• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Sound! Euphonium Totally Nails Being a Band Geek

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
Once upon a time, I could both read music and play the viola -- I wasn't very good, though, and I quit.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
Clarinet, My best friend was a year older than me and was playing it in Junior High. I wanted to do everything just like him so I wheedled my way into band class to play the Clarinet. It wasn't easy and I wasn't ready to give it the time it needed for me to become any good at all.

However, I do still enjoy music to this day and I still have my best friend ... though both Clarinets are long gone.

Mark Gosdin
Carlooo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
I never have actually been in a band, but friends in high school pushed a bass guitar in my hands once, which led to me falling in love with the bass. My friends also pushed me into giving my first bass a name! (Which turned out to be Castian, made up on the spot).

So yes, there's hardly anything more nostalgic than naming your musical instrument. Great article!
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
I agree with most everything in the article. Hibike! Euphonium is absolutely the best representation of real life in music anime and is quickly becoming my favorite. I played flute, so I can relate more to Reina's experiences than the girls in the bass section (oh God, the competition during auditions) but just about every bit of drama in the series has been something I've personally experienced.

And yes, we frequently named our instruments. I went through a variety of joke names throughout the years but the most relevant is in 6th grade when my friend and I named our flutes Azaka and Kamidake (after Ayeka's guardians in Tenchi Muyo!).

I disagree a bit that K-ON! was a bad representation, though. Yui was the only one without experience, and while she was represented as a musical genius, there were many scenes where they pointed out her amateurishness. Also while the opening themes are quite complex, Fuwa Fuwa Time, Fude Pen and Hocchikisu are all songs that could be played by beginners. (Their songs get a little more complex in season 2, but a skilled high schooler could still play them no problem.) It's easy to assume they were magically skilled since the majority of the show focused on them drinking tea more than practicing, but it was implied that they still practiced quite a bit on their own, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
This show is pretty good at its Band Club moments, and with the other, more Slice-of-Life-y ones.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
Didn't do band in high school, but I could easily imagine this happening in a real life setting.

Hibike! Euphonium is the shiz! Great article.
TTTPersona

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Was a percussionist in band. This show gave me so much nostalgia.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A lot of people don't care about instruments like euphoniums, tubas and basses, so it's up to the people who play them to make up for it!

That alone makes this unique when the majority of musical anime focus on violin or piano.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I played euphonium/baritone from middle school to high school. Even marched with it in parades and used the marching baritone for field shows. Sadly, I wasn't great at it because I took little time to practice between school work and volleyball. Oh man was it a struggle when a volleyball game (and I was the only setter till varsity!) and a concert happened in the same evening...

I'd have joined all over again if someone like Asuka led my section...
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I used to play Trombone through Middle and High School so I can say this show is pretty close to what it was like back then and I just love it for that. Only thing missing is over consumption of cheap pizza and Mountain Dew Laughing Sectionals weren't as big in our band except for the really hard and dedicated music players and we didn't march only played from the stands at games, though by the time I was graduating our instructor was looking to start (or revive) a Marching Band. I can't say I knew people who named their instruments but we were all a crazy bunch so I'm sure some people did know.

Good times, good time. Part of me did wish Kumiko did go with the Trombone too. It's been a very enjoyable show thus far and I'm happy we got to see a focus on brass and woodwind bands for a change.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
In my high school I was in chorus and the band was the next room over. There was a rivalry between the two all the time. They disliked us for us singing and not having complicated pieces like they did and we disliked them for looking down at us and not understanding how hard singing complicated pieces can be. There were a few people from each group that were friends and that kept it down to a performance rivalry. If they weren't there it would have been a rivalry in every meaning. I still had a blast either way.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I thought this would be too much for the actual article, but in case anyone's curious, here's my favorite piece I played in high school band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbkR_y_QMnw

I had to double the tuba part on this one, too, but it was so much fun I didn't care. I even got to play the one-measure contrabass clarinet solo because we didn't have one!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
My favorite part is easily the fact that they are not super good instantly. Watching K-On S2 for 5 year right now too and I still love it but it always annoyed me how amazing they were. People like that do exist, but I've never met one so seeing more normal skill levels in an anime is awesome. Plus Omae is the cutest KyoAni girl yet IMO. And her realist attitude is exactly how I would view everything in her position. I also really like how they dealt with romance a few episodes ago...also very realistic. anime of the season for me for a lot of reasons that I'm too lazy to go into right now...great show.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I've been in band and recently orchestra ever since I began middle school 15 years ago. And yeah it certainly does bring back memories of high school band. I went to a school that was super-competitive in marching band on a national level... There was a lot of competition. And tenseness.

When I think about it you could probably make a series of my band experience, too... Because it's a lot like this, where one year we didn't achieve what we wanted (making finals in the national competition). We set out to do that the next year... And we did... And we did more. xD Very much like something out of a fictional marching band story. Lol.

I love Asuka in particular. She won me over when she was ready to lecture everyone on the history of her instrument. I am an instrument/instrument history nerd through and through! In other aspects she really reminds me of myself, too. Just with me my main instrument is bassoon, not euphonium. lol
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I typically don't care for the warm-fuzzy-slice-of-life genre in anime, but.....

I grew up playing piano and flute, and I even attended summer camps for both!

So uh, there is definitely some nostalgic band feels happening with this one that has caused me to not drop this show yet, where I otherwise probably would have.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4