• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm sort of part of the official welcome squad so welcome to ANN. I give out little mystery wlecome bags and words of wisdom to help ya feel more at home here. Those will have to wait til lateer as I need to leave soon to prep stuff for the 90 people I'm catering for tomorrow. Making Steamship Round and Chicken Kiev for 90 is not easy...minus all the other stuff...let Sunday come quickly lol. So I'll welcome you more properly later. Until then enjoy your time here.
fuzzychief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote
No voddas, unfortunatly I was born here in Arkansas Wink . Most of my family are of Irish dsecent with some French and Cherokee I think. There's alot of red hair in my family and it seems that I didn't get that. I'm weird that way I guess. on the topic of Seed and Destiny, Seed was atleast tolarable. The thing I didn't like about Seed was that almost all the characters looked the same, sans haircut and haircolor. I saw Seed after seeing the original Gundam, so when I watched Seed, it seemed to be a rehashing of the original with brighter colors. Another thing about both Seed and Destiny I didn't like was that some characters should be dead four times over! I don't mean that they had close calls, I mean when your reactor vaporizes half your mobile suit, you should be dead! Enough of a rant. Seed isn't that bad if you dont mind what I mentioned. Seed goes into it's own plot in the second half. Destiny is the one to stay away from. Now keep in mind this is my opinion, so go watch what you want. It's always good to see somthing even if it's bad. Atleast you know to steer clear of it in the future Mr. Green .
Code Geass looks intresting. On the cover of August's Newtype they feature Code Geass. For somereason the mecha in the background reminds me of Eva Unit 00.
Thanks to everyone who is welcoming me to here at ANN. Thanks
And now a parting word from Brian Griffin. "Who's leg do I have to hump around here to get a dry martini!" Anime smile
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Alrighty, as promised here are the proper welcomes I owe Xenofan 29A and fuzzychief. Welcome to ANN, hopefully our insanity can rub off on you. Wink Hope you learn something new, or just realize how scary anime fans really are lol. As part of the proper welcome process I must give you guys your official mystery welcome bags. ::hands them both a brown bag:: In your bags you'll find the outer flakey shell from a half dozen heads of garlic, just the stems from a bunch of broccoli, some shredded construction paper, and the boiled eyes from an Opah fish. Enjoy. Remember though; Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.
Ruri-chan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Hello! I did this in the Manga section. Thought I should do one here as well:

Name: Susan
Sex:Female
Blood Type: O+
Marital Status: In a serious relationship
Ethnicity: Korean
Religion: Non-denominational Christian
Pets: 2 cats
Likes: Books, food, manga, anime, cats, music, movies, the occasional party, sleeping
Dislikes: broccoli (I detest it), people who are rude and have no manners, horror movies
Favorite anime: Fushigi Yuugi, FullMetal, Azumanga Daioh, Honey & Clover, Koko ha Greenwood
Favorite Manga (Light novels):Host Club, Hama Kimi, Antique Bakery, Petshop of Horrors, NANA
Favorite Books: Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series, Xanth novels, Harry Potter series, Chronicles of Narnia, Mists of Avalon
Favorite game: Final Fantasy, Katamari Damacy series, Loco Roco, Rachet and Clank
Favorite TV shows/Movies: Project Runway, 300, Family Guy, Lost, The Devil Wears Prada
Drink: R&C, red heads, chocolate martinis
Smoke: My sinuses like to go haywire around smoke
Non-Alcoholic Drink: Water, coffee
Favorite Foods: Korean dishes, Chocolate
Favorite Sites: ANN, LiveJournal, Nana-Nana.net, Animelyrics.com, ANN-FF
Favorite Sport (to play): Volleyball, frisbee
Favorite Music: Anime music (depending), Yuna Ito, Shinhwa, Josh Groban, Michael Buble, Il Divo
Job: Office coordinator of a speech therapy clinic
Hobbies: singing, reading, sleeping
Things about me or Fun facts:
My major is Marine Biology
I saved a kitten a week ago
My new musical obsession is Avenue Q

Pictures:
I realized I didn't have too many of me because I'm taking the pictures, but here's one:
Me at IHOP
fuzzychief

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the welcome. As for scarry anime fans go, that's been conditioned out of me by the anime club that I'm a part of Wink , although the con that we went to (my first) there were no paddle-weilding yaoi girls...
and thats a good thing.
Again, thanks for the welcome.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
*Clutches bag feverishly*

Oh, don't worry, I'm not easily scared. But...I may end up scaring people, or perhaps, scarring them!!!!!

Thanks for the welcome.
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:19 am Reply with quote
Woohoo! My first ever post on the ANN Forums! Been ghosting around for a couple of years but never actually bothered to register 'till now.
So yeah...hi everyone and it's nice to meet you all!

