• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Fatal Frame 5: Maiden of Black Water

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j Talbain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
I played the first couple of levels in the demo. It's a new WiiU game... However it's far from awesome. I'd tell anyone download the demo and see what you think before getting this game. Might not be for everyone.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
Being linear sounds better in my book. I wasted way too much time and "ammo" (since at least in the first one most ghosts seemed to be random encounters) when I played the first FF because the "photo puzzles" got ridiculous over time. It's a BIG mansion but I'm supposed to apparently remember every little detail of each room since it could pop up in a picture so I'll need to backtrack to find it. Silent Hill IMHO is the only horror series that made its puzzle solving generally reasonable. So if this new Fatal Frame wants to focus less on that I'm all for it. I find it takes away from the horror and ambiance if my attention is focused on solving a puzzle for way too long.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
Well this seems like it's another game that's not quite so ready to evolve into the fast pace of FPS game. It reminds me of resident evil 5 and 6, sure they were a lot easier with ammo everywhere but the game wasn't survival horror anymore. I for one loved/hated the autosave feature since it eliminated the frantic fear of dying to a random surprise zombie or those damn dogs, till you backtracked or found yourself a typewriter.
I'd have liked if there was the option to choose a 'survival' mode where the condition are identical or close to the original with sparse healing items, ammo but you get more points to upgrade your camera as a tradeoff. If you're playing the 'easy' mode chances are you're either bad at the game(let me tell you'd I'd have killed for an easy mode in fatal frame 1) or you just wanna casually go through the story kinda like a theater mode with lots of jumpscares but no 'real' threat (unless you're hilariously bad Razz)

The linear plot does seem like a plus, funny story (skip to the end if you just want to read the story) is that I bought FF Crimson butterfly about 2 years after the first model of ps3 came out with backwards compatibility. Played it for a long time then stiff happened so I had to leave it unfinished for a few days, which became weeks then months. Picked it back up and I had no idea what the f*** I was doing or where I was planning on going, or what part of the story I was at so I couldn't even look it up on a walkthrough so I just said screw it and left it for a while aka a few months. Went back to it same problem so I said screw it I just wanna know how this ends so I can start 3 so I found a game save and converted it to the ps3's virtual memory card (and let me tell you that was a real pain) and powered on through. Played consecutively for some nights and then I stopped, not sure why but several months later I was back where I started cept this time I was further into the game. I cursed the game for being so damn confusing though I know it's just my peeve of wanting to fully appreciate all the story pieces in the right order in the way the game intended. So the games still on my shelf, think I'm at chapter 3 or something God knows how many time I've restarted and Fatal frame 3 is still on my shelf still in its shrink wrap... Ya know seeing as it's Halloween perhaps I should get it out.
The condensed version : a button that tells you exactly where to go at any point of the game? Hallelujah
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Having just finished the game, I found it to be very effective as a horror game, going for slow-building, atmospheric tension. The areas are definitely drenched in dread, all abandoned temples, eerie forests, and flooded ruins. The latter in particular helps build the impression of decay, like nature itself is taking back the mountain and bringing trouble with it. The ghosts are also plenty freaky, especially the Tall Woman who has NO EXPLANATION FOR WHAT SHE IS.

As for gameplay, the only REALLY annoying parts being those phantom hands had grab you whenever you go for items. The game already has enough, no need to add an extra part to picking up a roll of film. I also can't agree on linearity, as exploration is more about knowing where you should go, but deciding to go off the beaten path to find things. Giving people direction is not a negative (unless you give them nothing BUT one direction in the case of, say, FFXIII). Everything else was fine, the Gamepad working great as a Camera Obscura and the atmosphere helps punctuate the creepiness. Worth checking out at least (though the first two chapters are really setup, so it takes a bit to get moving).
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Fatal Frame 1 through 3 are excellent games in my opinion.

I'm glad Fatal Frame lives on in some way, even if it's not as good as before, because for years it looked like the series was totally dead.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:49 am Reply with quote
Seems we spent more of the game looking at the controller screen than on our glorious big screen Laughing

And we like our girls sexy when they're in peril
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1