• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gunbuster 2 DVD 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Unfortunately no announcement has been made on its licensing by the time of this posting.

I could've sworn I read that Bandai Visual licensed the "movies"; from this very site, in fact.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:52 am Reply with quote
Indeed. No fewer than two announcements of its licensing have been reported on ANN months before this posting. I know as I submitted one. Anime smile Once when they let it slip at Anime LA, again when the official announcement was made at Fanime. Heck, the trailer on the disc is announcement of such. We even know that we're getting the limited figurine.

ALA

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-01-30/anime-la-bandai-visual-report

Fanime

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-05-26/gunbuster-vs-diebuster-licensed-by-bandai-visual-usa

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-05-30/bandai-visual-planning-2-gunbuster-gattai-dvd-editions-no-film-run
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:27 am Reply with quote
Well, I finished the series last week via Netflix (sorry folks, at these prices, let alone without a dub, BV isn't getting into my wallet!), and I have to say I enjoyed it. All the more reason to be disappointed at the lack of a dub. I have no problem with the original performances, but there is a significant audience out there who will likely never see this because of no dub. If they had done one, I could have easily seen this on CN's Adult Swim lineup ala FLCL (and I really loved the homage to the FLCL close spoiler[when I think it is in ep. 5 Lal'C has trouble with her scooter.], and that exposure can make a huge difference in sales. Oh well, if I ever see it in the clearance section at Right Stuf someday at a more reasonale price, I'll pick it up then, but not before.
Heretic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I thoroughly enjoyed this series, and didn't mind plopping down more than usual for it. They may want to think twice about their pricing though as I'm almost certain I'm in the minority with my thinking. Anything short of this level of quality I would not be willing to shell out the extra cash, like in the case of Galaxy Angel Rune.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
To me, a sub-only release is about as cheap as an anime company can get.

I am not paying forty dollars plus for two eps of anime that don't even have a freakin' English dub, regardless of how many feelies they pack in the box. Wake me up when Bandai Visual finally smells the coffee and sells their licenses to someone who will make proper use of them, because I will never buy one of their crappy sub-only releases. They are Bizarro 4Kids.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:52 am Reply with quote
Since I'm normally paying for a dub I'll never listen to, I'd think its absence would be reflected in a lower price. Nope, its still premium. As with most Gainax stuff, I'll still get it though, but the price and omission of a box are things I still find jarring.
Saiyo_Chan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to miss out on a great series like this, so I'm planning on buying these on eBay. I don't pay $20 per episode, and I don't support a company whose business practices I deplore.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:54 am Reply with quote
Dejiko wrote:
Since I'm normally paying for a dub I'll never listen to, I'd think its absence would be reflected in a lower price. Nope, its still premium. As with most Gainax stuff, I'll still get it though, but the price and omission of a box are things I still find jarring.

I actually almost never listen to the dub, but still find the practice of not having a dub a step in the wrong direction. I also throw away most of my clamshells, but will often complain at how a company will lack inserts and have awful cover art. I also tend not to watch extras, but highly respect companies that include them. This seems really weird, but I really admire companies that put effort into their releases.

One scary thought is that there is a point where a company can get away with selling DVDs for a ridiculous price. Since the price of pressing, marketing and distributing a DVD is not zero, a DVD that cost $40 will bring a company far more than twice the profit than a DVD costing $20. For examples sake lets say a DVD cost $19 (it cost much cheaper of course) to make. The company will only make one dollar per sale, compared to $21 from a $40 release meaning they only need to sell 1/20 number of copies to break even. This example is extreme, but my point is that Bandai Visual might get away with murder if enough people buy Galaxy Angel for $50 and Honneamise for $80 since the price is so much higher than production cost.

This is why I will try to stick to my guns with my BVUSA boycott, despite getting Freedom. If they get away with this other companies might follow this model of a fraction of the number of sales pulling a much higher per disc profit scheme. I for one would rather see a ton of fans buying copies for cheap, as well as being able to afford anything that is remotely interesting. .
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Boycotts or not, I can't recommend Gunbuster 2 enough, both as a Gainax fan and as an anime fan in general. Those that listen to dubs only might have to make an exception for this one if they're even slighly interested - It's really that good.

If you can, as the review says, watch the original through first. I'd recommend watching the original in its entirety before any of the sequel because it makes the thematic similarities clearer and gives them more impact.

Even though I've enjoyed every Gainax work I've seen, I had been growing slowly disenchanted with them as time went on. I don't know if it was because their quality truly has gone down over the years or that their 80s and 90s stuff was just so good that my expectations were unreasonably high (probably a combination of both) but Gunbuster 2 nearly completely restored my faith in the studio. Great title.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Damius

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I just find it weird,

Let's see how BV think... Ok,

1. let's put only two episodes on a dvd
2. Oh, and no dub cost a lot less more profit
3. Let's put some extras -- DVD Features: Theatrical Trailer, 20-page Color Booklet.
4. Oh and let's be .... (you can imagine) and let's sell it a higher price

.... I am not listening to dub, never do...but this is a so bad idea...
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:00 am Reply with quote
By only placing a couple of episodes per DVD and not having dubs Bandai only needs to sell a fraction of units to break even. It wouldn't surprise me if they still make a profit even if they sell a fraction of units as most titles. I believe thaqt I've seen the Gunbuster DVDs have done well at amazon despite there price, so BVUSA might have the last laugh.
Area88

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:36 am Reply with quote
If Bandai Visual only cared about profit then they wouldn't have included a deluxe 20 page colour booklet plus extras with all their releases.

The fact that no dub is present allows Bandai Visual to max out the bitrate for video quality that out performs any other company.
indrik

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm much more likely to buy the "they cut out the dub because it's expensive" argument than the "they cut out the dub to give us better video quality" argument. If that actually means anything to anybody.
zebbox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
man i really hate when they skip anime dub on dvd like that
i rally hope they don´t stop dubbed anime :evil:
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1