• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Satelight, Rejet Announce Collaboration Event Anime Zephyr

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I have to admire Satelight's ability to just apparently shrug off bomb show after bomb show both in terms of critical appraisal and financial success. Either they have sheer grit and determination to just keep at it or they have a very generous investor that somehow sees potential in them. Truth be told though besides maybe White Album 2 and maybe Space Pirate Mini Skirt Girls I can't remember the last time a Satelight produced anime was well received in any particular way. You'd probably have to go back to Macross Frontier to see it.
Rufifox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
I have to admire Satelight's ability to just apparently shrug off bomb show after bomb show both in terms of critical appraisal and financial success. Either they have sheer grit and determination to just keep at it or they have a very generous investor that somehow sees potential in them. Truth be told though besides maybe White Album 2 and maybe Space Pirate Mini Skirt Girls I can't remember the last time a Satelight produced anime was well received in any particular way. You'd probably have to go back to Macross Frontier to see it.

You're forgetting that Log Horizon was well received with a second season coming in October. Can't say much about the rest. Smile
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Rufifox wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

You're forgetting that Log Horizon was well received with a second season coming in October. Can't say much about the rest. Smile

Oh yeah I forgot that for some reason that show was hugely popular with the Crunchyroll and MAL crowds. Admittedly I barely survived the antics of the first episode and it already having the trademark Satelight budget issues and just never looked back. It wouldn't be the first time that there was this show that a certain sizeable audience was totally head over heels for and felt was "teh hype" that I personally was just so completely meh on to the point where I couldn't even bother remembering it's existence and so totally forgot it was popular in the first place. Laughing

Last edited by Kaioshin_Sama on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing you're talking about AKB0048? The first season averaged a bit under 5,000 copies per release. And, of course, the more important value of the series was to hype the actual singing group. I can't tell how much of a difference that made.

Ikoku Meiro no Croisee was another nice little show from Satelight with more of the excellent artwork by Thomas Romain and company that we see in AKB0048 and other series. Didn't sell very well though.

I've read your comments here and elsewhere over the past few years. I'm guessing you are just unhappy that Satelight isn't producing shows that appeal to your tastes.

Satelight also does a lot of contract work which no doubt helps to pay the bills.

Last edited by yuna49 on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I was actually interested in this silly show for a few seconds (it looks like Macross 7 and AKB0048's bastard child), but I just can't stand Tatsuhisa Suzuki's singing.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I'm guessing you're talking about AKB0048? The first season averaged a bit under 5,000 copies per release. And, of course, the more important value of the series was to hype the actual singing group. I can't tell how much of a difference that made.

Ikoku Meiro no Croisee was another nice little show from Satelight with more of the excellent artwork by Thomas Romain and company that we see in AKB0048 and other series. Didn't sell very well though.

I've read your comments here and elsewhere over the past few years. I'm guessing you are just unhappy that Satelight isn't producing shows that appeal to your tastes.

Satelight also does a lot of contract work which no doubt helps to pay the bills.

Well they do, just they seem to produce them rather shoddily and on the cheap.
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
There's only one show that I watched from Satelight and liked and that's Log Horizon. It was a good show and would've been better if it had budget but I know what to expect from a Satelight show. This looks like a fun to watch. Also the seiyuu list already made this a must watch.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Those are some insanely hot designs. I wish to see Zephyr, and the voice cast is pretty marvelous.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Well they do, just they seem to produce them rather shoddily and on the cheap.

Maybe because that's what those shows are worth to today's otaku audience. I'd like to see more original works like Noein with strong directors and complex stories. Those don't see very well either; see Shin Sekai Yori for evidence.

The tastes of a few thousand young Japanese people, mostly men, drive many (most?) of the decisions made by the anime industry and their fellow-travelers. My tastes don't generally align with that audience, and I don't think yours do either. I just don't find it worth complaining about that fact any more. I just look for the two or three shows each season worth following.

Log Horizon was one such show for me, by the way.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
great, they are multiplying
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
has anyone heard of the people actually making the episode because I cant find any info on any of them. if the people working on something speaks for it's quality I am seriously worried about this things chances of being anything but awful.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
has anyone heard of the people actually making the episode because I can't find any info on any of them. if the people working on something speaks for it's quality I am seriously worried about this things chances of being anything but awful.

But its an event anime, arent they limited by it being just one episode and further, something shown only to people at this event.
mistress_kisara

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
has anyone heard of the people actually making the episode because I can't find any info on any of them. if the people working on something speaks for it's quality I am seriously worried about this things chances of being anything but awful.

But its an event anime, arent they limited by it being just one episode and further, something shown only to people at this event.

Precisely. Its a mere 1or 2 episode special that will air on the event Cool
Izu0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping for a full TV anime with 12 episode but it look more like an OVA
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1