• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Helter Skelter and Pink

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katscradle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Great piece. Really great.

I'm very thankful Vertical brought some of Kyoko Okazaki's work over. Personally I'm glad that Helter Skelter was released first. If I had read Pink first I don't think I would have tried anymore of her work. Pink was way too brutal and hit a bad button for me. Still, as much as I dislike it I haven't gotten rid of the book. Laughing I seriously wish Vertical could have used the older cover (at least one other publisher did but, of course the U.S. is weird on nudity), or come up with something else for approval. I couldn't stand looking at the book for a while after I read Pink and it would have been easier to get over that if another image of Yumi was chosen. I think Pink could have benefited from some notes too. The reader needs to understand Japan in the 1980s a bit, and Yumi mentions things that went on back then.

I thought Helter Skelter was pretty awesome though. It's sad that Okazaki had something so devastating happen to her. Drunk drivers tick me off so bad.
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In 1996, as Helter Skelter neared completion, she was hit by a drunk driver while out on a walk with her husband. Left paraplegic, she has yet to recover from her injuries.

Paraplegia is not something one can ever just simple recover from it is a 180 degree life style change. I had no idea that Okazaki had gone through something so horrible. Sad I enjoyed Pink but just never had the urge to buy Helter Skleter.

Is it just something horrible happened to these artists feature week? after all this was uploaded right after the review of the Itazura na Kiss series.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the review of Okazaki's work, and thank you, Vertical, for publishing it. Too little of this type of manga make it to North America. I'm put in mind of Chihiro Tamaki's Walkin' Butterfly (not completed when Aurora folded) and Mari Okazaki's Suppli (not completed by Tokyopop).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1