• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruka Shiraishi, Takaaki Seki Star in Ronja the Robber's Daughter TV Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
I'm still somewhat not used to the CGI animation style yet but I'll be optimistic about the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
Hah, even before reading the bottom part, when I first saw the characters I thought they looked CG.

Quote:
From Up On Poppy Hill English dub producer Geoffrey Wexler's LinkedIn profile lists himself as the English-language dub and subtitle producer for the series, although no Western release or English dub have been officially announced.

I wonder if this will be another Netflix deal.
Banjo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:21 am Reply with quote
I don't mind it when Japanese adapt something non Japanese, but why do they have to change their art style to this nonsense. Twisted Evil
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:29 am Reply with quote
Obviously we'll have to wait for any official translation, but having read the book, "tori-onna" might be better translated as "harpy" than the literal "bird woman," since I'm pretty sure that's what the English translation used. Anyone else remember?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
That old man look like he crazy
lys

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Obviously we'll have to wait for any official translation, but having read the book, "tori-onna" might be better translated as "harpy" than the literal "bird woman," since I'm pretty sure that's what the English translation used. Anyone else remember?

Checked my copy of the book—you are correct, they were called harpies!
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Feels more like I'm looking at some weird Ni no Kuni spinoff than a Ronja adaptation.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Looks interesting but I'm not really that crazy about CG animated films. Well, I do like them but as a separate media. Not as a replacement for 2D. And 2D/3D hybrids look weird when you're supposed to take them seriously as a family feature. I have no problem with it when done right. I like it better in video games.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Quite like the staff on this, and I've liked a good number of the shows writer Hiroyuki Kawasaki has worked on so hopefully he and Goro makes something good with this adaptation, plus obviously we don't get many "Ghibli-like" series like this.

Stark700 wrote:
I'm still somewhat not used to the CGI animation style yet but I'll be optimistic about the series.

Hopefully Polygon Pictures does a good job as I've enjoyed a lot of their work so far like Sidonia, Tron Uprising, and Transformers Prime, but yeah this will certainly be probably the most difficult CG they've done since it's got so much Ghibli in it from the character designs and art style to the background art.

I'm glad they got Ghibli's main character designer to do the designs for this show though, makes me look forward to it more than I expected.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote
What do you think? Will be Studio Ghibli's first anime television series dubbed in Los Angeles by Walt Disney Television Animation?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1