• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are OVAs Formatted Like TV Episodes?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I think the easier explanation for why Gunbuster was done that way, and then Diebuster, is because Anno's just weird and this entire anime career is based off repurposing and retroengineering the 70s.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if OVAs lasting more than an hour are still a thing these days?
I've noticed that OVA-formatted shows are seemingly very rare, if not nonexistent, now.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
OVAs that aren't attached to bigger series as sequels or bridges between seasons are very rare because the late night TV market basically supplanted the need for it. And if you were going to put enough money into it, then you'd just opt for a series of films instead (Break Blade, Towa no Quon, Mardock Scramble, etc.) You can get extremely gory or pervy in both those market and cover more controversial material. For TV, the downside is cheaper production budgets per episode, but the upside is more immediate episodes by week rather that needing to wait months between each for a total of only maybe 4 to 6.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I wonder if OVAs lasting more than an hour are still a thing these days?

That doesn't happen too often, but the last episode of Gundam Unicorn is a recent example. It clocks in at almost an hour and a half.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
And if you were going to put enough money into it, then you'd just opt for a series of films instead (Break Blade, Towa no Quon, Mardock Scramble, etc.)
You can get extremely gory or pervy in both those market and cover more controversial material.

{Edit: It seems all you did was copy/paste part of a post from right above. You didn't actually add anything of your own. Moving forward you need to post your own thoughts and not just copy/paste the posts of others. Thank you. ~ Psycho 101}
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:57 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
OVAs that aren't attached to bigger series as sequels or bridges between seasons are very rare because the late night TV market basically supplanted the need for it. And if you were going to put enough money into it, then you'd just opt for a series of films instead (Break Blade, Towa no Quon, Mardock Scramble, etc.) You can get extremely gory or pervy in both those market and cover more controversial material. For TV, the downside is cheaper production budgets per episode, but the upside is more immediate episodes by week rather that needing to wait months between each for a total of only maybe 4 to 6.

Late night anime doesn't pay enough to be able to do lavish OVAs like the Japanese did during the eighties and nineties. It's more reasonable to say that the OVA market for all intents and purposes has died. The very few exceptions are mega buck productions that need a cinema release to be viable (like Yamato 2199) or have a mega franchise behind it like Gundam Unicorn. Outside of these niches you simply don't get the OVA quality in anime these days.

{Edit: Leave out the personal insults when making a point from now on. I removed the one from this post.~ Psycho 101}
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:25 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
It's more reasonable to say that the OVA market for all intents and purposes has died.

What?

Winter 2015 OVAs:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=calendar&ova=1&last.anime.year=2015&last.anime.month=13&h=1&do.update=update&do=calendar

Spring 2015 OVAs:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=calendar&ova=1&last.anime.year=2015&last.anime.month=16&h=1&do.last.anime=Show&do=calendar

Summer 2015 OVAs:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=calendar&ova=1&last.anime.year=2015&last.anime.month=19&h=1&do.last.anime=Show&do=calendar

Autumn 2015 OVAs:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=calendar&ova=1&last.anime.year=2015&last.anime.month=22&h=1&do.last.anime=Show&do=calendar

Granted, maybe half are attached to a series, and some are OVAs for manga without a TV show, but the OVA market has not "died". It's just that TV anime productions have grown much faster.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:38 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I think the easier explanation for why Gunbuster was done that way, and then Diebuster, is because Anno's just weird and this entire anime career is based off repurposing and retroengineering the 70s.

Wasn't Gunbuster originally planned to be a TV series?

Anyway, first time I ever saw Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket was on NHK BS-2's annual anime festival, which featured a lot of OVAs.
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:55 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Granted, maybe half are attached to a series, and some are OVAs for manga without a TV show, but the OVA market has not "died". It's just that TV anime productions have grown much faster.

Most of those are OADs or disc release bonus episodes, though. At least I wouldn't really call them OVAs in the traditional "stand-alone-release" sense, because they're just bonus content added to some other product. And the Japanese don't call them that either.

Stuff that's released in theaters first, like Kuroshitsuji: Book of Murder, is another story.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:29 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
but the OVA market has not "died".

But, would you really call it "alive"? Of course, I don't really know how many OVAs, in the past, were released each year...that were stand alone releases or original material. From my POV, I'd say that the OVA market is a zombie, if it's not dead. Laughing

The links you posted interested me, so I decided to take a look. There are 33 OVAs listed there. 27 of those are bundled with something else, be it a manga/novel volume, ticket purchase, game, model or it was aired at an event.

1 on that list is a BD/DVD extra.

The remaining 5 are getting/had an independent release(s). Though, 3 of those (Tokyo Ghoul, Nyaruko-san, and Strike the Blood) are based on properties that have had an anime TV series in the last few years. Gakuen Handsome and Cyborg 009 v Devilman don't fall into that category, but are based on pre-existing properties.

The only original OVA is Magical Suit Prism Nana.

Ah, and reading through that made me see Haiyore! Nyaruko-san F...the disc release didn't have English subtitles, right? *Sigh* Want to see that, but doubt NISA is going to bring over 1 OVA...even if it is the actual end for the anime...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
The Kiddy Grade movies took it up to 11 and added a bunch of new eyecatch-style stills (albeit with a bit of panning added for some), despite being theatrical and assembled from a TV series that already had a full set of 48 eyecatches.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:09 am Reply with quote
#846323 wrote:
And if you were going to put enough money into it, then you'd just opt for a series of films instead (Break Blade, Towa no Quon, Mardock Scramble, etc.)
You can get extremely gory or pervy in both those market and cover more controversial material.

well that is the case for OVAs in this generation that are based off of some anime series. they basically using those OVAs since their not canon material to go into uber fanservice mode at times. and considering their not broadcasted into tv sets, censorship is usually persona non grata.

Quote:
But then again, even hentai OVAs (Urotsukidoji) have gotten international theatrical runs, so you really never know.

not quite. back then the unedited versions of kite , mezzo forte and even la blue girl have very limited theatrical runs towards the point that most people didn't know.

so while your right about really never knowing what type of OVA can run, afraid the odds of the current 18+ OVAs getting the same treatment of urotsukidoji is zero. in other words, fat chance of that ever happening again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KingKhai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:29 am Reply with quote
Can anyone please tell me what anime is that shown on this article's thumbnail picture? The one with the orange astronaut thing among massive graveyard.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:45 am Reply with quote
KingKhai wrote:
Can anyone please tell me what anime is that shown on this article's thumbnail picture? The one with the orange astronaut thing among massive graveyard.

Dallos. The first OAV ever (if memories serves me well)
KingKhai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
KingKhai wrote:

Dallos. The first OAV ever (if memories serves me well)

Holy sh!t its by Mamoru Oshii!?
Thanks man! Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2