• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghost in the Shell 25th Anniversary Ed. Audio issues

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:02 am Reply with quote
Just got the new GITS BD in yesterday, popped it in for a quick look and noticed some odd issues with the audio. Checking Bluray.com forums and it seems I'm not the only one to have these issues.

from blu-ray.com:
goodjay wrote:
there is a fairly noticeable mistake with the 5.1 mix on here....i have noticed a lot of sounds are missing...the most noticeable example is when Bato shoots the water melon..the final exploding melon is silent..switch back to stereo Japanese language and the sound magically repairs..i have tried this on both my blu ray players region one and two also on ps3 and ps4...you will also notice seconds later the sound from guy thats knocked from his boat into the water also is missing any splash sound..

iamsometal wrote:
I noticed a few other strange audio anomalies. When Togusa and the Major are speaking in the van on the way to pick up the garbage truck hackers, at one point the Major is speaking and camera is on Togusa, yet her dialogue is practically inaudible. It seems like normally the dialogue would be pushed to the rears in that shot but it's barely in any channel at all.

I checked the GITS25 vs my old R1 DVD and the GITS 2.0 BD versions and yea it seems that there are sounds missing or muted in the 5.1 DTS-HD. Also I must say I'm disappointed as there is no on disc extras of any kind. So much for 25th Anniversary, at least UK got a steel case. Also I'm not 100% sure, but I think they might be using different subtitles than my original DVD. I need to recheck that when I get home tonight. Any one else notice these issues?
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:21 am Reply with quote
So it's essentially just a re-release with different cover art, less/no extras, and worse sound? That's pretty lame.

Also, is it the original or the 2.0 version (or did they at least include BOTH versions in this release)?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
So it's essentially just a re-release with different cover art, less/no extras, and worse sound? That's pretty lame.

Also, is it the original or the 2.0 version (or did they at least include BOTH versions in this release)?

Some people who got the UK version are also reporting the same issues.

Its the original version not the 2.0 one which is why I wanted it. I hate the forced 3D CG elements in the 2.0 version. The 2.0 BD version came with the extras of the original DVD and it had the original movie as an extra as well. However, the extra original movie was all washed out and not updated plus the audio was not 5.1. Funny but the 2.0 movie came with both 6.1 DTS and 2.0 PCM english audio but GITS25 only comes with 5.1. Its really barebones which is disappointing.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
I got my copy and I checked the sounds you are discussing. From what I can hear the sounds are there, they are just a lot lower than on the Japanese track.

I found the bit where the Major is talking off screen to be annoying but the others I wouldn't have noticed if not for this thread. This just means I'll be keeping my original DVD version as well as the 2.0 Blu-ray.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
I've noticed on a LOT of newer blu ray releases (not so much on newer DVDs) that off-screen dialogue and action tends to be MUCH lower in volume through standard TV speakers than in the past. Even with a soundbar or theater system, it's still a touch more muffled than on older DVDs/blu rays; where the volume is virtually equal for all dialogue and action through any audio format (unless there's foreground dialogue happening over background action, in which case, the audio is leveled appropriately). I have no idea why it's suddenly happening - especially on releases which tout premium/upgraded sound options.

Is it more 'realistic' sounding? Perhaps. But it's way more of a distraction/annoyance than it is the immersive experience whoever is responsible for it thinks it is.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
I've noticed on a LOT of newer blu ray releases (not so much on newer DVDs) that off-screen dialogue and action tends to be MUCH lower in volume through standard TV speakers than in the past. Even with a soundbar or theater system, it's still a touch more muffled than on older DVDs/blu rays; where the volume is virtually equal for all dialogue and action through any audio format (unless there's foreground dialogue happening over background action, in which case, the audio is leveled appropriately). I have no idea why it's suddenly happening - especially on releases which tout premium/upgraded sound options.

Is it more 'realistic' sounding? Perhaps. But it's way more of a distraction/annoyance than it is the immersive experience whoever is responsible for it thinks it is.

I think it depends on what we mean by realistic. For example, take the scene with the Major talking with Togusa in the van. On my old DVD her voice is coming out of the right channel which is actually realistic since she's offscreen and to the right of our point of view. However, her voice is perfectly clear. She is not after all 30 feet away from our point of view or from Togusa. She's sitting right behind him. On my 2.0 BD its as you said the dialogue from both seems to be coming from both front channels not directional like the DVD. Its also a little bit muffled for both the Major and Togusa, but not so pronounced. Meanwhile in the new GITS25 her voice is so low that she might as well be 30 feet away and that's not realistic.

Some people on Fandom Post forums have also noticed the issue:
Sensuifu wrote:
I decided to check it out, and yes, the English audio track is basically trash. I did A-B comps between the old Manga DVD and there's no comparison; the BD is missing A LOT of sfx. For example, at 20m:26s, "Oh Shit!" is heard loud and clear on the DVD, but on the BD, it's completely missing. The sfx in general are attenuated to the point you can barely hear them, as exampled in this same scene with the tractor pulling the watermelons. The tractor is barely audible, but on the DVD you can actually hear it. The examples in the bluray.com forum are also spot on- Gone is the splash when the guy falls into the water, and no third watermelon explosion sfx either.

I don't know if this is on all discs or if its a select batch. I would expect the uproar to be larger if it was on all discs. I'll be seeing if I can return this disc and then I'll wait a year before picking it up again. Maybe they will fix it for a second run or maybe not.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
This isn't something that could only affect certain discs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:53 am Reply with quote
The reports in that thread about the subtitles being a travesty of the English language is a far greater screw up than a handful of foley effects missing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1