• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - True Blue

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised to see no Elsas at all. (Or Annas for that matter.) Of the 81 trick-or-treaters who came to our house, I'd say about 90% of them were either not dressed in costumes at all or were dressed as generics.

Most of the teenagers and adults never even bothered. It's as if this year, and just this one, Halloween caught this entire area by surprise or something. And the kids would have costumes of generic witches, generic vampires, generic ninja, generic fairies, etc. Of the uniques, there were a few Ninja Turtles (three, I think, none of them with the masks or plastic weapons and hence completely unidentifiable), a Tinkerbell, a Spider-Man, two Minnie Mouses, a Jason Voorhees, a Scream guy, and a toddler in a Winnie the Pooh onesie. Then, at about 9 PM, it started raining, ending the several-months-long rainless streak, and Halloween ended all of a sudden.

I'm going to guess that costumes of licensed characters are more expensive or something, and people didn't feel like buying them.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
terraformar's beheading went from being a brutal way to die in the first volume, to a running joke in volume 3.
srlracing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Arpeggio of Blue Steel is the first manga I've bought in over a decade since I fell in love with the anime despite its naval setting since it gave me that gave a great Space Opera feel. Internet people moaned about the differences between the manga and anime but thank goodness they made those changes, there is far too much going on in the manga to cover effectively in an anime.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Arpeggio Of blue Steel Was the first Manga i ever bought. I like the Sci Fi Naval Setting. it is something a bit more unique than you see in other series. I found out about it because of the Anime and despite it deviating from the manga it did a good job in doing it.

Especially considering that most anime series which deviate from the manga usually end up as a disaster.

At this point there is still no good point where they can adapt the manga story into the anime because there are so many different plot points going on for multiple characters at the same time and there is no real way they can adapt it all without problems from occurring.

However With the anime having its own story. it is a good way to keep the interest alive and with the 2 new movies coming out, the interest should still remain especially cause this series turned out to be the Dark horse series in Japan last fall.

Until the manga story reaches a point where they can adapt it properly. they can continue with the new canon of the anime. I know the first movie is a recap with some new footage most likely to tie up to the second movie. the real focus is on the second movie as wh to say what it can be about?

Bottom Line: For those who still have not decided not to read this or watch the series i recommend u get started on both. The Anime on its own is still a good story and the Manga Story is even more great espcially for those who like Sci-fi, Naval, Future tech, A.I, Warfare and Tech Girl genre's.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
A new Bride's Story is always such a treat, although I have to say that I think I like Smith's journey a bit more than Amir's story. I enjoy the different people he meets (the twin's wedding in book 5 was such a pleasure) and all the issues he has traveling in the 1800's near East. Mori's art is spectacular no matter what, though. She really can tell us all about a character with just a facial expression, and her backgrounds are the closest things us normal people will ever have to a time machine! Reading her books is like being a Companion as Doctor Mori transports you in time and space. (A bit much? Maybe, but her art deserves all the praise!)

Blue Exorcist is my favorite thing about my Viz Shonen Jump subscription, and just about the only thing I read regularly. Kato is very good at making interesting characters who are more than their shonen stereotype templates. Shiemi stands out as the "moe" girl who is much stronger willed and capable than she seems at first glance, but Izumi also proves herself to be deeper and more interesting than the average tsundere. I'm a bit concerned over the latest developments with spoiler[Shima, but I trust the author to do something interesting with it.].

Da! Da! Da! sounds like a lot of fun! Too bad it's not available in English.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Da! Da! Da! sounds like a lot of fun! Too bad it's not available in English.

There's always the anime probably fansubbed somewhere. It does have a dub, but...ugh, either Odex and Animax voice acting doesn't give you much of a choice of quality in English.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Didn't know it had an anime, thanks. Maybe I'll look that up
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Didn't know it had an anime, thanks. Maybe I'll look that up

The anime's English title is UFO Baby. The Animax dub was one of their better ones, more or less in the same ball park as the Cardcaptor Sakura dub.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
does Hazuki not know how waists work?

That question entered my mind while reading Say I Love You volume 4. Really enjoyed vol 4, would have to say it is probably the best volume I've read of the series.

I've been interested in Blue Exorcist, but don't know if I really want to jump in. I've not touched the manga or anime for it. Maybe I'll wait until the end is in sight, then jump on. Laughing

On A Bride's Story, is it really one volume a year for that series? Just looked on wiki, and it seems to be the case. Along with YenPress already having caught up to the Japanese release? May have found another series that, while I'm interested, I'll just wait until it's nearing completion. Not sure I'd really be able to appreciate the story when, due to the almost yearly release schedule, I'd end up forgetting what came before...and it'd definitely end up slipping off my radar.

