• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
.....yay sorry to be that person but how the heck does this get the same score as the rather trashy sister testament, when this is much better in every respect.

Also am I only one who can only see the blond girl was michiru from grisaia
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I saw an Oreimo poster on his wall, and some of the books looked familiar. I also found the Sword Art figures amusing given that the VA plays Kirito. Really enjoying this series so far, might be my favourite of the season at this pace.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
.....yay sorry to be that person but how the heck does this get the same score as the rather trashy sister testament, when this is much better in every respect.

Well, it's a different reviewer who's doing the weekly reviews for that show. Also, the actual content of the review is more important than the end score.

And also...This didn't get the same score as The Testament of Sister New Devil. This was given a B-. That was given a C+.
garlogan78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
I saw an Oreimo poster on his wall, and some of the books looked familiar. I also found the Sword Art figures amusing given that the VA plays Kirito. Really enjoying this series so far, might be my favourite of the season at this pace.

Can you explain why you like the show? Your post makes it sound like it is your favorite because it references Oreimo and SAO.
Kaon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1 was a lot better than episode 0 imo. There's meta... and then there's too much "meta" like damn. I am so glad they toned it down this episode, and the fanservice was fairly tame as well.

The character interactions are great but the characters themselves are a little lacking. Like I'm honestly getting tired of Kirito's VA this season... and overall the main in this show... feels very meh.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I had this whole crazy idea the whole time when I was watching this anime. What if, just what if, this anime is set in the same universe as "The World God Only Knows"? And that this group is making the ultimate Dating Sim game for our God Keima Katsuragi to conquer?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Animelover12313 wrote:
I had this whole crazy idea the whole time when I was watching this anime. What if, just what if, this anime is set in the same universe as "The World God Only Knows"? And that this group is making the ultimate Dating Sim game for our God Keima Katsuragi to conquer?

Oh, yes! Someone should make an anime of this one! (Or at least a 4th season)

The art style is going to take some time getting used to. I do like that reddish outline they, the characters, sometimes have to their eyelashes; reminds me of Grisaia no Kajitsu.

Regarding the story and plot - from what I saw pre-release, I thought this show was better at delivering its comedic, dramatic and inter-personal levels, but so far it's about "just above Average" for me. I'll give it another episode or two before deciding whether I'll keep tracking this one or not.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:05 am Reply with quote
Huh

Well, this was a much more positive review for the show than I expected given my jaded views on slice of life and harem shows.

If this is as good as Inou Battle, I may give this a shot
Melicans

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:44 am Reply with quote
garlogan78 wrote:
Melicans wrote:

Can you explain why you like the show? Your post makes it sound like it is your favorite because it references Oreimo and SAO.

Its not my (tentative) favourite because of something so inane as that. Theron's review for episode one suggested that comments note references that he may have missed, so I noted Oreimo. The Sword Art reference is just something that gave me a chuckle (particularly because of there being two of Asuna).

As for why I'm enjoying the show so far... mostly because of the self-awareness, but I'm also really liking the animation. I tend to enjoy it when a series gives a wink and a nod to the viewers, and is parodying the tropes more than falling into the pitfalls of them. It's following the vein of something like Oreshura or Inou Battle, though nowhere close to, say, Nyarko-san (which is so full of parody it is exhausting). Can the characters be fleshed out better? Absolutely, but there are only two episodes so far without much meaningful interaction with the female leads as of yet. It is shaping up to be my favourite of the season, but it could easily still disappoint. For now though I am enjoying it.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Animelover12313 wrote:

Oh, yes! Someone should make an anime of this one! (Or at least a 4th season)
The art style is going to take some time getting used to. I do like that reddish outline they, the characters, sometimes have to their eyelashes; reminds me of Grisaia no Kajitsu.
Regarding the story and plot - from what I saw pre-release, I thought this show was better at delivering its comedic, dramatic and inter-personal levels, but so far it's about "just above Average" for me. I'll give it another episode or two before deciding whether I'll keep tracking this one or not.

Yes I am totally on board of the TWOGK and Saekano same universe ship!
The redish line around their eyes is another reason I swear the blond twin tail is michiru from grisaia, and they also act very similar in addition to looking alike.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:01 am Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:

Oh, yes. I did see and recognize that but totally forgot to mention it. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:02 am Reply with quote
When I saw the cover of this streaming review, I thought I was going to be reading something about Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomeru.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:38 am Reply with quote
Usual school harem with a generic "Let's make a game" premise. The dignified otaku hero is also too unoriginal... The best thing this series can do is to do straight animation about making their game and won't put a lot of nonsense fanservices. But chances of it are so totally almost zero...

C grade is being too generous, I must say...
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:02 am Reply with quote
Well, the show seems pretty good, but I'm not sure how to feel about the first interesting show I've found this season being a harem. There's Yuri Bear, potentially, but I don't even know what that's supposed to be (and, most likely, neither does anyone else).

The fanservice is at least half parody, with stuff like the ping-pong game being made to look sexy but then showing they're actually terrible at it, or all the girls hanging out in a hot spring while complaining about harem anime. (Right off the bat someone says something about dumb harem anime getting too much praise for their "art" and ruining the anime industry... oh, the intentional irony.) Even if this ends up being nothing but meta madness, it seems worth watching. Though I can't quite decide if those random art shifts are actually frames printed on a machine that's running out of ink.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:40 am Reply with quote
I can't help but feel that people are continuing to miss the point. Complaints are that this is just a fanservice show with overdone harem aspects. A huge part of this show is doing that, but if you are following it the right way you will notice that the way characters are following those aspects is completely on purpose as it is actually commenting on it and doing the exact opposite.

Eriri is specifically cast into the tsundere childhood friend role, kind of a fetish role, and we find that her role is someone who draws fetish work. Utaha is a Senjougaha like role, the type that has that kind of love crush under her cold exterior, and we find out her role is that she writes love stories. Both of the girls seemed to have known him but were not too happy about something, which I get the feeling he literally has taken oblivious lead too far or long and they got sick of his lack of interest. Megumi's archetype? She does not have one, that is the whole point as despite having been around her for some time where she knew him and he had a fated encounter, he did not even know what her name was. I am quite sure we are meant to compare her lack extreme features of an archetype who is the heroine to the others who fit the roles to a cliché level.

Follow the dialogue and you notice that it is even pointed out that the girls fit perfectly into their archetypes by the standard friend who explain everything about girls. The main character, an otaku culture interested in and critiques it, finds that he really is not interested in the real world versions. When he has his fateful encounter he finds that they were right in front of him the whole time, and likely don't even share the interests he thought he might need. Say what you may, but that is kind of exactly the opposite of the cliché you think it is at first, actually I wonder if that is an artistic purpose that the OP seems so heavy on fanservice, while the ED is much tamer.

Probably jumping the gun, but I think the anime is asking the question of what you really want in a story like this. It is why episode 0 started off with a commentary on using fanservice, why the lead is such an insert character, and why it set up archetypes only for centre stage to be one that does not fit. And why the shifts in art style?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8