• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: World Trigger

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veniamin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
I might sound poorly informative, but I dropped the series once I saw the Neighbors in CG while they literally rendered 2D in a still illustration evoking their apparent sense of danger.

It's pretty how I felt when I saw the Sailor Senshi transforrm in CG while everything else is just 2D.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote

Does anyone else hate that stupid face as much as I do?
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:

Does anyone else hate that stupid face as much as I do?

Those dumb faces they kept making was the reason I had to stop watching half way through episode 2. They just annoy me to no end.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow, how to explain these things.

I checked this show out curious about:

Quote:
The first five minutes of the series' first episode - usually the best animated of the bunch - was literally a slideshow with shaking effects.

Combined with a change in art style and coloring effects, no means signifying a storybook approach. No, I agree, it's totally cheap and in no way an artistic attempt at conveying..

Why am I even bothering?
Jajanken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy the manga a lot but this adaptation is pretty bad. CG effects are crud, in the manga koga's face is less used but here they went all out, mikado's development was better in the manga FOR SURE and fight scenes so far were just poor. I'm really hoping it gets good in apprx 6 episodes.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
=3= is his normal face..
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:
=3= is his normal face..

A face only a mother could love.
terminus24

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm assuming the entire animation budget for this series went to Sailor Moon Crystal instead, that's how they were able to get Artemis to look more like a cat than Luna.

This show is easily one of the biggest disappointments for me in a while, World Trigger is usually a fun read whenever I open Weekly Shonen Jump every week, but the fact that the adaptation is simply incompetent, instead of the usual mediocre or bad for adaptations of some other series I like, kinda makes me just want to drop this, which is something I just don't do.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Poor Yuki Kaji, his characters keep spoiler[loosing arms]
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:45 am Reply with quote
So wait a minute and let me get this straight. You people actually dropped a show with a superb story because the art style of the show isn't on par with other animated shows? So you're watching shows just for its looks instead of its actual contents? You might as well go ahead and watch Glasslip then, that shit has REALLY GOOD animation but the story was hand down shit.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:39 am Reply with quote
Animelover12313 wrote:
So wait a minute and let me get this straight. You people actually dropped a show with a superb story because the art style of the show isn't on par with other animated shows? So you're watching shows just for its looks instead of its actual contents? You might as well go ahead and watch Glasslip then, that shit has REALLY GOOD animation but the story was hand down shit.

Bzzt, wrong! These people dropped the show because the art was so incompetently done, it was distracting them from the story.

Sub-par animation is one thing; Log Horizon has barely serviceable animation, but the strengths of the story and worldbuilding make up for it.

This show? This was Toei practically begging for more time and money. That they didn't have.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bzzt, wrong! These people dropped the show because the art was so incompetently done
Bzzt, stop right there! All I can really get from this was because the art wasn't good is what you're saying. Please explain how the art style of an anime can distract you from its story. And here you're saying Log Horizon has a strong story and world building and you're trying to claim that World Trigger doesn't? And regarding about Toei, this is basically their animation style. Have you seen most of their shows like One Piece? Toriko? Majin Bone? All animation company has some uniqueness in their animation style and this is just as good as any Toei animation style.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLover, I think you might be taking this a weeeeee bit too personally. Whiskeyii's point was that Log Horizon's visuals were never great, but they were at least competent enough to effectively convey the story, while World Trigger's art and animation is bad to the point where it kneecaps the story it's trying to tell.

A fight scene just doesn't have the effect it's meant to if the movement is stilted or weightless, and a serious dramatic beat just won't work as well if the image used to convey it is poorly drawn. It's like how 2 novels can describe the same imagery, but the effect is different depending on what words are used to convey it. It doesn't mean the story is bad (though having read the manga up to current publication, I have more than a few quibbles with the writing in these early chapters) but that the adaptive team (here being the animators) just are not up to snuff on conveying that story properly.

As for the "house style" thing, I'm not sure where you're getting that one. Toei comprises a ton of different animation sub-studios and teams, often switching regularly between projects depending one what they have on their plate. They don't have a singular director or artistic team that dictate everything has to look a certain way - the off model nature of a lot of their shows is by virtue of them being a workmanlike company with a ton of ongoing projects all stacked atop one another, and trying to call obviously cut-rate animation a stylistic choice just seems disingenuous.
ichii_1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Bunch of ***** that don't know the difference between animation and art style Sad
Well, not like I except people like you to understand anyway.

If you didn't notice the improvement in quality this episode, you should get your head checked.

The backgrounds are realy well done, the art style got a bit shaper and more detailed and the animation is smoother too "claps" well done

Kitora Ai aka The Badass Tsundere Wink

leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:22 am Reply with quote
Was that supposed to be Ai in the Episode 4 review image? Because if so, that is unforgivably off-model.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5