And, as much as I really enjoyed the Aria the Scarlet Ammo anime, I won't be checking out the novel...unless it sees print. Cool
kanechin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:49 am Reply with quote
read Aria and lose brain cells or eat tons of candy....hmmmm.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:15 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I'm going to guess that costumes of licensed characters are more expensive or something, and people didn't feel like buying them.

That might be right. I saw a Maddie Hatter from Ever After High, but it was (awesomely) homemade rather than the licensed costume.

Ali07 wrote:
Really enjoyed vol 4, would have to say it is probably the best volume I've read of the series.

Totally with you there. It feels much more honest than a lot of shoujo romances, possibly because it's from "Dessert" and not "Margaret" or "Betsu-Comi." I'm looking forward to it going beyond where the anime stopped.

I think Yen Press has caught up with A Bride's Story, and I can't blame you for waiting. On the plus side, if you forget what's going on, you get to look at Mori's exquisite illustrations again when you re-read it, so... Laughing

Quote:
And, as much as I really enjoyed the Aria the Scarlet Ammo anime, I won't be checking out the novel...unless it sees print.

That's my feeling on the rest of the series. I enjoyed it, but I really don't enjoy e-reading if I can help it. I do hope it sees a print release, though.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:11 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I think Yen Press has caught up with A Bride's Story, and I can't blame you for waiting. On the plus side, if you forget what's going on, you get to look at Mori's exquisite illustrations again when you re-read it, so... Laughing

Yes, getting to look at the art and hearing about the detail that Mori puts into her manga is why I want to get into the series. Though, I just feel like the series might lose a bit of its lustre, to me, due to coming out once a year.

I blame this partially on my consumption of comic books. Getting a monthly 'hit' has me accustomed to being able to consume some stories at a quicker pace.

But, I will be getting the upcoming omnibus releases of Emma...so I'll just stick to that completed Mori series. Very Happy

Princess_Irene wrote:
I enjoyed it, but I really don't enjoy e-reading if I can help it. I do hope it sees a print release, though.

While I can't say I'm against digital in any way, shape or form, it is a form of media that I don't enjoy when it comes to reading. I do get anime digitally through streaming, but I consider that more as a 'try before you buy' deal for me.

I'll buy what I think is worth re-watching, and everything else just slips from my mind. And, they're series I won't be going back to. So if they get taken down by the streaming company, no big deal.

On manga/novels/comics, I'll get what I'm interested in if it sees print. There are manga that I really want to read (like Ichigo Takano's orange) that are only available digitally...but I won't be reading the series unless it sees print (orange is one I REALLY want to read, but digital kills the experience for me).

Sadly, I think I'll be consuming less and less as more and more things see digital only releases. For my sake, I hope print dies off after I do. Laughing
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Most of the teenagers and adults never even bothered. It's as if this year, and just this one, Halloween caught this entire area by surprise or something. And the kids would have costumes of generic witches, generic vampires, generic ninja, generic fairies, etc. Of the uniques, there were a few Ninja Turtles (three, I think, none of them with the masks or plastic weapons and hence completely unidentifiable), a Tinkerbell, a Spider-Man, two Minnie Mouses, a Jason Voorhees, a Scream guy, and a toddler in a Winnie the Pooh onesie. Then, at about 9 PM, it started raining, ending the several-months-long rainless streak, and Halloween ended all of a sudden.

Shocked That was eerily exactly how Halloween was in my neighborhood. There were Power Rangers though, and a lot of people came, but they started arriving en masse at around 6 but by 9 it was silent and raining.

I really need to start collecting Arpeggio. It is one of the few manga series I've been interested in collecting in almost 7 years (Strike Witches and Girls und Panzer being the others). I like the anime, and what I've read from the manga so far is good (although I have mixed feelings on the art. The characters can look sloppy, especially compared to the anime).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
kanechin wrote:
read Aria and lose brain cells or eat tons of candy....hmmmm.

I read it and did not lose any brain cells, thank you. :p
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:53 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
A new Bride's Story is always such a treat, although I have to say that I think I like Smith's journey a bit more than Amir's story. I enjoy the different people he meets (the twin's wedding in book 5 was such a pleasure) and all the issues he has traveling in the 1800's near East. Mori's art is spectacular no matter what, though. She really can tell us all about a character with just a facial expression, and her backgrounds are the closest things us normal people will ever have to a time machine! Reading her books is like being a Companion as Doctor Mori transports you in time and space. (A bit much? Maybe, but her art deserves all the praise!)

True, her art is beautiful. But that same gorgeous art is why a possible anime adaptation would be unfortunate (even though I would still see it...). I remember being disappointed in the art watching Fushigi Yugi, having read the original manga previously. With A Bride's Story, that, many many times that...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1