Name: Joy
Sex: Female
Blood Type: A
Location: Used to live in Taipei, Taiwan but now in Auckland, New Zealand (the official "butt end" of the world!) Lived half my life in each country actually.
Ethnicity: Asian
Marital Status: Single
Religion: Agnostic
Pets: None at the moment, but have had rabbits, fish, mice, Guinea pigs and quails.
Drink/Smoke: Well...in view of how I've just reached the legal drinking age I'm still tentative 'bout it and as for smoking...dying of lung cancer isn't one of my lifelong ambitions : )
Likes: Chocolate, Japanese and Italian food, animals, music, TV/films, reading, doodling, kayaking, classics/European history, sarcasm/satires/parodies and of course, anime and manga!
Dislikes: Copycats, hypocrites, and uncool text language (lol's and lmao's anyone?)
Favourite anime: Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Wolf's Rain, Gankutsuou, 12 Kingdoms, Ergo Proxy, Trigun and Le Chevalier D'Eon, Satoshi Kon movies etc.
Favourite Manga: Haven't read that many...Level E, Monster, Alichino and Angel Sanctuary perhaps.
Favourite Movies/TV Drama: The Gladiator, The Matrix (the 1st one), Chocolat, Twelfth Night, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Peter Jackson's Heavenly Creatures (in all seriousness this is WAY better than LOTR and King Kong). HBO's Rome and BBC's (?) Elizabeth.
Favourite Games: The Fire Emblem series.

Misc Facts:
* I have a SCUBA diver's license.
* I'm short-sighted and wear glasses a lot of the time.
* I really admire Jane Goodall, Michael Moore and Catherine the Great (yes it's true!) Embarassed
* I have studied Spanish for 4 years, though for what purpose I still don't know (our school didn't have Italian or Latin Crying or Very sad !)
* I'm currently studying towards a zoology degree in uni but hope to apply for vet next year.

Last edited by nightmaregenie on Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaZ616

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:41 am Reply with quote
I wonder if there are any Famous Celebrities that go on ANN.

..Quit lurking around and POST! Very Happy

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Arcwave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Hi ANN!

My name is Jesse and I'm very happy to be apart of this wonderful and friendly community. I have always been looking for a forum that dealed directly with news associated anime!

I guess I will elaborate on myself a little: I am a 19 year old identical triplet; and my brothers and I make films. Our company is called Trico Films. We have worked exclusively with multi Emmy Award-winning film composer, Carl Johnson on a few of our films, and have recently been introduced to video game composer, Jeremy Soule. We have also been introduced to Lucasfilm, ltd, Microsoft Studios, and PBS in the past.

I love anime. My brothers and I have always been into it since we were about 9 (around the time when the SciFi Channel was airing their late-night anime runs in the mid to late 90's). I started off watching classics such as DBZ and Gundam, but moved on to more sophisticated shows later. I actually just finished Neon Genesis Evangelion and End of Evangelion for my first time a few days ago (in Japanese w/ subs --the best way to watch IMO). And I have to say.. that show emotionally drained me. Such a masterpiece, indeed. I can't wait for Rebuild of Evangelion. Hopefully that makes it to the U.S. shortly after its initial release in Japan.

So yeah, enough of me... I'm happy to join you guys and hope to stay in touch on the forum. You guys rule! Kamehameha! Cool.

EDIT: If any of you guys are interested in our work, please check us out at www.tricofilms.com

/j

Last edited by Arcwave on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to ANN Jesse and I must say, you sound like an interesting person. I hope that you have a fun time joining all of us. Also I would hope to see your Wonder Triplet Powers activate if that isn't too much trouble. Smile
Arcwave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
LuckySleven wrote:
Also I would hope to see your Wonder Triplet Powers activate if that isn't too much trouble. Smile

Hah! Thanks for your interest in my brothers and I. I'll see if I can work my magic sometime. Hehe. Smile

/j
larinon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quote
I've been here a while, as you can see from my join date, but only in the past couple months have I started becoming more active. I figured I might as well introduce myself. (thanks to those above whose survey forms I've copied - mainly Ruri-chan Smile)

Name: Joey
Sex: Male
Blood Type: A+
Dislikes: People who have no concept of what's going on around them (like when they're driving, or in the grocery store, in class, etc.)
Favorite Anime: Rahxephon, Azumanga Daioh, Lain, Love Hina, School Rumble, Ai Yori Aoshi, Spirited Away.
Favorite Manga: Negima, Psychic Academy, Death Note, Genshiken
Favorite Authors: Douglas Adams, JRR Tolkien, Anne McCaffrey, Terry Pratchett, David Eddings, JK Rowling, Mercedes Lackey.
Favorite Games: Fallout series, Left4Dead series, GTA series, Half Life 2, Portal series, and Skyrim. Yep, I'm a PC gamer.
Favorite TV shows: Firefly, Venture Bros, Robot Chicken, Futurama, Revolution.
Favorite Movies: Star Wars, Monty Python & the Holy Grail, Hoodwinked, Serenity, Pump Up the Volume. Guilty Pleasure: Tremors.
Drink: Very rarely, at weddings and such.
Smoke: Not at all, allergic.
Non-Alcoholic Drink: Root Beer, Skim Milk, instantly flavored water (Mio, etc).
Favorite Foods: Pizza, white chocolate, pringles.
Favorite Sites: ANN, Bash.org, Penny Arcade, 49ers.com, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal Comics, and Facebook I guess.
Favorite Music: Trance, Ambient, Drum & Bass, Older(1990s) Alternative, and various anime music including anything by Yuki Kajiura.
Job: Associate Professor of Mathematics
Hobbies: Creating music, watching metric tons of anime.
Fun facts:I've coordinated our college anime club for almost *nine years* now, and I think I'm starting to get a clue about what I'm doing. I have a master's degree in mathematics (not sure most would consider that a "fun" fact). I marathoned Love Hina this past weekend. Again. I sometimes use the word marathon as a verb.
Picture: Here's a recent pic of me when I should be sleeping, but am instead staying up late posting on a message board.

