• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun English Dub Casts Ty Mahany as Nozaki

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Ok....

SOLD! That was TOO funny! I've only heard Ty on Akame ga KILL! as Su, but he sounds great here.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! Totally unexpected, too. I've only heard Ty in Devil Survivor 2's anime as Jungo, and since he barely talks I didn't get to hear him much. But holy crap, it fits just right.

Though honestly I expected Nozaki to be the last or the second-to-last character they would preview the English dub for. Hopefully this means Sakura will be coming up next.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I remember the Japanese VA sounding more monotone, while this VA has a more "Whatever..." tone to his voice.

AND THAT'S JUST FINE, because I laughed either way! Laughing

I can't wait to hear who they cast as Chiyo Sakura. Still hoping for Juliet Simmons. Smile
TheAAA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
That was pretty decent. Of all the VA's we've heard so far I actually think I like Mikoshiba's the least. It's not bad but it just doesn't sound quite right to me. Ty's take on Nozaki is definitely a little different from what I imagined but it works well.

This show getting dubbed makes me wish there was a TV network in the US that would show shoujo and romcom anime. All we get is action stuff on Toonami and the occasional kids show.
fastandman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
it is good news to hear that one of my favorite shows is getting dubbed. i am going to buy this once it comes out.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh...I loved that scene! I'm hoping that Hanabee offer the CE of this series (it's likely they will), as I definitely view this series as one that is worth the extra $.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'm not really familiar with Ty Mahany, but he nailed Nozaki!

Also, once again, THIS ANIME PREMIERED IN JULY, NOT APRIL.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Am i the only one that thinks they all sound horrible? They have no feeling in the role and it seems like their voices don't fit their faces at all. I never liked sentai filmworks dubs at all. Especially Akame ga Kill. But this may take the top of the one i hate the most by far.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Sounds wonderful, loving this cast so far! Thank you again passionate office work... -cough- I mean asking fans -cough- for letting this go from a barebones sub only release to a dubbed Collectors edition release! Can't wait till next month! Anime smile
Altorrin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
Am i the only one that thinks they all sound horrible? They have no feeling in the role and it seems like their voices don't fit their faces at all. I never liked sentai filmworks dubs at all. Especially Akame ga Kill. But this may take the top of the one i hate the most by far.

No, I felt that way, too, and Mikorin's voice sounds incredibly forced. I'm not sure why it's that deep in a fake sounding way. This sounds terrible and I say that as someone who loves dubs and is generally not very critical of them.

I don't know how they could mess up something so simple.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
kiminobokuwa wrote:

No, I felt that way, too, and Mikorin's voice sounds incredibly forced. I'm not sure why it's that deep in a fake sounding way. This sounds terrible and I say that as someone who loves dubs and is generally not very critical of them.

I don't know how they could mess up something so simple.

Nozaki`s voice is too young sounding, it`s not dead or deep enough for the role.

Also Mikoto Mikoshiba his voice is goofy and always sounds like he`s just making a joke out of it.

Now with Monica Rial`s voice, I enjoy it for the most part.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:
Nozaki`s voice is too young sounding, it`s not dead or deep enough for the role.

You DO know Nozaki's just a highchooler, right? If he sounds young, that's probably the reason. Neutral
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
ChrissyC wrote:

You DO know Nozaki's just a highchooler, right? If he sounds young, that's probably the reason. Neutral

There's a time when it's needed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzveg8Wb-SE
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1