• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertical Adds Kizumonogatari Novel, Seraph of the End Novels, Ninja Slayer Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, this is definitely a welcoming news especially for Kizumonogatari. Been wanting to read this for quite a long time. Same for Seraph of the End considering the anime will be airing soon this Spring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
engle_michelle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Awesome I love manga I excited for the lite novel and the anime Laughing
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Given that Seraph is a Shounen Jump title, it'd make more sense for Viz to pick it up.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I am glad that someone was able to license Kizumonogatari. I hope they can also publish the rest of the franchise.
Hobbiton Guard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Kizumonogatari being licensed is one of the best pieces of news I've received today. Great to hear that we'll be able to read that one with an official translation.

Also, I'm truly excited for Seraph of the End's novels. The manga is one of my favourite currently running SJ series, and so this will be a great addition to my collection.
NuGaiNM7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how Vertical will translate the puns/word-play and references that Nisioisin likes to use for the Monogatari Series. The kanji-based puns will be the hardest to translate, since English has no equivalent for kanji.

They'll probably have to re-word some sections of Kizu too, if they're planning to release Kizu first, instead of Bake.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Confused Hmm.... not really a fan of the Monogatari series, but I'm been waiting for the film adaptation for Kizumonogatari for quite a while. I guess reading the novel might hold me off until they finally decide to release the movie.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
NuGaiNM7 wrote:
I wonder how Vertical will translate the puns/word-play and references that Nisioisin likes to use for the Monogatari Series. The kanji-based puns will be the hardest to translate, since English has no equivalent for kanji.

They'll probably have to re-word some sections of Kizu too, if they're planning to release Kizu first, instead of Bake.

In terms of being lost in translation, I could see it being justified if they can't really translate said puns. Of course, there likely will be those translation elitists that are insistent it be 100% word for word.
NuGaiNM7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
In terms of being lost in translation, I could see it being justified if they can't really translate said puns. Of course, there likely will be those translation elitists that are insistent it be 100% word for word.

Yeah, I guess so...well either way, I'll be happy that we're getting Kizu in any form. (KIZU-SHAFT NEVER.)
GiriOni

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Apparently NisiOisin's editors suggested to vertical that they start with Kizu first. According to their askfm account.

http://ask.fm/VerticalComics_Ed/answer/124050356792
WikiSonic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote
It's really great to see more publishers entering the light novel space. There are still many light novel series that I want to see localized and not enough companies right now pursuing them. But this recent acquisition along with Yen Press is making me hopeful. Hopefully people support this so we see more Monogatari novels and more light novels in general.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
GiriOni wrote:

Apparently NisiOisin's editors suggested to vertical that they start with Kizu first. According to their askfm account.

Maybe the prime test how well they do with it before giving them more of the books?
Dian Z

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
GiriOni wrote:

Maybe the prime test how well they do with it before giving them more of the books?

It's possible. I recalled Nisio's Zaregoto didn't seem to sell well and ended up having only two volumes released, likely because the first volume is said to be weaker if not the weakest.
If it's possible to release Kizu first due to its nature as the first chronologically, in which there seems to be a lot going on in the volume compared to the first two Bakemonogataris (which are more like a collection of short stories), then it's a logical decision to win the attention of those who are not familiar with the series yet or those who have only heard about its reputation while never actually watched the anime adaptation.
traveling

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:40 am Reply with quote
I'm interested in all of these titles, but Kizumono is going to be pre-ordered so fast it's not even funny.

Kadmos1 wrote:
Given that Seraph is a Shounen Jump title, it'd make more sense for Viz to pick it up.

The novels are published by Kodansha so that's why Vertical got them. If Viz wants to try LNs again, they should go for the big ones that Shogakukan puts out like Oregairu, Tokyo Ghoul, and Naruto.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:03 am Reply with quote
This is truly great news, as I've always wanted the opportunity to read the Monogatari series, and Shinobu is my favorite character Smile

Definitely a Day 1 purchase for me, though count me in among those wondering how the wordplay, double-meanings and generally untranslatable language will be...well, translated.

I admit to having tried reading a fan translation of Kizumonogatari once and felt as though I was missing half the writing---too basic, plain and devoid of the inventive (and sometimes downright frustrating) dialogue the series is known for. Quite like translating a Haruki Murakami novel, now that I think about it. If Vertical pulls it off, I wonder what publication order the rest of the series will follow? It seems as though NisiOisin's editors are going for chronological order when it comes to the series' timeline, but who can say?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2