• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Sols Eater

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I'll open the thread with a boring bug report: the direct link downloads the last ANNcast, the E3 one, instead of this one.

EDIT: Well, never mind, it's working now. Derp.

Regarding people not watching the streams and just supporting stuff they already liked, I guess I'm atypical; I watched almost every series Sols put up for at least three episodes. I never saw Dear Brother before Sols started running it, but I admit that I turned to the old fansubs so I didn't have to watch it only once a week.

Not sure how I feel about taking pledges just to subtitle a series based on a three episode sampler, though. I really like the first three episodes of Tekkaman, for instance, but I think it generally weakened as it went along.

Last edited by Fronzel on Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if there is a chance that animesols will grab the rights to the first kindaichi series. I still have the subtitle files for episodes 1-39 almost for the first tv series.

I actually have had quite a few customers ask me for dear brother, and black jack has been selling at my booth at various cons. Black jack is easily the best selling.

as for the whole fan subs are necessary for people to buy the sets. as a retro fansubbers who goes by old subbing ethics like many which contrary to popular belief are not totally dead...well you know.

That said it is not in a good state at all. I am rather embarrassed to be associated with many of these rip, "alteration" and pirate groups. The people who actually would do any of those shows though actually would respect what animesol did and would probably pay for it to be up there and sub it themselves and give it to the site for free.

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:49 pm; edited 4 times in total
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I think Sam misunderstood Justin's question about streaming. It sounded like he was asking about putting Anime Sols series streams on other platforms for visibility rather than grabbing shows for DVD releases from Crunchyroll, etc. Of course there's a problem with that idea: most of the Anime Sols shows don't get fully subbed which probably limits potential venues.
F-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Hearing about the option to crowdfund subs makes me very happy. I was recently starting to donate for Dororo fansubs, but now I can do it to the official source instead!

Also extremely happy to hear you want to attempt Blu-ray for the Black Jack OVAs. I would just recommend doing it for the widescreen episodes only though. The 4:3 episodes had their aspect ratio changed for the Blu-ray release in Japan, and I hear it's really not adequate that way. EDIT: I meant only release the widescreen ones on Blu-ray, but release the 4:3 ones on DVD too.

Last edited by F-Man on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Has Aka-chan to Boku been considered as a project? It's Yomiuri and Pierrot.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
There's still a good number of fansubbers for older content out there, like Fandora was finally subbed.
NeySnow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I think its a mistake to add another layer of funding before the DVD goal.

I think they should only do 3-5 episodes streaming, then have a goal for the DVD's. It would also help to at least have less volumes overall for the longer shows. Sure, more expensive, but ideally people want to pledge for the whole thing at once.

Maybe the site should have a pledge option for the series as a whole set? Set it to auto pledge the same amount whenever a new volume is added for a series. Email the user every time it happens etc. That way people won't have to remember to keep track of pledging multiple times for a show.

The active pledges could also be organised on the site to be more viewable/easier to see right away. A simple list with a link to go to the pledging for that show would be good on the front page. It seems a little jumbled on the sets section.

Also, F-Man, I don't understand why you would want an incomplete series with the BJ OVA's. Even if the 4:3 eps are cropped, it would be preferable to have everything.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
There's still a good number of fansubbers for older content out there...

In fact, a handful of episodes of Dororo have been subbed, too.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
There's still a good number of fansubbers for older content out there...

In fact, a handful of episodes of Dororo have been subbed, too.

Speaking from experience half the battle some times can just be the fact that there are no versions of the episode that you can get your hands on. Kindaichi case files original for example has only like a 1/4 of its episodes on dvd and the rest are almost 20 year old laserdiscs you need to track down.