Other Updates:
My DVD Shelves (as of 6/14/09)
My Manga Shelves (as of 6/2/08)
(There are more recent and better pictures available in the Subscriber forums)

Personal Website
Midland College Anime Club's Website

More recent picture.
Future blackmail photo?

Facebook
Facebook Musician's page
(check out some of my work?)

Twitter, for what it's worth.

Last edited by larinon on Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm; edited 11 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Arcwave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:36 am Reply with quote
Wow! A math instructor that likes anime? Awesome! I'm new, too, so welcome to the forum (even though you've been here for awhile)!

/j
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:58 am Reply with quote
Oh, I suppose I should do this too since I haven't yet...

Name: Jerry

Sex: Male

Age: Just turned 40 Crying or Very sad I thought making that number really small would somehow make it less painful.

Um. Yeah. Not working...

Religion: Raised Catholic, but I'm not much into organized religion.

Drink: Oh, yes please. What are we having? Actually, I don't drink much.

Smoke: Ewwww.

Likes: Lots of stuff (aside from anime): Travel, very amateur photography (preferably at the same time), hanging out with friends, road trips (I love to drive), learning new things. Why is this question so hard to answer?

Dislikes: Stupid, ignorant, mean, annoying people. They are why I had to get out of retail before I went crazy. On a related note, I loathe WalMart.

Favorite Anime: Haibane Renmei, Kino's Journey, Azumanga Daioh, Gunslinger Girl, and I've only seen the first disc so far but Mushishi is looking promising.

Favorite Manga: Mushishi. It's my least favorite too. In fact, it's the only manga I have read even one complete volume of.

Favorite Games: Cribbage. Pinochle. I can play cards for hours. For video games I liked Final Fantasy Tactics both on the Playstation and the Gameboy Advance. I'm looking forward to the PSP version.

Favorite Drink: Diet Coke. With caffeine in the morning and without later in the day.

Favorite Foods: Chocolate. Everything else is a pretty distant second. I just wish they could come out with a chocolate that has the nutritional value of broccoli. Not that I dislike broccoli, but it's just not chocolate now is it? I also like a lot of Japanese food, Lebanese food (it's similar to Greek), and if I'm going to eat a big meal out I'd pick breakfast over anything else.

Favorite Sport: I'd much rather be playing sports than watching them, but I'll sit down to a Seahawks (American football), or Mariners (baseball) game now and then. I loved to play (American) football when I was in school, but there's not much opportunity any more. I'd like to find a softball or (soccer) football team to play on but instead I just ride my bike a lot.

Favorite Authors: I love to read and my tastes are pretty varied. It's hard to pick a favorite but some that I enjoy are: Gabriel Garcia Marquez (especially his short stories), Charles Dickens, Mark Twain. When I want something less literature-ish: Anne McCaffrey, David Eddings, Steven Greenleaf, Susan Cooper.

Favorite Movies: Unforgiven, El Norte, The Milagro Beanfield War, Mystery Men (cheesy goodness), and I have to admit to being a Star Wars fan.

Fun facts about me: Uhhhhhh....

Random facts about me:
- I visited friends living in Japan in 2001, loved it, got interested in the culture and history, decided to study Japanese, and ended up with a nasty anime addiction.
- When in college I spent a semester abroad at ITAM (Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México) in Mexico City. I lived with a Mexican family and generally had a great time.
- I speak passable (but very rusty) Spanish, and what I guess you could call survival level Japanese.
- I gradually got really fat during my 20s and early 30s and a couple years ago decided I was sick of being the poster child for overweight America. So after a rather scary but quite motivational conversation with my doctor I lost 100 pounds. I'm in better shape now than I was 15 years ago.
- When it's not dark or raining (which given where I live can be rare) I like to ride at least 20 miles a day on my bike.
- I'm told I make wicked good baklava. One of my grandmothers was Lebanese and I make her family recipe every year around Christmas. My hummus is pretty good too, but that's hard to screw up.
- If you are still really interested, there's a lot more in this post from a while back.
Arcwave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:33 am Reply with quote
ManOfRust, where abouts are you in the Seattle area? I reside in Monroe, but go to the University of Washington-Bothell campus.

/j
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 233