• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Steins;Gate IBM Short Streamed with English Subtitles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
That was fun. Always great to revisit these characters.

Should watch Steins;Gate again. Laughing
Seif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:06 am Reply with quote
If I never see another god damned bad cooking gag it'll be too soon.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
If I never see another god damned bad cooking gag it'll be too soon.

Thanks to Oopa that entire mess was avoided. I really expected another bad cooking gag but i was surprised.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
The writers really did their research into the John Titor mythology for Steins;Gate. The divergence factor for world lines came from Titor as far as I know, as well as having family members in the present/past, which is the inspiration for Suzuha. But as far as how it relates to IBM, there is this old article from Rochester Magazine that gives credence to at least one of Titor's claims, a few years later:
https://web.archive.org/web/20040925140802/http://www.postbulletin.com/magazine/2004/08/index.shtml

Quote:
According to Bob Dubke, the second engineer on IBM's 5100 team in Rochester (who now co-owns a locally-based company called eXport Ventures Corp. and also works for Edina Realty), that secret function was his contribution to the design of the computer. The function, which IBM suppressed because of worries about how their competition might use it, was an interface between the assembly code surrounding the computer's ROM exterior, and the 360 emulator hidden beneath it. (IBM declined to comment for this story.) The 5100's emulator gave programmers access to the functions of the monstrous, and much less portable machines, that IBM had produced during the 1960s. An imprint of a hook on the outside of the 5100 symbolized the ability of Dubke's interface to drop into what Titor called "legacy code," and scoop out any necessary operating instructions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1