• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKids to Release Ghibli's Only Yesterday in Theaters in N. America

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arsenette

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
YYYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

I am realistic in thinking that it won't do that well in the theaters but I'm more hopeful for a modest sized official home release here in the USA.. Ever since Justin brought it to my attention, I still think this is one of the best Ghibli films and certainly Takahata's best work. I'll be first in line to get the home release.. I'd love to replace my pirated copy with a brand new official release.. omg it's a great day!
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Day 1 purchase for me. I've been thinking of importing the Latin American release, but I'm glad I waited. Can't wait to pre-order it.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I guess that leaves only Ocean Waves then?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Like I have been saying about this dub, I hope it is good. I am glad to hear that GKids also has "the non-theatrical, home video, and television rights for the film" (this wording is weird). I will be sure to order a BD copy if the dub is well done.

Arsenette wrote:
I'd love to replace my pirated copy with a brand new official release

I don't know when you bought your pirated copy, but the recent Japanese BD release has English subtitles.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
It'll go a lot of business with old-school fans who want it to come over here for completion, but with non-fans?
About as well as From Up on Poppy Hill. Slice-of-life non-Miyazaki Ghibli just doesn't play that well.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news. One of the very best Ghibli films -- I'd even go as far as to say one of the great animated films of all time. Pretty ridiculous that some very grounded talk about *gasp *menstruation in a movie about being a woman has kept the film from being released stateside for so long. GKIDS rocks.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh I've never bought mine just downloaded. I don't ever buy pirated stuff.. kinda defeats the purpose and only supports the problem. It was never legally available in the USA. I don't buy imports, only region 1 official stuff to help support the domestic releases.

And yeah koinosuke, I can't believe Pixar didn't release it because of that one scene... I mean damn.. if it showed bleeding all over the place that's one thing.. but TALKING about a fact of life at that age? I found the reasoning absurd. I'd rather them say "we didn't think we'd make money so we didn't license it" than a stupid reason like someone talking about being picked on for having her period..
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I think they should strike while the iron's hot, and release it on home video this year. 'Cus next year, it'll be about Inside Out at the Oscars, instead of Takahata.

Spaceman: On Your Mark, too.

koinosuke: It's not a film which has broad appeal to begin with.

Arsenette: Pixar had nothing to do with it. And Disney didn't want it, because it didn't appeal to their tween buyers like Ghibli's other stuff.
Bonham

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Amazing news. Only Yesterday is Takahata's best film (though I still need to see Princess Kaguya). Might even prefer it to anything Miyazaki has done... I need to rewatch it again, and this will be a perfect chance to. Really want to see it on the big screen.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Nice, while I do have a U.K. DVD of the film, it will be nice to get a Region 1/A DVD/Blu-ray.
Also just from a technical lip-synching front I imagine making a dub for this film will be slightly harder than usual since unlike most anime the voice work was done before the animation, thus the animation is even more specific to the Japanese language lip movement than normal anime is.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
It's about time!

Television rights...if TCM is cool with it they should play the movie again, subbed and with the new English dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Hooray!
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
i thought they would release it straight on blu-ray... but instead in theaters? a 1991 movie?

didn't expect this
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Justin Sevakis and the guys at Colony Drop are gonna love this! I never thought I'd see the day that this film got released in the U.S.!
unitmikey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
*dances*

Been dying to see this period. But a theatrical release? What? Yes!

Very strange that they are releasing a rather old film in theaters though, so I'm assuming the other Ghibli stuff has done really well for them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3