• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Metagross Mega Evolution Debuts in Pokémon Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire 3DS Games

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:18 am Reply with quote
That is no surprise to anyone tbh. I like Metagross but have barely ever used it. The mega evolution looks okay, I'm not complaining. He already looked badass before the evolution
shiranehito

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:18 am Reply with quote
YES. JUST YES. I already expected this.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:22 am Reply with quote
Safe to say all they're gonna give all of the pseudo's a Mega Evo at this point. They only have Dragonite, Salamence, Hydreigon, and Goodra left.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
He kinda looks like Athruns Aegis gundam transformed...or maybe its just me
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy Stay awesome Daigo/Steven. That'll do!
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
Safe to say all they're gonna give all of the pseudo's a Mega Evo at this point.

What do you mean by pseudo?

As for the design itself, I think it's a cool design for this sub species of the pokémon. The extra to arms/hands and pointy thing makes them look even more intimidating then before. From the look of the design it looks as if they can grab and hold of a pokémon, or a person, with all their four hands and bring them towards their pointy thing to impale them to death.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
What do you mean by pseudo?

It means there are a few non-legendary pokemon that have stats similar to those of legendary pokemon (eg. metagross, tyranitar, dragonite etc)

We call those pokemon pseudo legendaries, as in they're not legendary but sure as hell pack a similar punch
newudam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Time to get a shiny Metagross Laughing
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Pseudo Legendaries have a base stat of 600 which is a breakdown of their stats, hp, att, def, spc att, spc def, and spd, and how they will generally grow. Only legendary pokemon have a higher base stat then 600 and they are meant to be super powerful pokemon because they are legendary. Generally the only time you worry about base stats is if you are a competitive multiplayer in pokemon. Then you have to get into stuff like ev training and proper nature's for your pokemon and that shit can get confusing and real time consuming. Beyond that if you only play pokemon for the single player side of it then you should only worry about making a team of pokemon you like or just a well balanced team that cover each others weaknesses. Me personally my favorite team of pokemon is Blaziken, Empoleon, Electivire, Garchomp, Tyranitar, and Metagross. Sure there are three psuedo legendaries but the team would get crushed more then likely competitively and the team has some big weaknesses mainly earth, fighting, and water pokemon but it is a team of my favorite pokemon so I have fun with the game.

Now I am happy Metagross is getting a mega form he is one of my favorite pokemon and I do like the design. Yet I wish they went with something more along the lines of one fan art that was made where Mega Metagross has a scorpion like design where he get a tail it looks really awesome.

Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

It means there are a few non-legendary pokemon that have stats similar to those of legendary pokemon (eg. metagross, tyranitar, dragonite etc)

We call those pokemon pseudo legendaries, as in they're not legendary but sure as hell pack a similar punch

Monster Hunter wrote:
Pseudo Legendaries have a base stat of 600 which is a breakdown of their stats, hp, att, def, spc att, spc def, and spd, and how they will generally grow. Only legendary pokemon have a higher base stat then 600 and they are meant to be super powerful pokemon because they are legendary. Generally the only time you worry about base stats is if you are a competitive multiplayer in pokemon. Then you have to get into stuff like ev training and proper nature's for your pokemon and that shit can get confusing and real time consuming. Beyond that if you only play pokemon for the single player side of it then you should only worry about making a team of pokemon you like or just a well balanced team that cover each others weaknesses. Me personally my favorite team of pokemon is Blaziken, Empoleon, Electivire, Garchomp, Tyranitar, and Metagross. Sure there are three psuedo legendaries but the team would get crushed more then likely competitively and the team has some big weaknesses mainly earth, fighting, and water pokemon but it is a team of my favorite pokemon so I have fun with the game.

Thanks for explaining what pseudo legendaries are you two (sorry I didn't reply right away). As to whether I play for competition or fun recently it's been for both, but I have been busy with other things to train my pokémon (and I was so looking forward to competing against other people with the team I would work hard to make great Sad ).

As for the design, the fan art of the (at the time possible) mega evolution of the metegross looks nice, but I personally like the official form better in terms of both appearance and practicality. Would a mega metegross depicted in this fan art be able to use the scorpion like tail they have, or is it just their for show? The tail looks stiff to the point it doesn't seem like it would move, but I could be wrong. Even if they could move the tail. I don't know if they would be able to hold their opponents down with it. The tail looks a bit too short to extend towards the front to be able to pin someone or something down. Plus despite having spikes on the tip they don't appear as sharp to penetrate their opponents. In short the design of this sub-species doesn't look as threatening as the official design.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1