• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Prince of Tennis Adapted as Live-Action Drama in China

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuni_kuni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote
I heard this a few days ago from the PoT LiveJournal community. I was pretty surprised to hear about a Chinese adaptation, though.

I'm not into the whole Asian dramas thing, but I'll probably watch it anyway. Hopefully it's better than the live-action movie, 'cause that was just...yeah.
roujin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote
This will probably be another really surreal (at least in my opinion) adaptation of a manga/anime. I'll probably watch it for the very same reason.
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
FRICK.

This will be awesomely terrible and terribly awesome.

I've never heard of CHINA (not Taiwan) adapting live-action drama versions of manga... (also, doesn't politics get in the way?) although I think they did movies? I can't wait to see.
ohnospagettios

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I read somewhere that the reality show was for the purpose of creating a boyband. That doesn't bode well for the acting. Laughing

It should be fun, regardless. It's Prince of Tennis, after all. How serious can it be, really?
poehitman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't be more boring than the anime.
becharm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:51 pm Reply with quote
that sux, if HK decide to do it then it maybe be ok. However, I only support the Japanese live action version.

The movie was pretty good, although too short. Crying or Very sad
Roy9076

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Japan has a live action of Prince of Tennis.
China will be having a live action of Prince of Tennis.
Now I wonder if Korea will be jumping in sometime in the years. xD
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
domino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Given the quality (or lack thereof) of other Chinese dramas, this should be... "special".

I want to check it out, but honestly hate the sound of Chinese, so I'm torn between watching and not watching. I'm tempted to cry "I wish it was a live action Japanese version!", but then I remember the Japanese live action Prince of Tennis movie and shudder.

What surprised me most about this article, though, was that it was only last year that Prince of Tennis aired in China. It seems like it's been wildly popular among Chinese fans for a long time (a friend took a picture of normal everyday clothing stores carrying Seigaku jerseys alongside other clothing as if it were just as "in style"), so I assumed it had been on the air for a long time there.
Dingé

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:12 am Reply with quote
domino wrote:
What surprised me most about this article, though, was that it was only last year that Prince of Tennis aired in China. It seems like it's been wildly popular among Chinese fans for a long time (a friend took a picture of normal everyday clothing stores carrying Seigaku jerseys alongside other clothing as if it were just as "in style"), so I assumed it had been on the air for a long time there.

China has a pretty enormous community of fansubbers, as well.
Raoh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:11 am Reply with quote
Roy9076 wrote:
Japan has a live action of Prince of Tennis.
China will be having a live action of Prince of Tennis.
Now I wonder if Korea will be jumping in sometime in the years. xD

By that train of thought, do you believe that with the recent Transformers movie, we can expect to see a Go Bots movie coming? Very Happy
blackheart2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:29 pm Reply with quote
i'm looking to seeing that.
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:40 am Reply with quote
After reading this article, I think that one of the main reasons I have loved this series for so long, aside from its awesomely large cast of unique and quirky characters, is because of the fact that it has such a large franchise. If you are up-to-date with the manga, there's the anime; if you are up-to-date with the anime, there are the musicals, the movie, and now this live-action drama. Personally, I don't really care where it's being produced simply because it's The Prince of Tennis, so even if it's incredibly cheesy, the fun and utter crack are what made me love this series to begin with. You can bet your anime and manga fandom that I will be watching this drama.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1