• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Colorful

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navycherub

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Yes, too reliant on dialogue is definitely the biggest detractor from an otherwise fine movie. Subjects like the ones tackled in this story could do with utilizing the medium more, using the visuals and sound to convey emotions so they can be felt more strongly. I also have found the bit where the main character and his friend look at and talk about trains for a while to be tiresome every time I watch. Seems like quite a departure from the rest of the narrative.

Last edited by navycherub on Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Wait, how is this in the pile of shame? I know for a fact that Justic watched it a long time ago. Heck, he watched it fansubbed cause he didn't think the R1 was ever going to release it.

Anyway, not the best of movies for those unfamiliar with the Japanese family. Many will be left confused by some of the scenes in the movie.
The plot twist at the end was actually very poor since it was telegraphed since the first third of the movie. It's a very artistic movie, but not an entertaining one, in the average sense of the word.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it quite moved me as much as it did for other people. But it's still an excellent movie and I'm really glad I watched it.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't finish it. When it started going on about trains for ten minutes I just couldn't hang on any more.

Last edited by Fronzel on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like an Oscar bait kind of story (which is not necessarily a bad thing). Because it's an anime movie, it gets no respect overseas. But make a one-to-one live action version of this in Hollywood, and it'll get nominated for awards left and right.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
I couldn't finish it. When it started going on about trains for ten minutes I just couldn't hang on any more.

Yeah, I almost turned it off as well at that point. It was amazingly boring. Lucky for us, it was New Year's, and we passed the time going to the bathroom, one at a time. Nobody wanted to be the little pussy that said "This sucks, let's watch something else.".
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Was my pick for the top anime movie released in the States last year, and pretty much for the reasons Justin stated. The only thing I'd disagree on is that I would extend the lauding of the mother's performance to the English dub as well; I thought Carli Moser's performance was a stand-out in a dub that I will otherwise agree was mediocre.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Clearly this film is not for everyone, you probably did have to have a somewhat troubled childhood to "get it" and more power to you if your childhood was sunshine and happiness. As for me, I loved every moment of it.
Renshenzu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
Clearly this film is not for everyone, you probably did have to have a somewhat troubled childhood to "get it" and more power to you if your childhood was sunshine and happiness. As for me, I loved every moment of it.

Couldn't agree more, it's one of my favorite anime films from recent years.
katscradle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I love this film. It's beautiful and gentle and I think can importantly speak to people, though it probably takes some patience to watch. How things end up might still be a little too quick or perfect for people who have experienced depression in real life, but I still loved it. I had to put in extra effort to order and buy Sentai's Blu-ray when it came out ironically too. Still, a great movie to have available in English.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, for me the premise ran on some rather nonsensical ground and there were certain points where Makoto was just a flat out manipulative ass and I couldn't get behind him. Like when he was scolding his mother and then just up and asks her to buy him new shoes to show off, and then it just cuts to him having them without much discussion or anything. I also feel the pacing is wildly uneven (the autobus talk) and subplots just kind of drop in and out of focus without much cohesion and--to my recollection--not much closure often times. I think I noted that his character regression felt kind of forced and just flew over me, but it's not too vivid right now. It's been a few years since I've seen the film, so my complaints aren't all apparent, but I really wanted to like the film with its finer emotional and artistic nuances, but a lot of it just really irked me. Honestly I thought the dub was serviceable though (if I recall), but seeing how I hadn't watched the Japanese version to compare, it might've been far weaker. I did note that glaring flaw on the Sentai Blu-Ray, it was just sad.

Quote:
I'm really quite grateful that more recent Sentai discs are a better, but I really wish they'd go back and re-author some of their more problematic discs. This one was bad enough to really annoy me.

I still haven't picked up Mawaru Penguindrum because I've wanted this to happen. I've heard there is a wealth of problems on the sets and that it was an atrocious final product, but I'm still itching to own the series and see it on Blu-Ray. I really hope Sentai goes back to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chronoclast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I really liked Colorful. I didn't hate the dub but it wasn't great. IMO it's better seen in Japanese.

I was very disappointed with Sentai's BD though. It's not just that scene where it completely craps out but all throughout the film the compression is crummy with slight artifacting. I really wish Sentai would re-author it. I bugged them last year about doing replacements but nothing came of it. Not enough people complained I guess.
chronoclast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
Quote:
I'm really quite grateful that more recent Sentai discs are a better, but I really wish they'd go back and re-author some of their more problematic discs. This one was bad enough to really annoy me.

I still haven't picked up Mawaru Penguindrum because I've wanted this to happen. I've heard there is a wealth of problems on the sets and that it was an atrocious final product, but I'm still itching to own the series and see it on Blu-Ray. I really hope Sentai goes back to it.

Sentai did a string of poorly compressed interlaced BDs last year that Penguindrum was part of. They've been re-authoring those shows to 1080p for the complete collection re-releases. So far it's been Bodacious Space Pirates and Fate/Stay Night that have been re-authored. I haven't seen any solid proof yet like screenshots that show they're fixed though.

Penguindrum is due for a complete collection re-release soon so wait for that.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
PoS... Is this a misplaced article today? Colorful might not be a crowd pleaser but I can't help but feel but argue. At the very least, I know there's an awful lot who like this movie...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
PoS... Is this a misplaced article today? Colorful might not be a crowd pleaser but I can't help but feel but argue. At the very least, I know there's an awful lot who like this movie...

Justin loves the film. He says so in the article. Did you read it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3