. I'm not sure how much it was Viz's fault (I heard that it was TMS who mandated that FUNi use the name "Case Closed" rather than "Detective Conan", for example), but I really don't want the names and cultural references 4Kidsed.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Yep, I'm another one who isn't interested till the manga gets a proper translation with the correct names. If it wasn't enough that One Piece and Detective Conan are super long to the point that money and space are an issue, there had to be poor long running translation choices. It isn't nearly as bad for One Piece (Zoro vs Zolo and the first volume not letting the reader know what the "£%$#" Luffy is saying) but Detective Conan... >_>

Given how Dragon Ball hasn't got a proper and uncensored translation in English yet, it may never come...
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
I hated how they changed the names and script for Case Closed. COME ON GUYS. We may be Westerners, but DON'T TREAT US LIKE CHILDREN. We can actually make the effort to understand Japanese names and culture. It isn't that difficult.

Well, at least it isn't jellyfilled donuts replacing onigiri~ LOL
OT: Yeah, I agree. I hate the name changes. Just keep it the original.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Viz was never popular when it comes to censoring manga, especially when it comes to the anime version (cropped version, tv version which is censored, etc).
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:26 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:

I'm afraid so. haven't seen a new Vol of shakguan no shana at all.

Also glad their restocking on detective conan which means their not gonna give up on the series like what they did with Bastard!!

However it would have made more sense if their had just do it via the BIG editions considering how long a series this is. not to mentioned that they should have kept its original name as well as using the original japaneese translations instead of the crappy ass americanized ones that was in the eariler volumes. hopefully the republished version will have those changes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2