• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Brave Mew World

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:54 am Reply with quote
There is nothing funnier than the "what if" 4Kids dubs of adult/older audience fare such as Kill la Kill or Evangelion. Well, besides everything else.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:01 am Reply with quote
Bit of an update to your first answer, Justin: AnoHana is expiring off of Hulu as well, around the same time it's being taken off of Crunchyroll.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:43 am Reply with quote
The question about Sentai's licenses and release schedule is concerning, especially going on what Justin said about how long it would take to release what they already have. Sentai seems to have gotten fairly aggressive about getting licenses for new shows, but they are also picking up a decent amount of older, unlicensed shows which may have gone unlicensed for a reason. Throw in that they have a tendency to come back and dub a show if the sub-only does well enough, and I kind of wonder if they aren't spreading themselves a little thin.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
As far as the 4Kids hate, I wonder if some (not all) of it is because of Little Kuriboh's Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series. It's a pretty popular show and pokes fun at 4Kids quite a bit.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:13 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
As far as the 4Kids hate, I wonder if some (not all) of it is because of Little Kuriboh's Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series. It's a pretty popular show and pokes fun at 4Kids quite a bit.

No, no, the 4Kids hate dates back to the (pre-CN) days when your anime had "arrived" if it showed on afternoon syndication.
Even knowing that it wouldn't arrive on afternoon syndication unless it was a toy-marketable Poke-clone, and would be localized to take any foreign taint out of it. (Like Cardcaptors.)
And 4Kids used their Pokemoney to become the monopoly on afternoon game-series syndication, which made frustrated fans feel as if "the system" had betrayed us.

But, like Justin says, that's SO 90's.
It's one of those enemies fans keep having to dig up and fight again, because the funeral was just too short.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
To my knowledge, Sentai has never officially gone back on a license after it was announced.

I think Ro-Kyu-Bu! is the only one.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
On the question of Tribe Cool Crew getting a physical release from Sentai, I think it will be released eventually. Sentai licensed Space Brothers 3 years ago. And for a while it seemed like they had forgotten about it, but this year it finally started getting released.

Sentai is usually really good at releasing shows in a timely manner, but for some shows they take a while. Hang on tight and wait for Tribe Cool Crew.

Greed1914 wrote:
The question about Sentai's licenses and release schedule is concerning, especially going on what Justin said about how long it would take to release what they already have... and I kind of wonder if they aren't spreading themselves a little thin.

I think your worries about Sentai are overblown. They seem to be doing fine, and they are not spreading themselves a little thin because most of the stuff they have released in the last two years are sub-only. If they were dubbing 70% of their stuff (like they did 2-3 years ago) there will be reasons for concern. Releasing sub-only is way, way cheaper compared to dubbing.

And calculating that Sentai has unreleased stuff to last them 3 years is exaggerated. I follow Sentai releases very closely. Each month they usually release 15 products. 8 are dual (BD and DVD) releases of 4 shows they have licensed within the last two years. The rest of their release slates are usually padded with re-releases of older titles and stuff from Maiden Japan.

Sentai currently has around 40 unreleased shows that they licensed within the last two years. Some of those shows are two-cour, which means they will be released in two parts. If we calculate that those 40 shows would yield 100 dual releases, divide that by 8 released each month, and that comes to about 1 year of releases.

I hope my post was not too confusing and sorry for editing your quote.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Fri May 29, 2015 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
After the shutdown of 4Kids years earlier, one would think that the hate towards them would die down by now. It seems that their involvement within the anime industry from the late 1990's to 2011 must still have people harboring a grudge against them.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
Removing a series from a (legal) streaming site after it's been available for free might make some sense to the license holders, but wouldn't it be better to see if the show is really dead by marketing it as a Premium Show or whatnot, and place it behind the site's Paywall? (assuming said site uses one). Buying it physically or digitally is still placing money on the series to view it.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
I haven't heard anything about 4kids in ages, I do remember Youtube back in 07 and for a few years afterwords, where there was a lot of comparison videos between the original and their version, they were really fun to mock.

I sort of miss them, they helped bring Anime fans together as one, to hate them.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
An impact that 4Kids has had is that shows like Pokemon was the first anime to many American anime fans. Believe it or not, there are some people that prefer certain voices in the 4Kids One Piece to the Funi One Piece. A reason could be that they may well be very well aware of the censoring but they prefer the voices from a nostalgic angle.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Besides Anohana I think I saw some other shows that were not going to be streamed as well. Oh,Wagnaria was another one. Hmmm...I want to say that there was 1-2 others that I saw at one point that were expiring.

Anyways, kind of depressing to think about. If you don't get the discs when some stuff first comes out, especially if you are being told that its limited, and it disappears from streaming--the shear amount of content out there alone means something has to make way for newer stuff--then some things might seriously disappear locked away in some vault somewhere. Crying or Very sad
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I like to see streaming services a little like television channels: few shows stay on air forever, most stay for a nice while and then are pulled off, some get a really short run (think the Makoto Shinkai special days on Crunchyroll), etc.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Yoshiyuki Tomino springs to mind as the poster boy for the "so talented but uneasy to work with" personality. For a household name like Gundam, it goes without saying it attracted its fair share of controversial staff all the way back through its creation.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To my knowledge, Sentai has never officially gone back on a license after it was announced

What about Gintama, Glass Mask, and Eyeshield 21? I
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7