• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Frozen Home Video Tops Spirited Away as Fastest to Sell 2 Million Copies in Japan

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote
Rofl. I know a lot of people that have this deep hatred for Frozen.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:47 am Reply with quote
While I don't hate the movie, I really, really don't get the hype. I'd opt for Spirited Away any day over this.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:07 am Reply with quote
Two million is an absurdly huge figure; Japan's population is barely one-hundred-twenty million and the country has forty-nine million households. That means there was one BR/DVD pack sold for every sixty citizens and twenty-five households (4%).

Wow.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:25 am Reply with quote
Ooh, can we turn this into an angry thread about how "Frozen was objectively bad" or something again? That's always a great deal of fun!
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:30 am Reply with quote
....really? This is just getting out off hand. I don't hate the movie and found it entertaining, however, I find Tangled vastly superior to Frozen. Frozen felt like it was 45 min long. The story and how it was told just seemed to condensed. Tangled had a much longer more memorable story line and moments. I can honestly summarize Frozen with like 3 big events in my head, most of the movie just felt like a filler for the "Let It Go" song scene, Beginning with Anna almost dieing and the ending with Anna AGAIN almost dieing. At least, that is what I got out of it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:10 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Two million is an absurdly huge figure; Japan's population is barely one-hundred-twenty million and the country has forty-nine million households. That means there was one BR/DVD pack sold for every sixty citizens and twenty-five households (4%).

And the percentage spikes when you exclude bitter old Japanese, septua, octo, and nonagenarians who probably don't even own a player and make up a massive chuck of the population.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:26 am Reply with quote
Frozen just keeps raking in the green, and Disney still hasn't said if they're going to make a sequel.
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:33 am Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
Frozen just keeps raking in the green, and Disney still hasn't said if they're going to make a sequel.

Between how no non Pixar sequels have ever been that successful and that they just laid off 20% of DisneyToon studios that usually handles the sequels I doubt it will happen.

Disney's main animation studio have only done 3 sequels after all the Rescuers Down Under, Fantasia 2000 and Winnie the Pooh (2011).
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:45 am Reply with quote
I thought they already hinted at a sequel.

Also, there is a big difference between hating frozen and liking it but not thinking its quite as good as sales would lead you to believe. Then again Avatar and Titanic are the two highest selling films of all time, so yeah.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:05 am Reply with quote
It just makes people happy.

A lot of anime are like that too.
Sparvid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:47 am Reply with quote
According to Box Office Mojo, Japan's 248 million accounts for 28% of the non-US gross for the movie. Distant second and third are South Korea ($76,695,633) and the UK ($65,720,121)
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:55 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It just makes people happy.

A lot of anime are like that too.

I don't have a problem with that, I had a bigger problem with it winning the oscar over Wind Rises, because that is not about making people happy, that should have been an objective decision based on merit.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:38 am Reply with quote
You know, the idea of Frozen outselling the highly overrated Evangelion in Japan just brings me great joy!

I say, screw the haters and by the way, I have already seen The Wind Rises and quite frankly, I personally don't think it is Miyazaki's best film and with the subject matter he's tackling here, of course the film is most likely not going to be for everyone and besides, he's already won his Oscar for his much better film Spirited Away many years ago so it's not like that the Academy doesn't acknowledge him for his other films.

For me, the film does deserve all of the accolades it gets and it seems to me that haters are just jealous and really, any movie that makes more than $1 billion is bound to get a lot of haters and no movie that makes $1 billion won't face its backlash and haters because even something like The Avengers and The Dark Knight faces that too. Frozen is not the first movie to experience this and it won't be the last. As they say, haters gonna hate!

On a more positive note, I can't wait to see the one hour retrospective behind the scenes special on Frozen coming up on September 2 on ABC because of not only the special sneak peaks at the upcoming fourth season of Once Upon a Time with Elsa, Anna, and Kristoff making their official live action debuts and the first look at Disney's big follow up to Frozen that is Big Hero 6, but there will be some special announcements regarding what happens next for our beloved favorite sisters of Arendelle and I can already expect that Disney will green light a sequel because with the huge amount of money the film has made, there's no way it can be ignored and just be left in just only one film! Can't wait wait to see it!
Kutsu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:56 am Reply with quote
With VHS 'Spirited Away' is at over 4 million in home video sales so it still has quite a margin.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:24 am Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:
With VHS 'Spirited Away' is at over 4 million in home video sales so it still has quite a margin.

So, that's over 6 million DVD/VHS copies that has Spirited Away sold? Frozen will have a feat beating that because that's an outstanding figure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3