• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sekai Project's Clannad Crowdfunding Campaign Meets Goal

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:01 am Reply with quote
less the 14 not 24
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:06 am Reply with quote
Nice! It's good to see fans getting behind this. Personally have no interest in VNs, but I did like the anime.

And it's funny to see this news item pop up, as I'm currently contemplating buying Clannad and Afterstory for about $50 due to Rightstuf's sale. Laughing
4nBlue

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:35 am Reply with quote
They better start implementing some stretch goals.
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:48 am Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
They better start implementing some stretch goals.

After they hit 100k they said they would talk to Key about it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
Why no dub? Just curious. It would increase the potential audience significantly, and they might be able to crowdfund one at this point.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Why no dub? Just curious. It would increase the potential audience significantly, and they might be able to crowdfund one at this point.

From what I heard, the massive word-count and cost involving translating the novel may be the reason for that...
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:11 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

A lot of visual novel that get released in the US never use English dub from what I've seen. So this wouldn't make any difference.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

The overwhelming support suggests that there doesn't need to be one. We're perfectly fine with the original Japanese cast Smile

Besides, it's just not feasible to begin with. There is SO much dialogue. And would fans really be content with an English dub without Luci Christian and co.?
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
What everyone said. An English dub would be unheard of and not needed. Took me around 80 hours to complete. I can't imagine how much extra time this would take and how much more money they would need. Plus, it's fine the way it is.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
What everyone said. An English dub would be unheard of and not needed. Took me around 80 hours to complete. I can't imagine how much extra time this would take and how much more money they would need. Plus, it's fine the way it is.

Not to mention it would require doubling the number of discs in each physical set (or switching to bluray for the release I suppose?).

A double layered DVD can only hold about 17 hours of CD quality audio.
For it to hold ~80 hours of audio would mean a bitrate of ~220 Kb/s, like mediocre quality just with one track.
Including an entire extra track would either force them to compress the audio on both tracks to unacceptable levels of quality or to include a second disc, upping the package manufacture costs, too.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote
Well... I'll be adding to that total later on.
Fred the Barber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
They sent a project update overnight indicating they're in talks to set up an interesting stretch goal: picking up the HD assets from the PS3 port. Seems like they just started talks with a few parties, so they don't have any idea how much extra it'll cost them yet (or probably even whether they can do it, although them talking about it at all is a good sign).
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

A dub costs a lot of money. It would probably cost way more to dub this then the translation costs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheMorry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! Psychial release? On a DVD for a pc? Or for the ps vita?

Im sad that we wont get the English voice overs Sad.
HylianPanda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Who knows we could get a dub as a ridiculous stretch goal. The game is gonna be on steam so theoretically they could release a dub after the game is released as an update. No extra disc necessary. Also an english dub for a visual novel would be far cheaper than people seem to realize. It's like dubbing an audio book only far less words.

I just hope the stretch goals are worth making it to. There isn't much they could do as far as extra content.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2