• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Emblem Fates Adds Same-Sex Marriage Option

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Even though it's a small change when you only have two options but this is still a huge step up from Nintendo. Now I'm even more excited for this game!

Last edited by YumeHunter on Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Good news to be sure. More inclusivity is always a good thing.

That said, It's one of those things that I'm surprised that it took this long. Hell, confessions in the Fire Emblem universe seem to be two characters talking with each other and blushing. I don't think there has even been an actual kiss in any of the games.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
That's quite progressive, but I like it.

FE: FB sold for me :3
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
YumeHunter wrote:
Even though it's a small change when you only have two options but this is still a huge step up from Nintendo. Now I need to get this game!

What happened, did two hundred game sprites all get married in a group ceremony on the Inn steps, as a protest for Nintendo to make the change? Razz
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
To people that don't know: If you play as a female avatar in Birthright version you can marry Shara and if you play as a male avatar in Conquest you can marry Zero.
PinKunoichi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
YumeHunter wrote:
To people that don't know: If you play as a female avatar in Birthright version you can marry Shara and if you play as a male avatar in Conquest you can marry Zero.
That's great and all, but what's the point if I can't marry Rinka as woman? This might be a step in the right direction, but it's far from ideal yet.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't agree with people saying that Nintendo was ever bigoted or using their past games as an example. It is more that relationships were never that big a focus in previous Nintendo games and this Fire Emblem is meant to push the envelope in that department and it is a logical step forward. You could already pair two of same genders in previous FE games too. Just not beng called marriage. Marriage also had implication of childbirth too.

Ditto for Tomodachi Life which had very rudimentary marriage features and they didn't need to be called out as some bigots for it. I like the more even headed people who asked nicely.

But I disagree with this notion that Nintendo was ever actually against sexualities. I think we can celebrate the features of this game instead of unfairly bashing others. I am seriously worried about this idea that anything not strictly progressive is "bigoted". It doesn't work that way in games because so many games don't even flesh out hetero relationships in games. There is an issue of money and time to develop games. Not to mention game makers should have the freedom to make any kind of relationship types they want in a creative angle.

I am happy for this news. But I think people should not be so quick to condemn Nintendo so unfairly.

Last edited by Shippoyasha on Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
NormanS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't this game have the child of your character and the one you choose inherit both character's traits? i wonder how that will factor in.
Unless im thinking of the wrong game.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
it will be funny if they still censor cousins becoming couples instead of "companions" like in Awakening after this...
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
It's awesome that there will be an option to marry a character of the same gender. Smile All the more reason for myself to want to buy Fire Emblem Fates...
Paulo27

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
YumeHunter wrote:
Even though it's a small change when you only have two options but this is still a huge step up from Nintendo. Now I need to get this game!
Yes, I too will get this game for the gay marriage, what a revolutionary mechanic!
I will look even more forward to forcing characters which are probably heterosexual into marrying me because I'm the protagonist of a video game.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
This is actually not the first game to do that. See Great Greed.
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
YumeHunter wrote:
Yes, I too will get this game for the gay marriage, what a revolutionary mechanic!
I will look even more forward to forcing characters which are probably heterosexual into marrying me because I'm the protagonist of a video game.
What? I was planning on getting this game from the beginning but this news just made me more excited. Maybe I worded my sentance weirdly but still gosh. Confused
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I actually wasn't too personally offended by the lack of it in Awakening (given how the mechanics worked) but I still think this is a very welcome addition.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:

They're video game characters, calm down. It's not like a real person is being forced into a marriage against their will. & even then, I'd argue that it is far more common for a homosexual to be forced to enter a heterosexual marriage than the other way around.

Plus there is ONE character you can enter into a gay relationship with and ONE character you can enter into a lesbian relationship with. I really don't understand what you're so angry about?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5