• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Diana Garnet Sings Naruto Anime's New Ending Theme

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:29 am Reply with quote
I would have preferred Lorde. YAYAYA!
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:19 am Reply with quote
Hmm, she's pretty cute. Wink I'll have to listen to this ending theme though and see how good her vocals are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sylontack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:14 am Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
Hmm, she's pretty cute. Wink I'll have to listen to this ending theme though and see how good her vocals are.

She's got a single and album out already, I have both- she's very good.
I'm hoping this brings her out of obscurity and makes her a little more mainstream in J-Pop so we get more of her music!
bacondreamer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote
Further proof that her voice is amazing..

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2a8axt_ダイアナ-ガーネット-春-spring-のどじまんザ-ワールド2013春-diana-garnet_music

Video from when she won Notojiman the World last year.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
Well good luck to her.

Sylontack wrote:

I'm hoping this brings her out of obscurity and makes her a little more mainstream in J-Pop so we get more of her music!

I don't know if that'll happen, a lot of J-pop singers don't do concert outside of Asia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
This is the envy of many American (and other foreign) anime fans since it doesn't happen a lot that to get this privilege! Good luck to you!

On her Facebook page, it's mostly in Japanese. I'd think that her being an American would mean she'd also do an English page.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
Good for her! This must be so exciting! I kinda hope she sings in English, though. It's always a joy to hear English lyrics in anime songs sung properly (in both pronunciation and syntax).
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:09 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

On her Facebook page, it's mostly in Japanese. I'd think that her being an American would mean she'd also do an English page.

Well that would depend if her agency will allow her to do that.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Good for her! This must be so exciting! I kinda hope she sings in English, though. It's always a joy to hear English lyrics in anime songs sung properly (in both pronunciation and syntax).

Ms. Garnet only sings in Japanese, though she does pronounce English words in songs correctly. :3
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Weekly Shonen Jump describes Garnet as a "super cute 100% American" and an otaku who loves Japanese manga, anime, history and culture.

I'm sorry, but these two words are completely contradictory. No offense to American otakus.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Amara Tenoh wrote:
Quote:
Weekly Shonen Jump describes Garnet as a "super cute 100% American" and an otaku who loves Japanese manga, anime, history and culture.

I'm sorry, but these two words are completely contradictory. No offense to American otakus.

Oh no, it's possible to be hot and a otaku, Megan Fox is an example of it, she said in a interview on Seventeen that she watched Cowboy Bebop and Inuyasha, she also loved Sailor Moon too. She's a bit geekier by saying she love the K-pop idol, Bi Rain. So you can be cute (or hot) and be geeky at the same time too, if Megan Fox can do that, then so can Diana Garnet.
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Amara Tenoh wrote:
Quote:

Oh no, it's possible to be hot and a otaku, Megan Fox is an example of it, she said in a interview on Seventeen that she watched Cowboy Bebop and Inuyasha, she also loved Sailor Moon too. She's a bit geekier by saying she love the K-pop idol, Bi Rain. So you can be cute (or hot) and be geeky at the same time too, if Megan Fox can do that, then so can Diana Garnet.

I never said you couldn't be hot and an otaku, nor did I bold the word cute.

I bolded the words 100% American and otaku. lol
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Amara Tenoh wrote:

I never said you couldn't be hot and an otaku, nor did I bold the word cute.

I bolded the words 100% American and otaku. lol

Well I'm sure Megan Fox is one of them, and there could be more people beside her and Diana. They do exist.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Amara Tenoh wrote:
Quote:

"100% American" is probably talking about her ethnicity, since her status as a singer in Japan is probably going to also be dependent on how interesting she is as a unique phenomenon. There are bilingual singers in Japan who sing both Japanese and English, but she's ethnically American, yet may still sing in Japanese. I do hope her "otaku" attitude is less "weeaboo"-ish. I do not like using that word because I respect fans of Japanese culture, no matter what, but it embodies the kind of attitude that sends the wrong message to Japanese people about American anime fans, so I can at least hope a representative of my country who is similar to myself is mature about her otaku-ness, especially if it becomes a major part of her identity in Japan.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:

unfortunately a lot of the pursuits arent too happy about it.

especially fans in japan.

just the though of having a US singer that the otaku community barely know of doing the opening is more than enough to scream "bloody murder" & "their americanizing the series." especially if she sings the opening in enlgish . if it was anime VA & fan favorites like vic mignona or catlin glass who have sang in japaneese before ,then it might be a little different.

hopefully it will turn out well for everyone's sake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2