• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mega Man Legacy Collection's Rey Jimenez

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
so much bullshit,especially about the Anniverssary Collection and this:

"And you can't switch weapons with the shoulder buttons either?

We considered that, and that was something I had requested. There were two ways to consider it. There was the authenticity part, and there was the convenience part. We decided against it for the same reasons we talked about before. The authenticity and also for the technology that we're using. "

you could have easily made it completely optional,benefitting those who want authenticity AND those who wanted the convenience.

And if he talks so much about authenticity,why is there 1080 resolution?those games weren't originally on such resolution,right?Why is there Trophies/Achievements?those didn't exist on those games originally,right?Why can we play all of them in a single package?Those games were made in separate carts and you had to buy each one of them.

Switching weapons with the shoulder buttons?No,that's crossing the line...
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Challenge mode sounds interesting, but not enough to repurchase those games again.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty disappointed with the Legacy Collection; while it looks a tad better and the challenges are kind of cool, there's less overall content than the older (and cheaper) Anniversary Collection and going to the effort to keep the slowdown is, for lack of a better string of words to describe my thoughts on it, dumb as hell. Hopefully one of these days Capcom will get smart and just port and completely translate the Rockman Complete Works series plus 7/8/9/10. As it is the Legacy Collection is a decent collection on its own, but if you're able I'd recommend getting the Anniversary Collection if you want a cheap way to do your classic jump'n'shootan (the PS2 version anyways, avoid the GameCube version at all costs) or the Rockman Complete Works games off PSN (1-4 are on the U.S. PSN, you'll have to figure out your way through the Japanese PSN to get 5 and 6) if you don't mind throwing around some extra cheddar.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I played metalman's stage when I was at PAX the other day, and yeah the flicker/slowdown in the first section is 100% spot-on accurate to the original nintendo.

But it's kind of pointless when I'm playing using an xbox controller, you know?

I agree with the above comment that this interview was full of doublespeak and self-contradictory. If you want to preserve the original game's authenticity, then feel free to put in a "100% authentic" setting. But don't use that as an excuse to not do any work to make the game(s) worth our money to re-purchase.
I used to make my own "challenge mode" playing the games by purposefully doing bosses in strange orders, or not allowing myself to use certain weapons, etc... Just having people complete certain sections exactly as they are in normal mode is not very interesting at all... And leaderboards will end up dominated by people taking advantage of clipping bugs and warping...
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
I was pretty disappointed with the Legacy Collection; while it looks a tad better and the challenges are kind of cool, there's less overall content than the older (and cheaper) Anniversary Collection and going to the effort to keep the slowdown is, for lack of a better string of words to describe my thoughts on it, dumb as hell. Hopefully one of these days Capcom will get smart and just port and completely translate the Rockman Complete Works series plus 7/8/9/10. As it is the Legacy Collection is a decent collection on its own, but if you're able I'd recommend getting the Anniversary Collection if you want a cheap way to do your classic jump'n'shootan (the PS2 version anyways, avoid the GameCube version at all costs) or the Rockman Complete Works games off PSN (1-4 are on the U.S. PSN, you'll have to figure out your way through the Japanese PSN to get 5 and 6) if you don't mind throwing around some extra cheddar.

The NES MM games in the Anniverssary Collection were the PS1 Complete Works port...but translated!
Seriously,they should have just used the Complete Works as a base to make this.The extra stuff were completely optional and didn't ruin the so-called "authenticity" that Mr.Jimenez seemed so fixated for this collection.

And by the way,what did he mean by the point of the Anniverssary Collection wasn't to archive?Sure it had its flaws,like the credits scene of MM7 being cut(seriously,they couldn't port the Mode 7 effects of that scene onto a PS2/GC?); MM8 not being the superior Saturn version; not having Megaman & Bass; and I think it wouldn't have hurt including the Game Boy games(which were going to be in the Anniverssary Collection version of the Game Boy Advance,but they cancelled that...); the Wily Wars Genesis remakes of MM1-MM3 and its exclusive Wily Tower levels, but besides that,it was a pretty good collection.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:58 am Reply with quote
Don't forget the PC version requires a 64-bit PC to run this, despite the games doesn't require such kind of CPU, as they're not graphic-intensive like many modern games.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:02 am Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:

That, to me, is exactly why trying this makes sense: those versions going for content over perfect authenticity are already out there.

I am, admittedly, squarely in the target demographic for this sort of thing - I collect retro games to play and for the most part don't bother with emulation for home consoles anymore, unless there's some special reason (like if M2 put it together). I just like knowing for sure I'm playing the original version. But I know one day, the giant CRT TV I play these on will break, and the backup giant CRT TV I have ready to go when that breaks will also break, and it won't be possible to get another one, and the game systems and carts will too fall victim to the passage of time at some point, so I appreciate efforts like this to ensure accurate versions of games can be preserved and made available for as close to perpetuity as possible.

p.s. This is me IRL
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1