• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tales of Zestiria PS3 RPG Offers Alisha Epilogue as DLC

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeisterYM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
Sorey and Alisha? Please?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Alisha is not playable for much of the actual game before this DLC.

The fact Namco promoted her a lot in the initial stages just for the players to find out THAT is just mind-boggling, and now they pull this in attempt to save face. I can imagine the rage that's been induced.
Lovely

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote
From what I've heard, Japanese Tales fans are Reaaaaalllly mad. In fact, that's pretty much why the DLC was made free for this brief amount of time.

(There was also a lot of costume DLC for Alisha that people paid for, then discovered she wasn't playable much. Soooo yeah. Bamco isn't popular with Japanese Tales fans at the moment.)
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this has been all over my twitter feed this morning. Won't say who posted 99% of it...
Lovely

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
Had to double check if it was me, but no, I'm mostly just threatening to put forks in people's eyes.

8D .
iCards

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Considering The Battle System involved fusing with Spirits and Alisha was never confirmed to have that power, I sterted to think something like that would happen. This would be the second time in Tales history I believe this has happened. The first being Legendia with Shirly.
Lovely

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I actually don't mind main-character-misdirection in promo-stuff cause I think it can lead to fun/funny results. (Shadow Hearts 2, Metal Gear Solid 2)

It IS kinda scummy if, like in Bamco's case, you make a bunch of merchandise and DLC of said character, and then hardly have said character in-game.

So, taking Legendia as an example. It would be a bunch of merchandise and clothing of her pre-sold, and then charging extra for the second half of the game where she's actually playble/ gets more story development.

Aaaanyhoo, I'm glad Bamco is getting some blowback for this. I think it will be good for them in the long run. They've been overdoing it with the paid DLC , so people getting upset over it was bound to happen sooner or later.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I'm a little conflicted on this one. On the one hand, I really want to play as Alisha. On the other hand, I don't see why they cut her storytime down so much--I wonder if it was planned from the start, or if it was a last-minute switch-up?

As for the DLC, well if we don't get a Tales of Zestiria Z remaster next year, I'm pretty okay with that. It's much more of an insult to pay twice for the same game.

Of course, that's only if Namco actually DOESN'T release a remaster in a few years, like they have with every game but Xillia recently (and that one got a sequel).
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Quote:
Alisha is not playable for much of the actual game before this DLC.

The fact Namco promoted her a lot in the initial stages just for the players to find out THAT is just mind-boggling, and now they pull this in attempt to save face. I can imagine the rage that's been induced.

Yeah, I just saw this news and I can also understand and am not really surprised at that reaction given how they went about it.

Lovely wrote:
Aaaanyhoo, I'm glad Bamco is getting some blowback for this. I think it will be good for them in the long run. They've been overdoing it with the paid DLC , so people getting upset over it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Yeah, that's true.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Is this the absolute first time that a company has advertised a character as a major playable one only for them to end up largely as post game DLC? If so I can understand the level of histrionics up to a certain extent (truth be told gamers incoherent unfocused multi-directional bitching that sees character designers who have nothing to do with these DLC decisions caught in the wake will always be an embarrassing read for me justified or not), if not it looks like more gamers just being picky choosy with when to bitch and when to hold their tongues or even praise content.

I wish I knew a little bit more about what was going on though I get that the extent of it has to do with one of the waifus being relegated to DLC, but the degree to which people will flip flop 180 degrees on video games when it comes to certain things kind of amazes me. I'm sort of reminded of the whole Mass Effect 3 fiasco where people went from hailing it as one of the greatest trilogies of all time in any media anywhere to going absolutely ballistic over complaints relating almost entirely to the games ending (even though many people claim that the rest of the 95% or so of the game was awesome in their estimation) and then they even released a free DLC to address it too and somehow people got even more angry. My guess is that there's some justification and catalyst for all this, but also that gamers and nerds just LOVE to bitch and once the bandwagon gets rolling that's just that.

The fact that this sold 400,000 copies in it's first week though means pretty much nothing is going to change anyway business model wise at least immediately so unless people start voting more with their wallets to send some sort of more coherent message instead of just what looks like competing to see who can make the most over the top ragepost over a video game that's the reality.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Been seeing some talk of this over my twitter feed as well. When they bring it over to the states, might the DLC come over bundled with it? Or might overseas marketing just de-emphasize Alisha's prominence to be more honest and keep it as paid DLC for the West?

It's a weird lukewarm relationship I have with Tales-- despite following news for every home console iteration that's released, sometimes with a good degree of excitement, I've never actually played any Tales game beyond the first one I played: my Gamecube copy of Symphonia. (Haven't even touched that copy of Vesperia I got in an online Bamco sale on my 360.) If I get to the point where I'm playing the latest Tales game at around the same time as everyone else, this doesn't look like such a strong foot to start on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
I wish I knew a little bit more about what was going on though I get that the extent of it has to do with one of the waifus being relegated to DLC, but the degree to which people will flip flop 180 degrees on video games when it comes to certain things kind of amazes me. I'm sort of reminded of the whole Mass Effect 3 fiasco where people went from hailing it as one of the greatest trilogies of all time in any media anywhere to going absolutely ballistic over complaints relating almost entirely to the games ending (even though many people claim that the rest of the 95% or so of the game was awesome in their estimation) and then they even released a free DLC to address it too and somehow people got even more angry. My guess is that there's some justification and catalyst for all this, but also that gamers and nerds just LOVE to bitch and once the bandwagon gets rolling that's just that.

The people who were praising ME3 were the gaming sites whose best interest was to paint the game favorably for EA. Those same people also praised DA2 while fans also criticized that game heavily. Even DA:I is being met with the same kind of polarizing views depending if you ask gamers or sites. There's a difference between what review sites want gamers to think and what gamers actually think. Besides, people's anger at ME3 was more than just the ending.

This Alisha fiasco sounds similar to Flynn back in Vesperia. He was a popular character who was only a temporary party member and fangirls went crazy angry over it. So in the PS3 version they made Flynn a full-fledged party member.
SniperRuleZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
ani12

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
SniperRuleZ wrote:

Looks like a troll review. Those seem to happen a lot on Amazon JP.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
And there's Fedora with the clichéd uneccsary downplay of popular western games. Yep, Mass Effect 3 and Mass Effect in general aren't some of the most well loved games of last gen. Dragon Age Inquistion's response is mixed because a small minority dosent like it. Funny how you always attempt to downplay western games because OMG a few people don't like it. Yeah sure sounds like a mixed reaction or a big conspiracy that these games that are mostly well liked get good reviews. Please.

Whatever, leave it to otaku to get pissed that you don't get to play as some chick. The rest of the cast looks cool anyway, so I don't care if you don't get to play as the least intersting looking female in the game. I'm actually excited for this game, a first for Tales. The open world and battle system sound fantastic.

Anyway this is FFXIII-2 all over again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2