• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: When Marnie Was There, Boy and the Beast, Laws of the Universe Submitted For Animated Feature

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if When Marnie Was There gets the nomination but ultimately any of these films will lose to Inside Out. XP
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
The Boy and The Beast must win.
Random 21

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Hoping The Boy and the Beast gets the nomination but yeah no matter what gets nominated (if any), they've all already lost to Minio- er I mean Inside Out.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Did anybody actually watch the Laws of the Universe? I saw the trailer for the first film a while back but I remember it to be nothing but a pretentious film with an over-dramatic plot line.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
Did anybody actually watch the Laws of the Universe? I saw the trailer for the first film a while back but I remember it to be nothing but a pretentious film with an over-dramatic plot line.

It's a propaganda film by Happy Science, as far as I know. There are a couple of those around. I have yet to watch them, but to me they sounded generic or cheese and mediocre, but with a totally stupid ending that's preaching the Happy Science teachings.

(I might be wrong, though!)
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
The people who choose have repeatedly proven they have no interest in animated films due to being too old, crochety, and hung up on themselves to even watch any of the movies. So no matter what wins its always a hollow victory.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Inside Out not winning or not even being nominated would be worse than what they did they the Lego Movie last year, but I'd liked to see at least see Spongebob and Marnie be nominated. Marnie for obvious reason, but also Spongebob for being pretty dang humorous and daring to actually have 2D animation these days.
Blue21

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't it have been smarter to wait til next year to submit Boy and Beast and Laws of the Universe? They haven't even been released in the USA. Could they be submitted again next year?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:

Wouldn't it have been smarter to wait til next year to submit Boy and Beast and Laws of the Universe? They haven't even been released in the USA. Could they be submitted again next year?

Movies have until the end of the year to do their required one-week commercial theater run to be eligible.

And no, they can't be submitted again next year - the yearly Oscars pertains to the year a film is released.
hellsingfan01

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Inside Out for best animated picture and When Marnie Was There For Best Picture
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
My theory: Pixar is going to lose this year... why? What happens when there's two Pixar movies...

Unless the Good Dinosaur isn't that good...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Looks like a solid list. Never heard of some of the other titles but have been taking the time look further into them.
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
My theory: Pixar is going to lose this year... why? What happens when there's two Pixar movies...

There's also the Peanuts Movie. Charlie Brown is probably the most iconic human character in comic strips, and word is the film captures Schulz's spirit very well. It could be the one to beat Pixar.

But yeah, Boy & the Beast should at least be nominated. I cringed when I saw Wolf Children get the shaft a couple years ago, a far better film than any of the Best Picture nods that year.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:

Based on the trailers and previews I'm seeing... The Good Dinosaur doesn't look at all interesting. But who knows... it could prove to be a big money-maker for them.

The Peanuts Movie could bring an upset though, now that I'm thinking about it. Although against Inside Out... who knows?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Unlike last year, there's a pretty good crop of animated films this year, so I doubt any of these will win. Marnie might at least be nominated though. It's only hope for winning might be if the voters split between Inside Out, Peanuts, and Good Dinosaur pretty evenly enough to lower their tallies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2