• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Sound of μic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that room is ready for a fun game of I Spy.
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
The layout of that room is fantastic. I love the floating shelves. But the best part is the huge glass case for the figures - so jealous.
ThisJustThis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Amazing room! I'm concerned about the proximity of your lamp(s) to your figs, though. I've had a ~60W lamp melt something with "precious resin" with exposure over time. I've also been paranoid about color fading with UV exposure and such, but have not had any major issues with that.

What kind of glass cases are those? Do they seal completely or are there cracks at the edges?
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
The owner is more than welcome to correct me, but I'm near positive that those are Ikea Detolf cases. They don't have an airtight seal, there are gaps at the edges of the doors. But, they do do a good job of keeping the dust out regardless. I have several cases full of figures and over the years I haven't noticed any real appreciable accumulation of dust.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In general, I don't love anime movie adaptations. Often, I find that no matter how hard the studio tries, and no matter how elegantly the director wields the editing knife, things just get lost along the way.

Agreed, which is why the only compilation movies I find worth the effort are the Gundam 0079 Trilogy, because each film is sufficiently long enough and most of the show was unimportant fluff that wasn't directly tied to the main plot or the growth of Amuro or Char. All of the key points were hit and all of the truly important scenes are included, making them almost a better product than the full show. Otherwise, I typically find compilations to be rushed and only comprehensible if you've fully seen the show in question beforehand, like with TTGL. If you want to condense a long series into a single movie, go instead for re-imagining by writing a new script that's using all new animation. Funny how only Macross tends to make this process work out for the best.

The new scenes in the TTGL made them worth checking out, but on a re-watch they'd probably the only things to go back for.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that room is freaking amazing, but I think the way it's organized is even more so! My stuff would never be that meticulously arranged, except to keep my manga in order. Anime hyper (Love your taste in non-manga books, by the way!)
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I was gonna send in a few pics of my few shelves but now I don't really want to anymore lol Shocked
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Without Kamina, there would be no series, and certainly no post-time-skip events.
At this point Kamina is a simple plot device to send Simon on his quest for the heavens. He was nothing more than a gaki before ever sticking his neck out.
ThisJustThis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Seeing how the figures are arranged, I'm curious what people do with the empty boxes?
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Man, massive collection and great room set up. I'm jealous. Laughing

Ambimunch wrote:
I was gonna send in a few pics of my few shelves but now I don't really want to anymore lol Shocked

Laughing Just do it. My collection of anime/manga is small and I sent it in awhile back.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Shocked That collection is incredible. I absolutely adore the layout of the whole thing. The floating shelves are beautiful, as is the glass figure case. I would love to spend a few hours(or days) in there looking through everything. I promise I won't damage any of it!
Someday... someday, I will have a dream set up like that. Very Happy
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I can feel the powerlevels radiating from that room. Applause.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Quote:
Without Kamina, there would be no series, and certainly no post-time-skip events.
At this point Kamina is a simple plot device to send Simon on his quest for the heavens. He was nothing more than a gaki before ever sticking his neck out.

some would say the same for Nia too. luckily the author made her more than a gaki skit and more of a center figgure in the series along with yoko. though the TV series ending for season 2 really ruined it for me, and if the ending is the same thing as the TV series and not completely different then its an auto perishable since all you will be watching is just a squished up version of the TV series with nothing new on the table.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rainwithsunshine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
That room is incredible. . . such a place actually exists? All of your hard work at organizing and collecting is so glorious. Shocked *faints*
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
ThisJustThis wrote:
Seeing how the figures are arranged, I'm curious what people do with the empty boxes?
We usuall store them in closets. That is what I do with mine Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3