• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
5th Milky Holmes TD Episode Delayed Due to "Circumstances'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
FFS. Way to over react. Shocked
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:47 am Reply with quote
Stop this madness, you are making the enemy stronger. Defend freedom of expression by airing the episode not cower at the sight of evil and delay it, times like this is where you take a stand.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:28 am Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
the fifth episode, "Carol no Minoshirokin" (Carol's Ransom)

I wonder what the "circumstances" are...
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
This is in line with other censorship trends such as Sentai changing weapons due to a serial stabbing or censorship of scenes featuring a large scale natural disaster.

This is a case of simply "too soon" and should only cry foul if say a series was permanently changed/edited due to a momentary disaster.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:58 am Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:

I'm sorry, but at least one Japanese guy has had his head whipped off by the nutty ISIS guys. If anything was possibly similar in the show then it would be EXTREMELY bad taste to broadcast!

Of course it could have just been production delays.
consignia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:21 am Reply with quote
As expected of the biting satire that is Milky Holmes. I guess an episode parodying ISIS was a bit too near the knuckle, even for them.

#jeSuisMilkyHolmes
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:28 am Reply with quote
This is a very scary and sad time for Japan, and I completely understand the delays. Broadcasting this would have been in very bad taste, in my opinion. Wonder what will take its place this week.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:19 am Reply with quote
Still think it's stupid. How is thins helping anyone?
ZetaZaku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:23 am Reply with quote
Damn you ISIS, ruining our Chinese cartoons!

Jokes aside, I don't think I really blame Japan for doing so. But then again, it's mostly airing after midnight, just like AssClass, so I'm not sure that people watching these kinds of show are that easily offended. Shit happened yes, but it's not like this episode has anything to do with ISIS. It's kinda like Japan censoring that Pokemon episode involving a sunken ship, just because of that ship accident in Korea. Like geez, people die all the time, they should censor death in general then.

Basically, as long as they aren't being tasteless towards the subject, I don't think anyone would get offended or "triggered". This isn't tumblr we are talking about, but sane people.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Escaflowne2001 wrote:

I'm sorry, but at least one Japanese guy has had his head whipped off by the nutty ISIS guys. If anything was possibly similar in the show then it would be EXTREMELY bad taste to broadcast!

Indeed and it's terrible delaying a episode of anime isn't going to change that and I can't see people that are directly effected by it. Accidently watching or hearing about a episode of Milky Holmes.

If the other cases are anything to go by (Psycho Pass + AssClass) it a very mild connection at best.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
It's unfortunate, but understandable. But for some of you that are saying the delay is ridiculous, you got to remember Japan is going through hard time, we just saw one Japanese person got killed by ISIS, it isn't the right time to broadcast anime that show an event that coincide what happened in real life recently.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
It's unfortunate, but understandable. But for some of you that are saying the delay is ridiculous, you got to remember Japan is going through hard time, we just saw one Japanese person got killed by ISIS, it isn't the right time to broadcast anime that show an event that coincide what happened in real life recently.

To fair, Japan, as are most countries, is extremely sensitive and "politically correct" at times like this. There was the delay in November of Psycho-Pass: New Edit Version's airing due to a then-recent real-life murder. Additionally, an episode of Higurashi was delayed, again due to a murder (with some of the elements closely resemble not only to Higurashi's general plot, but to the planned episode's story as well). And let us not forget the infamous School Days' Nice Boat meme.

The main difference in this incident over the aforementioned ones is that this one happens abroad, and the Japanese media at large, and more specifically the Anime medium in Japan, doesn't have any tangible influence over ISIS' course of action (especially now, when ISIS' demands are directed towards Jordan, and not Japan. At least not directly).
Wtv

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Escaflowne2001 wrote:

You don't know Milky Holmes, right?
I doubt it's even a real kidnapping.

It makes sense in AssClass, but here...
Anyway, Japan is way to sensible. Imagine if USA would cancel things everytime a violent crime happens.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Wtv wrote:
Anyway, Japan is way to sensible. Imagine if USA would cancel things everytime a violent crime happens.

They actually do. It was especially notable after 9/11. Shows were even cancelled because they were deemed too violent after 9/11 happened.

Pulling these episodes generally has nothing to do with being afraid of anything. They just find it in bad taste to air an episode about a kidnapping or mass shooting after a kidnapping or mass shooting happens. It's no different than the mass funerals you see after shootings happen. People wouldn't tell people not to attend those because it shows weakness and it means the "terrorists win", would they?

-Stuart Smith
Wtv

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Wtv wrote:

They actually do. It was especially notable after 9/11. Shows were even cancelled because they were deemed too violent after 9/11 happened.

Pulling these episodes generally has nothing to do with being afraid of anything. They just find it in bad taste to air an episode about a kidnapping or mass shooting after a kidnapping or mass shooting happens. It's no different than the mass funerals you see after shootings happen. People wouldn't tell people not to attend those because it shows weakness and it means the "terrorists win", would they?

-Stuart Smith

It's not about showing weakness, but Japan seems to do it a lot. Even with a random murder, sometimes.
Sure, it's a more peaceful country, so they're not used to this kind of thing, but still...

And they should cancel things with more contextual similarities. Not shows about dumb girls doing random things that doesn't even use violence in the humour.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2