• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seiji Kishi, 3rd Madoka Magica Film, Love Live! Win Anime Kobe Awards

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:22 am Reply with quote
Congratulations to Angela, wished I could have seen them this year.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Individual Award
Seiji Kishi (director)

Really..?
So what work has he done in previous year that could deserve this award?
Devil Survivor 2 should I even comment about how terrible this adaptation was?
Aura: Maryuuinkouga Saigo no Tatakai it's decent but only thanks to the original material, still doesn't live up to it:
Quote:
movie feels like it's just a collection of scenes and kind of fails to get the original's message across in many places.

Danganronpa another failure as an adaptation, characters weren't developed at all (and I couldn't finish it because of this)
Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio haven't seen this but some people are praising this and it even got quite good sales even though it's fully in 3D but yet again from what I've read from those who are familiar with the original work it's failed to adapt it properly.
Persona 3 the Movie haven't seen this yet (and actually not planning to) but from what I've read from those who have played the original game it's just another one of his soulless adaptations.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:18 am Reply with quote
Chipp12 wrote:
Quote:
Individual Award
Seiji Kishi (director)

Really..?
So what work has he done in previous year that could deserve this award?
Devil Survivor 2 should I even comment about how terrible this adaptation was?
Aura: Maryuuinkouga Saigo no Tatakai it's decent but only thanks to the original material, still doesn't live up to it:
Quote:
movie feels like it's just a collection of scenes and kind of fails to get the original's message across in many places.

Danganronpa another failure as an adaptation, characters weren't developed at all (and I couldn't finish it because of this)
Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio haven't seen this but some people are praising this and it even got quite good sales even though it's fully in 3D but yet again from what I've read from those who are familiar with the original work it's failed to adapt it properly.
Persona 3 the Movie haven't seen this yet (and actually not planning to) but from what I've read from those who have played the original game it's just another one of his soulless adaptations.

I really have enjoyed both Persona 3 films that have come out so far. I cried so bad during the second one. They were done really well.
Karlz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:50 am Reply with quote
I kinda stop paying attention to this award in 2012 when YuriYuri won as best TV anime. It's not a bad show, but is far from being the best that year, in any aspect.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:23 am Reply with quote
azips wrote:
I kinda stop paying attention to this award in 2012 when YuriYuri won as best TV anime. It's not a bad show, but is far from being the best that year, in any aspect.

Cool opinion there, bro.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
Congrats to all the winners. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
Chipp12 wrote:

Really..?
So what work has he done in previous year that could deserve this award?.....

According to the article this is one of their more prestigious awards, and not some fan popularity thing. So perhaps the Japanese have a different thinking on the matter.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
all awards are voted by people. Yes, even Oscar.
Not sure why people mad about who won what. your have your opinions, they have their opinions.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote
Honestly I wasn't really satisfied with the winners from the last two years. K-ON The Movie winning best movie in its year made me happy but Yuruyuri winning anything really made me question the panel's taste in comedy and anime in general. Wolf Children was fantastic but SAO, despite the fact that I do enjoy the series, was probably not what I'd call the best show of its year.

That being said, I think that both Love Live and Madoka Rebellion absolutely deserved to win this time around. To be perfectly honest I don't think I could pick anything that deserves the award more than them.

Congratulations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDajqW561KM

Last edited by SquadmemberRitsu on Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:02 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
all awards are voted by people. Yes, even Oscar.
Not sure why people mad about who won what. your have your opinions, they have their opinions.

"The 19th Annual Animation Kobe event will hold an awards ceremony on December 7 in the city of Kobe in western Japan. The judging committee is composed of experts in the industry — notably the editors of animation and media magazines such as Animage, Newtype and Weekly ASCII."

As a industry awards show, this is not based on the votes of fans, but members of the animation industry. Like Spotlesseden has said, the industry experts will have different opinions and criteria than fans and critics. It is just like the Oscars, in that regard.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:18 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
I really have enjoyed both Persona 3 films that have come out so far. I cried so bad during the second one. They were done really well.

Here's one of the reviews for the 1st movie. Dunno, maybe the 2nd got better since they've changed the director or someone else (definitely not Kishi though).
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
This is the industry money maker one I believe (the Japan Media Arts one is for artistic merit if I recall) so yeah these picks kind of make sense...except for Seiji Kishi. What did he do that made the industry any sort of money this year. Like Love Live (TV anime sales record breaker) and Madoka (late night anime based movie sales record breaker), Angela (really popular theme song for a surprise mecha series hit in Sidonia) even Kyoto Animation I get since they can't double down on Shaft or Sunrise for the special award in this case but Seiji Kishi? I don't remember him having any big money makers like a Persona....unless it was Arpeggio of Blue Steel which was sort of a surprise otaku hit. Maybe it's for sheer proflicness since he did a ton of work recently? When I can't specifically pinpoint a bullshit industry reason for giving someone one of these awards clearly something must have gone kind of wrong in the process.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
azips wrote:

They can have different opinions, you know.

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
This is the industry money maker one I believe (the Japan Media Arts one is for artistic merit if I recall) so yeah these picks kind of make sense...except for Seiji Kishi. What did he do that made the industry any sort of money this year. Like Love Live (TV anime sales record breaker) and Madoka (late night anime based movie sales record breaker), Angela (really popular theme song for a surprise mecha series hit in Sidonia) even Kyoto Animation I get since they can't double down on Shaft or Sunrise for the special award in this case but Seiji Kishi? I don't remember him having any big money makers like a Persona....unless it was Arpeggio of Blue Steel which was sort of a surprise otaku hit. Maybe it's for sheer proflicness since he did a ton of work recently? When I can't specifically pinpoint a bullshit industry reason for giving someone one of these awards clearly something must have gone kind of wrong in the process.

Love live did not break any sales records, just a fyi(unless its just about sales records in the 2000-era)

Last edited by Rederoin on Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that Seiji Kishi won because of Arpeggio.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Sidonia" by Angela

YES I approve. Sidonia ftw
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2