• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Straight Outta Compton's Jonathan Herman to Rework Dreamworks' Ghost in the Shell Script

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
Still need a better director than the one they have. I can't see it being anymore than being generic sci-fi action schlock.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
None of these name seem to fit the project... I guess Johansson could sorta pull Motoko (ignoring the obvious non Asian part, but I'm assuming the movie is not set in japan).

How do these decision even happen?

-"We need someone to touch up the script of an action heavy sci-fi with some philosophy"

-"How about that guy, his last movie was about a rap band"

-"Genius!"
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
It's more likely it's that he received a reputation for writing a well-acclaimed, high-box-office, intelligent story with a gritty setting and with hardboiled characters. That's the strongest connection I can think of.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, say what you will, but Straight Outta Compton did very well commercially and critically.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
And it became a meme! Laughing

• As with Ghost in the Shell, Herman was brought in to do an overhaul on the long-gestating Straight Outta Compton, writing the draft that got the go-ahead from Universal. The film became a surprise late-summer hit for the studio and is nearing the $200 million mark worldwide.

Herman wrote a new draft of the Scarface remake in the works at Universal. He also is currently in development on The Demonologist and The Birds remake at Universal.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
None of these name seem to fit the project... I guess Johansson could sorta pull Motoko (ignoring the obvious non Asian part, but I'm assuming the movie is not set in japan).

How do these decision even happen?

-"We need someone to touch up the script of an action heavy sci-fi with some philosophy"

-"Genius!"

Yep, that's how "Flavor of the Month" works.
(And it seemed like such a great idea at the time when Fox wanted to hire a new indie cult-movie director to do a big-budget superhero movie, just because he'd done the big breakout critical hit of the moment...)
When the GITS producers saw the Compton writer, they didn't think "Rap", they thought "Urban thriller" and "Oscar buzz...Get him now and first, while he's cheap!" (Compton's still going to be steamrollered by the Pixar movie, though.)

As it is, I still see Johansson in the role, and think it was only envisioned as another generic whitewashed empowerment-fantasy "sandbox" movie for another A-list actress to spend a couple of fun weeks running around and playing badass-cops-and-robbers in.
IOW, "Lucy", only less French. Rolling Eyes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

enurtsol wrote:
And it became a meme! Laughing
    Herman wrote a new draft of the Scarface remake in the works at Universal. He also is currently in development on The Demonologist and The Birds remake at Universal.

They're STILL doing a Scarface remake? Last I'd heard of it was the previous script draft three years ago on a viewer-interest survey--which studios usually do to back off their bets on disasters-in-the-making--where it was going to bear absolutely no resemblance to the Pacino movie (except for the obvious geek-gasm refs), be reset in the Mexican drug cartels, and throw in a crazy subplot where the titular scar was some prophecy of our hero's "destiny".

One can see why they're redrafting it Shocked , but no crazy abandoned script draft is ever truly lost in the final script...Oh, and at the time, they also asked us what other 70's-80's action movies we wanted to see rebooted: Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Die Hard or Magnificent Seven?
That was literally an industry cry for help--"Help" as in "We've forgotten how to make action movies! Why don't domestic US audiences go to see action movies anymore, like they did back in the old days?"

(Oh, and the Birds thing was some looney Michael Bay idea they never got around to throwing out at New Line, so it sat around, got moldy, mutated, and was picked up by Universal during one of their icon-happy moments...)

{Combined serial posts. ~nobahn}
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Rap band?

NWA are a "rap band"?

Like seriously Mad
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga: Yeah, but it works, because it's based off a true story.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
This is not going to end well.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:29 am Reply with quote
When keepin it real goes wrong.
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
back to the depths of development hell you go!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1