• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Cyborg 009 Anime Project Gets Event Screening this Fall

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:45 am Reply with quote
Well, it looks like this will be a film rather than a TV series then.

Still looking forward to it though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KH91

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:21 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to fall. I know this gon be good.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:26 am Reply with quote
I hope this is better than Re:Cyborg 009. What a pretentious mess that movie was. Kamiyama was desperate to emulate his mentor and went further into self-indulgence than Oshii at his worst.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:31 am Reply with quote
Seems like at least promising to be a lot better than Re: Cyborg.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DragonSpikeXIII

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:12 am Reply with quote
I'll remain hopeful, as long as Kamiyama isn't involved in this project.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:20 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to this, it can't be any worse than Re:Cyborg 009.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:39 am Reply with quote
It was 7/19/64 that 009 debuted and yet they are still using the 50th anniversary tag on it. This technically would be accurate if they release it any time before the 51st anniversary.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:56 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Well, it looks like this will be a film rather than a TV series then.

Still looking forward to it though.

Or it might have turned into an OVA series with limited Theatrical releases. Those seem to be popular lately. You can sell limited edition DVDs and what not in the movie theater gift shop so you already start to make back the cost of production. It seemed to do well for Gundam UC and Yamato 2199 which both have an older fanbase.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
The 2012 film they used with Cyborg 009 was set ahead, which was fine. However story didn't make sense specially in the end.

This looks like animation style from the 52 episode anime series in early 2000s. Which was fine, but i don't think they fully exported the series beyond 24 episodes but i felt like i was cheated since they never brought the rest over.

Hopefully the new series isn't one big repeat. Sad
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I've been out of the 009 loop for a long time now, so can I ask everyone why the Re: movie was so terrible?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:07 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I've been out of the 009 loop for a long time now, so can I ask everyone why the Re: movie was so terrible?

It has this phony, affected, pompousness to it. It pretends to be intellectually complex and it it's really just a lot of wankery. It's all the excesses of Oshii at his worst, but coming from his protege, instead.

I mean, it's Cyborg 009, FFS, and they're trying to throw in all this unnecessary symbolism that tries to make it weighty but fails to out of the sheer absurdity of the plot and concepts, and more specifically the execution.

It's just a complete disaster and an embarrassment for the franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:45 am Reply with quote
belvadeer, I think it was also that the animation could have come as being cheesy (and changing Jet's iconic pointed nose doesn't help).

Come on, get the Toonami cast to dub this.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It has this phony, affected, pompousness to it. It pretends to be intellectually complex and it it's really just a lot of wankery. It's all the excesses of Oshii at his worst, but coming from his protege, instead.

I mean, it's Cyborg 009, FFS, and they're trying to throw in all this unnecessary symbolism that tries to make it weighty but fails to out of the sheer absurdity of the plot and concepts, and more specifically the execution.

It's just a complete disaster and an embarrassment for the franchise.

Kadmos1 wrote:
belvadeer, I think it was also that the animation could have come as being cheesy (and changing Jet's iconic pointed nose doesn't help).

Thanks for your input you two. So, ultimately is it one of those cases of just avoid wasting one's time and skipping it?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
It might be worth checking out just as a curiosity, but if you have to choose between it and something else, choose whatever else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1