I would love to pay for subs for kodomo no omocha's second half personally.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I will admit that I am one of those people who don't watch the streams & simply pledge, but I have always pledged for shows that I have never seen before that caught my interest. Stuff like Tobikage, Polymar, Yatterman, etc. were titles I wanted to see & even own on DVD. I can see why Sam was semi-worried about people being non-exploratory, and that's because most people just don't want to explore; they want to stick to the straight path & not veer away. I even did a post on my blog a week ago about the concept of introducing "Never Before Seen Anime" via official licensing beind a dead concept, because even Discotek is afraid explore outside of the realm of "it's at least been fansubbed already or has a existing fanbase". This extends to Anime Sols as well, unfortunately, and it's essentially a Catch-22: Fans won't explore & try unknown titles out if they aren't being made available, or aren't widely available, but companies won't take the risk if they feel the fans won't bite.

As much as I hate to say it, people like me, who love to explore & discover stuff that has never been heard of before, just don't exist in any notable number when it comes to anime fandom. Most people act like, and I hate to say this exact word, "sheep", simply consuming the newest stuff that comes out & being pleased with nothing more than that. They will never decide to search out stuff that's not immediately in front of them, because there's just so much "grass" to "eat". They don't care about the history of the medium all that much, they (very) rarely check out "older" titles (and the definition of "older" varies wildly, depending on the individual), and they generally feel so "full" with what's constantly airing that they feel they don't have the time to explore.

Personally, when Sam first announced Anime Sols I was ecstatic about the concept, because I felt like I could finally check out titles that I either never knew about or at least never got the chance to see (or simply I want to see them with actual English subtitles). To my own fault, though, I have always preferred watching something via some sort of "owned" media, either physical of a digital file, instead of streaming, so I haven't actually watched a number of the titles over at Sols. Then once the sets failed & the shows would never get fully subbed, I felt more discouraged to even start watching them. I guess if there was hope that the show would at least be fully available streamed over at Sols, like Sam brought up the possibility of crowdfunding, then I hope to finally pull through on the personal ambition I had towards Anime Sols.

Good luck with Sol's second year, Sam. I guess I could try sending an e-mail with some potential titles to stream, seeing that Sols is looking into the occasional anime outside of the partner companies. At the very least, I could keep the "already fansubbed" requests to an absolute minimum.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Neyshow:
Quote:
I think its a mistake to add another layer of funding before the DVD goal.

They wanna know the demand is there. There's no point otherwise.

Fronzel: These Dororo eps will probably be in higher quality.
F-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
NeySnow wrote:
Also, F-Man, I don't understand why you would want an incomplete series with the BJ OVA's. Even if the 4:3 eps are cropped, it would be preferable to have everything.

Oh no, I meant release a first volume as DVD (7 first episodes in 4:3) and the rest of the episodes on a second volume on widescreen Blu-ray. Use the same kind of packaging to make the whole set pretty and voilà.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I'll note that I watched more Dear Brother on Viki than on AnimeSols, and Black Jack TV as well.

If either had a Roku channel, I'd watch it on the site with the Roku.

But since neither does, Viki has an Android app, and AnimeSols doesn't, so I'm more likely to open the Viki app and watch than to open my web browser, go to AnimeSols and watch.

Also, Zac snubbed my twitter question again (because, again, it was already answered in the interview before getting to twitter time).

Last edited by agila61 on Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Suena

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Has Aka-chan to Boku been considered as a project? It's Yomiuri and Pierrot.

That's one I'd certainly pay for! I saw a few fansubbed episodes before switching over to the manga.

I think paying for subbed episodes is an interesting idea. People already do the equivalent of this in scanlation groups. If people donate x amount of money, the managers will buy and translate a certain series, and people actually do send money toward that kind of thing.

As far as avoiding last-minute rush: I know that a lot of people have said they don't like the "get billed when the funding is met" part. You pledge for something, and don't know when you'll be billed. For most crowdfunding, you pay up front or when the funding period ends (so you can put a reminder in your calendar to make sure that you have $150 in your checking account to pay with). I think having a set billing date (like the end date) might make it less scary for prospective contributers.
Felis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I hope the Black Jack OVAs won't be cropped like they were on the Japanese blu-ray release. Will the Anime Sols release include the movie as well or just the OVAs? It would be nice to get a new release for the movie because I think the old Manga Entertainment release of it looks like crap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5