• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hayao Miyazaki Criticizes Prime Minister Abe at Press Conference

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrimalX3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
His stance on the subject is correct. The path of peace is the only solution to a better world.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I prefer the Miyazaki that made movies, the miyazaki public personality that wants to be a politician without running for office is not as entertaining or influential as he thinks he is.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
PrimalX3 wrote:
His stance on the subject is correct. The path of peace is the only solution to a better world.

Yes, but how you go about peace is the issue. As much as pacifists may be reluctant to admit it, a lot of peace has been done throughout the ages by force.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't think a country in the world has obtained much of anything with peace. It sure sounds good on paper, though.

Last edited by KidOblivion on Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Peace is all well and good, but people keep forgetting that our enemies don't think the same way we do. Savages like ISIS and communist countries don't play by the same rules that civilized countries do. They will never listen to reason, you need to use force sometimes.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Evan Nausicca threatened to kill people to protect giant bugs.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Savages like ISIS and communist countries don't play by the same rules that civilized countries do.

That is a unwise stance to take. Such a narrow definition of "civilized" inevitably leads to a false sense of superiority. Enough people in my own country possess it so I recognize it.[/quote]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Peace is all well and good, but people keep forgetting that our enemies don't think the same way we do. Savages like ISIS and communist countries don't play by the same rules that civilized countries do. They will never listen to reason, you need to use force sometimes.

Yeah, being a peace loving hippy won't prevent China from taking your islands when they just suddenly feel like doing it. You can be devoted to peace all you want, but Japan doesn't have the luxury of being situated in Western Europe where border disputes and angry neighbors simply do not exist.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
The biggest problem is that you have to be ready for anything. No one knows what the future holds, and people constantly bicker about the past, so all you can do is prepare and hold your options open.

Mark Gosdin
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Si vis pacem, para bellum. Right now, China is a rising power, both economically and militarily. As can be expected, they're pushing the envelope to see what they can get away with and increasingly settling territorial disputes by fait accomplis; a thousand treaties mean nothing in comparison to ten ships. The fact of the matter is that the only way to get them to stop their expansion and solidifying their hold on the South China Sea is to make it not worth it; peaceful negotiation sounds great, right up until you can't even enter the area without being boarded and searched by the PLAN.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Paraphrasing Hellboy 2, which I am sure is based on some old philosophical phrase that is probably centuries old, ..... Humans are creatures with holes in their hearts that they can never fill and always want more. People just are inherently predisposed to fight, and its doesn't really have to do with technology or civilization as you will find fighting amongst tribes that still live like they did a hundred years ago, and you will find violence and fighting even amongst animals.

Chimpanzees are our closest relative, and their behavior shows it if you get past the rose tinting or Hollywood glamorization of them.

Its just how it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I love you Miyazaki sensei~
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
The people of Japan don't seem to know what they want. They need to make a choice. They need to either let things remain as they are and let the US be responsible their defense, allow the country to have a real military, or make the US leave, don't have a real military, and get used to China stepping all over them.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
ITT: A bunch of non-Japanese people pontificate about Japanese politics.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"I'm of the opposite way of thinking [compared to Abe]. I think it's impossible to stop China's expansion with military force, and Japan has a pacifist constitution in order to think of other solutions."

Such as...?
There's a reason Abe is Prime Minister and you make cartoons, Miyazaki. I'm surprised he can call a press conference just to go on a political rant. If he wants to do that, go to Twitter or Tumblr like everyone else. It's not even anything new; this is the same naive nonsense he always says.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5