• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - The Tibetan Dog

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xScar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Time for you to learn, Justin. His name is Naoki Urasawa, not Urusawa. You, and others here on ANN, make that mistake in every news article and column that references him. I usually ignore it, but it just continually happens.

I remember seeing trailers when this was coming out/in production, and indeed wrote it off for being a Chinese production. Might take a look at it now since it seems it's a typical Madhouse production that just happens to be Chinese based/funded.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
...it's a very solid family film, and one of the best Japan has produced in the last decade that didn't come from Studio Ghibli.

LOL no. Tibetan Dog was serviceable enough, but the most memorable thing about it is the crackup way the dogs "talk". Even if you ignore the writing issues - of which there are many, but admittedly would only be annoying to adults - it doesn't have the magical glow that surrounds all great family films. I couldn't really see kids of any age picking this as one of their favourite movies.

For really good anime (but non-Ghibli) family films of the past decade there's some really good choices. I'd nominate Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below, Wolf Children, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Fusé: Memoirs of a Huntress, and - if it's okay to pick something not strictly inside the decade - Tokyo Godfathers. There, that's five good ones. Some of them wouldn't be suitable for really young children but kids of ten and up should be fine with adult supervision.
UtenaNicoletta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Kojima also directed Hanada Shounen Shi, which I thought was a fabulous show that's sunk into complete and undeserved obscurity. I reviewed it early this year (I'm Nick Browne from THEM Anime, by the way) and if you ever got your hands on that, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks for covering this; I'd wanted to watch it, and this reminded me that I still need to track it down.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Never knew about this. Thanks for the review Smile
I'm a huge Jungle Taitei fan, animal lover and I'm also fond of Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin and Ginga Densetsu Weed. This sounds up my alley.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
The Tibetan Mastiff is held to be 1 of the original Molosser dogs (the term used for many large livestock guardian, Bully breeds, and Mastiff-type breeds).
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
lmao at the idea of an ancient Tibetan person calling someone a "douche bag" Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Sounds watchable, did anyone ever mux the Chinese BD with the Japanese audio and make real subtitles for it?
pauladls

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
arcanine are youu? Shocked
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:20 am Reply with quote
Hey I remember reading about this when it was in production. I had completely forgotten about it.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:57 am Reply with quote
2011. I'm surprised not to have heard of this film until now.

What is the time frame for this story? My first thought when you said, "kid sent to Tibet" was a flashback to Joan Chen's "Xiu-Xiu the Sent-Down Girl." (Not trying to draw any parallels beyond the setting; just curious if it's set against the same backdrop).
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:08 am Reply with quote
^
It is unclear what the timeframe is. Most of the movie looks like it could be set centuries ago, what with the old-style customs and the very basic tech level. But then you get things like western-style hats, modern-looking buttoned coats, metal scalpels and other medical utensils, and so on. My best guess is that the movie is set in the late nineteenth or very early twentieth century.

Also, the kid travelled to Tibet not because of some government-mandated scheme but rather on his own accord so as to be with his father after his mother died (not a spoiler, we're told this straight away).
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:28 am Reply with quote
I quite liked this movie. It was kinda highlight-less, but a very lovable story overall. I'm quite fond of the setting and have grown quite attached to the Chinese language after watching it twice.

Not a masterpiece, but definitely a good watch.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Sounds watchable, did anyone ever mux the Chinese BD with the Japanese audio and make real subtitles for it?

Yes, though only for a hardsubbed German version, I think.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:47 am Reply with quote
Never heard of this one. Kind of sad that it totally tanked, for whatever reason. It's great to see douche bag made the cut!

And I always cringe a little when people mention The Girl Who Leapt Through Time...but this thread reminded me that I need to get around to checking out Children Who Chase Lost Voices and Wolf Children. Was about to buy Lost Voices yesterday, but had already grabbed the Steins;Gate collected edition, Bakemonogatari, Nekomonogatari:Black and thought that I'd be spending enough money with just those 3 series. Laughing
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:15 am Reply with quote
Being a dog fan, I'd wish they make more stories of a young person and their dog. TMs are gorgeous dogs.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
After seeing a documentary on the people of Tibet (featuring skinny-a$$ Julia Roberts) some years ago, I found myself wanting to see this movie as soon as it was announced. The question was at the time of it's release would anyone consider it good enough to port. I had hoped either the Japan Society or Gkids (NYICFF) would consider screening it. Plus, being a dog lover myself I took the liberty of doing some research on the dog breed.

It seems despite it's usually tropes and short comings that it's a decent film. I'd definitely want to see it. Hell, if someone decided to port it I'd buy it. I like features like this. It seems that even bad features are something folks want to see. I'm also impressed at reading how good a budget they had yet it bombed. I mean MADHOUSE. Sad really.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2